Visit site
I almost punched my computer monitor reading this:

"[h=3]What's still missing:[/h]
  • System-wide file manager
  • Options for more quick toggles
  • Battery percentage on the status bar
  • Richer app catalog
  • Cortana is some way behind Android and iOS rivals"
Some simply just don't get it. Since when is a file manager something that's "missing"?

iOS has been like this since the start - why not take a hit iOS, hmm?

"Options for more quick toggles" - If they are referring to turning off mobile data, then yes. but otherwise, everything is there and customisable..

"Battery percentage on the status bar" - flip down the action center and boom, battery percentage. are these reviewers serious?

"Richer App Catalog" - absolutely nothing to do with the OS. Yet another lame addition to the review.

"Cortana is still some way behind its competitors" - Hmm, I wonder why? Oh that's right, it's in BETA.

That's actually the first or second time i've visited GSMArena - I won't ever visit again. Not because i'm being fanboyish or anything like that - my view on the review was nothing but professional. The issue at hand is that it just misses the point in so many ways, and it truly feels like they spent 10 minutes with the OS before reviewing it. Appalling.

alex_froilan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I take it that it was mostly a Prasad guy who constructed the review. I hear there's a lot of Microsoft criticism at gsmarena, and also on Pocketnow (Jaime and Doud).

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I almost punched my computer monitor reading this:

"[h=3]What's still missing:[/h]
  • System-wide file manager
  • Options for more quick toggles
  • Battery percentage on the status bar
  • Richer app catalog
  • Cortana is some way behind Android and iOS rivals"
Some simply just don't get it. Since when is a file manager something that's "missing"?

iOS has been like this since the start - why not take a hit iOS, hmm?

"Options for more quick toggles" - If they are referring to turning off mobile data, then yes. but otherwise, everything is there and customisable..

"Battery percentage on the status bar" - flip down the action center and boom, battery percentage. are these reviewers serious?

"Richer App Catalog" - absolutely nothing to do with the OS. Yet another lame addition to the review.

"Cortana is still some way behind its competitors" - Hmm, I wonder why? Oh that's right, it's in BETA.

That's actually the first or second time i've visited GSMArena - I won't ever visit again. Not because i'm being fanboyish or anything like that - my view on the review was nothing but professional. The issue at hand is that it just misses the point in so many ways, and it truly feels like they spent 10 minutes with the OS before reviewing it. Appalling.

System-wide file manager is indeed something that's missing. It's a feature that even old Symbian Nokia phones years ago had. It's something iOS is also missing, but WP should aim to be better than iOS.

You're right about the rest, anyhow.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
System-wide file manager is indeed something that's missing. It's a feature that even old Symbian Nokia phones years ago had. It's something iOS is also missing, but WP should aim to be better than iOS.

You're right about the rest, anyhow.

I think it's needed to some extent for phones with SD Card storage. I store all my files on Onedrive so it's not quite as bothersome, but yeah I see the gripe people have it.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think because Michael came from being a real WebOS enthusiast that he can appreciate the underdogs and less favourable OS'. Do yourself a favour all: open your Podcast app and subscribe to the Pocketnow Weekly - he is awesome on there and while some of the guys can say some stupid things about WP, Michael Fisher interjects and updates with fact. He's a really unbiased tech buff.

acewing905

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I think it's needed to some extent for phones with SD Card storage. I store all my files on Onedrive so it's not quite as bothersome, but yeah I see the gripe people have it.
OneDrive is not a solution for a majority of users in the world. A lot of people who have frequent access to high speed WiFi or have unlimited data plans seem to often forget that there is a world beyond the minority that they are.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It makes me so angry some reviewer does not praise every aspect of my OS of choice./s

The missing parts are all valid complaints. And just because they make one review you don`t like you write them off for good? You guys sound like BlackBerry fans right now when reviewers didn`t give BlackBerry a fair shake. I implore you guys to shake it off and keep it moving, it`s not that serious. If you like WP8.1 then you don`t need a reviewer to validate your preferences.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Lisa Gade from MobileTechReview is also very good.

I have been watching her reviews for years. If you don`t mind long in-depth reviews she is the best. Michael Fisher comes right next to her. Those are the ones I watch if I want to see a video review of a device.

boasist

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
The app catalog for Windows Phone is incredibly lacking, I don't get why so many people don't think so. I can see that your use of the phone doesn't bring you to lots of apps, or specific apps that don't exist at all (like myself). But in comparison, as a whole, to android or ios, it's lacking big time.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The app catalog for Windows Phone is incredibly lacking, I don't get why so many people don't think so. I can see that your use of the phone doesn't bring you to lots of apps, or specific apps that don't exist at all (like myself). But in comparison, as a whole, to android or ios, it's lacking big time.

There complaining that its voiced in a OS review. The store have nothing to do with the OS. If there is a app gap or not is irrelevant. I also would like to call BS on making a full review of 8.1 because its not a finished product yet. It's a Developer Preview.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Lacking in what? Useless game apps for adolescents?

It's time to be more specific in saying this?

There are some quality apps missing,some of these are just for ios or android,and if you choose to lament over the fact that they aren't ported over that can't be helped.

The Windows store is getting better every day,and will continue to.

The one thing I have always known being a long time IOS and Android user is more isn't always better.

Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb