Lumia 920 - WP8.1 Preview for Devs and Battery life

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
There are many threads talking about solutions for a better battery efficiency after WP 8.1 Preview for Devs. I think that ALMOST all are valid and can help us to save battery. Despite this, I have a theory about the expense of the battery which is confirming every day:

Each device has its own specifications and there is no way to generalize settings. So much so that manufacturers release updates specific to each device (and that let users angered by the delay, but now we can see how this delay is required);

I'm going to take my example here:

I have an unlocked Lumia 920 (Brazilian model-RM-821 _ Ita_brazil_253) and after updating my battery drains A LOT. I changed settings for applications that run in the background, changed email settings, I removed the image behind the tiles, I left the brightness in low, disabled the Cortana, disabled the location, anyway, I did everything! And what happened is that almost nothing has changed.

Despite the Location spend enough battery (and leave disabled is a great idea to save battery) I saw that what really worn battery is to use the device! Today for example, where did I leave the WiFi on all day since 6:30 am, WhatsApp messages answered, checked my Facebook, checked my emails, I heard music for about 1 hour on Deezer and did some other little things: my battery is now at 77% (4:30 pm). My device is in Stand By almost all the time and I only use it when something arrives.

My opinion is that what really worn battery is the screen of the device, which is nothing new for us! WHAT'S REALLY MISSING IS THE FIRMWARE UPDATE FROM NOKIA FOR THIS TYPE OF CORRECTION. And that is specific to each device. We have to wait and be patient. The version of WP 8.1 we are using is practically raw and without the necessary improvements that the manufacturers of the devices need to perform.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That would make sense.... however the battery drain is no more than WP8 on the same hardware. For me and others.

Some 920 users experience battery drain issues, and others don't. Likely related to usage patterns. 8.1 just makes the issue more prevalent.

Personally I think the issue is related to GPS in the baseband firmware. Cortana/WP8.1 uses GPS much more and so more people are seeing the impact of that.

Why baseband? Because if you power off the phone and restart it, the drain bug goes away. If you simply reboot the phone (I.e. shutdown with charger attached), it remains. Because the drain bug survives a reboot, but not a power off it must be in the low level hardware (like baseband processor). I say GPS because it often follows use of location services.

But... it could be something else... that is the wonder of bugs like this.

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
That would make sense.... however the battery drain is no more than WP8 on the same hardware. For me and others.

Some 920 users experience battery drain issues, and others don't. Likely related to usage patterns. 8.1 just makes the issue more prevalent.

Personally I think the issue is related to GPS in the baseband firmware. Cortana/WP8.1 uses GPS much more and so more people are seeing the impact of that.

Why baseband? Because if you power off the phone and restart it, the drain bug goes away. If you simply reboot the phone (I.e. shutdown with charger attached), it remains. Because the drain bug survives a reboot, but not a power off it must be in the low level hardware (like baseband processor). I say GPS because it often follows use of location services.

But... it could be something else... that is the wonder of bugs like this.

What you said just confirms my theory! Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo