GsmArena's review of WP 8.1: We didn't do our homework properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Also u forgot to mention u cannot download YouTube videos to SD card. It is always stored in application. You annoy transfer those videos also. At least in Android you have tube mate where u can download any videos into so card. Android is a true multitasking os which lags ND freezes but it is more useful than wp 8.1.i love my windows phone though but only due to performance it offers in the mid end segment if it's high end one should definitely go for iPhone or Android. Wp is winner in low ND mid end not in high end.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

u know thats piracy/copyright for 95% of youtube videos

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
He paid for a product. It's his right to complain for whatever he wants. But with your logic since you know piracy cracked apks etc.... Don't be a developer! :p

he paid for a product but if he wants certain apps which are paid , he should pay for them instead of complaining
he didnt buy the phone from an app dev right
all microsoft apps are free, they only charge for the phone not for their own apps/services
third party apps which are paid are justified
would u develop something only for free?(not talking abt open source)
if he knew of these "limitations", he shouldnt have bought it
microsoft technically has the right to allow or disallow features from being added, so he wont have the right to complain about missing features because he knew what he was getting into
its like siri and the iphone 4, apple wasnt obliged or they werent promising to add siri to iphone 4, its a new feature, its their choice
its not like they remote bricked the phone or rendered it unusable

Last edited:

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Oh you think all Android users do not pay for good apps. Sorry you left the flagship Android users who spend dollars on great apps ND game not all go for sideload apks.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

who u kidding prasath? in our country itself,android used to be the most popular os, did u ever see ur own friends pay for apps on the play store?
cmon be serious,maybe some people in us/uk might actually buy them but other countries no
im just stating facts based on what ive seen not generalising
even my friends with htc one , galaxy s4 etc still pirate stuff
i pay for all my apps or use open source/ad-based alternatives
i paid roughly $300 for each phone and im not complaining to buy apps,i like it , i buy it

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Actually I agree with the poster above that 90% of the regions do not have unlimited data.

I would also like to suggest that we need to motivate good developers by buying their products. Only then the OS will grow.

If we expect every feature to be inbuilt in the OS, then update for the features also be available only with an OS update.

If we buy a standalone app, then the chances of frequent updates are higher.

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

totally agreed!!
plus we need to attract devs, my friends have stopped developing for android because people started sideloading their apps

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah. Agreed with post above. People need to get paid for their hard work.

Yep. Agree with everyone.
My point is:
If you are running a business or working for a firm, imagine someone else takes the fruits of your labour. They get paid or rewarded for your efforts.
Will you like it?

Its the same with developers.

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
who u kidding prasath? in our country itself,android used to be the most popular os, did u ever see ur own friends pay for apps on the play store?
cmon be serious,maybe some people in us/uk might actually buy them but other countries no
im just stating facts based on what ive seen not generalising
even my friends with htc one , galaxy s4 etc still pirate stuff
i pay for all my apps or use open source/ad-based alternatives
i paid roughly $300 for each phone and im not complaining to buy apps,i like it , i buy it

First, you are generalizing. Secondly, you are reaching so badly right now. Third, just stop dude.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
totally agreed!!
plus we need to attract devs, my friends have stopped developing for android because people started sideloading their apps

I think, this notion that majority of people sideload apps on Android is a baldfaced mistruth, unless you have numbers stating that fact. In my own experience (since everyone is pulling anecdotes from everywhere) average Android users use only the play store and never go outside of it. Think really hard about it, I highly doubt your friends stopped developing for Android because of sideloading. Was there app actually any good? Was it priced highly above value? Those are the questions I have. Take a look for everyone agreeing with this "sideloading" nonsense:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/topselling_paid

That is the top selling apps on Android with millions of installs between them with MineCraft (A $7.00 game no less) with 1,000,000 - 5,000,000 installs. Yeah side loading is so rampant on Android, give me a break.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I almost punched my computer monitor reading this:

"[h=3]What's still missing:[/h]
  • System-wide file manager
  • Options for more quick toggles
  • Battery percentage on the status bar
  • Richer app catalog
  • Cortana is some way behind Android and iOS rivals"
Some simply just don't get it. Since when is a file manager something that's "missing"?

iOS has been like this since the start - why not take a hit iOS, hmm?

"Options for more quick toggles" - If they are referring to turning off mobile data, then yes. but otherwise, everything is there and customisable..

"Battery percentage on the status bar" - flip down the action center and boom, battery percentage. are these reviewers serious?

"Richer App Catalog" - absolutely nothing to do with the OS. Yet another lame addition to the review.

"Cortana is still some way behind its competitors" - Hmm, I wonder why? Oh that's right, it's in BETA.

That's actually the first or second time i've visited GSMArena - I won't ever visit again. Not because i'm being fanboyish or anything like that - my view on the review was nothing but professional. The issue at hand is that it just misses the point in so many ways, and it truly feels like they spent 10 minutes with the OS before reviewing it. Appalling.

I just read the review. Its a solid review. Probably the best one I have read so far. Honestly, it was a really good read. It was not biased at all. I love my WP device and that was solid. I was expecting the worst ******* review in the world. Seriously, not bad at all. I would actually recommend it to people who are thinking about making a switch. Its honest, but not biased. The editor gave so much props to 8.1.
He understood that it was a preview the whole time. He was pointing out all the bugs that many of us have been talking about - beta issues on Cortana, toggles not switching off and on. Many things I have seen on the forums. I know we love our device, but lets take a step back a bit. Level out.

This only concerns the people who hated on the review.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
he paid for a product but if he wants certain apps which are paid , he should pay for them instead of complaining
he didnt buy the phone from an app dev right
all microsoft apps are free, they only charge for the phone not for their own apps/services
third party apps which are paid are justified
would u develop something only for free?(not talking abt open source)
if he knew of these "limitations", he shouldnt have bought it
microsoft technically has the right to allow or disallow features from being added, so he wont have the right to complain about missing features because he knew what he was getting into
its like siri and the iphone 4, apple wasnt obliged or they werent promising to add siri to iphone 4, its a new feature, its their choice
its not like they remote bricked the phone or rendered it unusable

Think real hard. How many free apps are actually available since you are asking why should it be free. Do you not appreciate free apps? Or do you think all apps should be paid? Because there are a lot of free apps that make companies successful (candyCrush, Instagram, Twitter, Whatsapp, Temple Run (Imangi Studies), hell Google is a prime example, they almost 100% of their money from ads alone.

ilektrolo

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
'funny' thing is that some apps on android and ios are free and here at wp are for purchase.we are not making charities here.we always treated as 3rd class customers.facebook messenger anounced 5.0 version for ios and android and we still hace 3.1.0.0!the bad comments and reviews for 8.1 its not for trolling.its due to hype.noone reviewer before developers preview release mentioned that picture and music hub has changed,new cursor method,cobalt theme colour and other changes.so you had in your mind everything will be as it was before but plus the new features!also gsm arena's review is fine

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
First, you are generalizing. Secondly, you are reaching so badly right now. Third, just stop dude.

says the guy who is yet to buy and experience a windows phone and keeps raving about android
im not generalising
android is not a god os,it has its own flaws, admit it and move on instead on attacking me

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I think, this notion that majority of people sideload apps on Android is a baldfaced mistruth, unless you have numbers stating that fact. In my own experience (since everyone is pulling anecdotes from everywhere) average Android users use only the play store and never go outside of it. Think really hard about it, I highly doubt your friends stopped developing for Android because of sideloading. Was there app actually any good? Was it priced highly above value? Those are the questions I have. Take a look for everyone agreeing with this "sideloading" nonsense:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/topselling_paid

That is the top selling apps on Android with millions of installs between them with MineCraft (A $7.00 game no less) with 1,000,000 - 5,000,000 installs. Yeah side loading is so rampant on Android, give me a break.

like i said , on paper and in real life differs considerably

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
says the guy who is yet to buy and experience a windows phone and keeps raving about android
im not generalising
android is not a god os,it has its own flaws, admit it and move on instead on attacking me

I'm not raving about anything. Android, iOS, WP, and BB10 have flaws. Nothing is perfect. No one is attacking you. Asking for facts to back up statements and generalizations is having a sensible argument.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm not raving about anything. Android, iOS, WP, and BB10 have flaws. Nothing is perfect. No one is attacking you. Asking for facts to back up statements and generalizations is having a sensible argument.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

i must ask how am i generalising if i have owned flagship phones (and still do) of every os except BB10??
u havent even tried wp8 properly and have jumped to the conclusion that android is a os meant for gods or something and doesnt have any flaws despite some of us already mentioning our experiences and articles to prove that wrong

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
'funny' thing is that some apps on android and ios are free and here at wp are for purchase.we are not making charities here.we always treated as 3rd class customers.facebook messenger anounced 5.0 version for ios and android and we still hace 3.1.0.0!the bad comments and reviews for 8.1 its not for trolling.its due to hype.noone reviewer before developers preview release mentioned that picture and music hub has changed,new cursor method,cobalt theme colour and other changes.so you had in your mind everything will be as it was before but plus the new features!also gsm arena's review is fine

the fb app for wp8 is one of the best ive seen , it has lagged like crazy on my ipads(2,3,4) and on my nexus (4 and 7) whereas it runs near perfect on my 720 and 820

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Think real hard. How many free apps are actually available since you are asking why should it be free. Do you not appreciate free apps? Or do you think all apps should be paid? Because there are a lot of free apps that make companies successful (candyCrush, Instagram, Twitter, Whatsapp, Temple Run (Imangi Studies), hell Google is a prime example, they almost 100% of their money from ads alone.

i do appreciate free apps , but it should have quality not some shortcut to some web page(youtube app for wp8, which actually is due to googles stupidity)
i prefer apps which have quality, should be free and should be from a respected dev
sadly whatsapp doesnt take efforts to maintain whatsapp on any of their platforms except ios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720