Weird clock issue on wp 8.1

Aanze

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm regulary facing a strange issue with the clock settings on my device, a lumia 1020.

I'm in France, and my local time settings are automatically set to Cairo (UTC+2) as it should be set on GMT+2 Paris. Even if it's basically the same time value it appears to cause some intermittent malfunctions of my time settings: sometimes I realize that my emails and tiles won't update anymore and my text messages cannot be sent.
When I check the time value, it's incorrect, like shifted 30 minutes in advance.. Rebooting the phone will cause a complete reset of my date and time settings which will take an arbitrary value (like March 23th 2013).
I have then to manually set it to the right time and check back the "automatic settings" in order to go back to normal.

I've tried a factory reset of the device but it didn't change this behaviour. I also don't understand why I can only choose between UTC values in my time settings whereas my other device (l520) that I updated simultaneously to WP 8.1 proposes the GMT values and doesn't encounter this issue. Although there IS a UTC Paris timezone that I can select, but it doesn't take the summer time in account and set me to 1 hour before the real time..

Does anyone face the same issue ?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why the date and time would be wrong. Do you have location turned on?

UTC is the modern terminology. GMT is actually an archaic term nowadays.

I'm in the USA, and I also have UTC time.

See my attached screenshot.
by5uty9y.png

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
may be it has to do something with the developers preview with the possibility of having a bug. I would suggest you keep it manual for the time being until 8.1 official update is released. You can also use the diagonostics app by microsoft to report this problem. Hope microsoft notices it

Sent from my RM-941_im_india_204 using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm regulary facing a strange issue with the clock settings on my device, a lumia 1020.

I'm in France, and my local time settings are automatically set to Cairo (UTC+2) as it should be set on GMT+2 Paris. Even if it's basically the same time value it appears to cause some intermittent malfunctions of my time settings: sometimes I realize that my emails and tiles won't update anymore and my text messages cannot be sent.
When I check the time value, it's incorrect, like shifted 30 minutes in advance.. Rebooting the phone will cause a complete reset of my date and time settings which will take an arbitrary value (like March 23th 2013).
I have then to manually set it to the right time and check back the "automatic settings" in order to go back to normal.

I've tried a factory reset of the device but it didn't change this behaviour. I also don't understand why I can only choose between UTC values in my time settings whereas my other device (l520) that I updated simultaneously to WP 8.1 proposes the GMT values and doesn't encounter this issue. Although there IS a UTC Paris timezone that I can select, but it doesn't take the summer time in account and set me to 1 hour before the real time..

Does anyone face the same issue ?

may be it has to do something with the developers preview with the possibility of having a bug. I would suggest you keep it manual for the time being until 8.1 official update is released. You can also use the diagonostics app by microsoft to report this problem. Hope microsoft notices it

I agree that it is a bug. We have Daylight Saving Time here in the USA, and my UMT -5 setting does take into account that we are currently using Daylight Saving Time.

dbooth2

May 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm in the UK and I also found my time and date were incorrect after installing WP8.1 - the date was about a month out (it thought it was something like 23rd March when it was 18th April) and the clock was saying it was 4am instead of 3pm. I turned off the automatic clock sync and set both manually to fix. I've had my Lumia 1020 for 6 months and never had any problems with the clock auto sync whilst it was running WP8.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I agree that it is a bug. We have Daylight Saving Time here in the USA, and my UMT -5 setting does take into account that we are currently using Daylight Saving Time.

Thanks for clearing it out that it is a bug

I am from India using UTC + 05:30 time zone hence not experiencing this problem. Hope microsoft fixes this serious issue. Moreover this bug might cause thirdparty apps to malfunction . Even system apps such as messaging etc wil be affected

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I had exactly the same date time issue and corrected the same way, manually
The day after I set to auto and it corrected the date and time, no big deal as it is a dev preview but it should be noted for reference

As a side note I was glad my phone was on silent, it began re downloading emails and texts until I corrected the date, it was like a self inflicted d dos attack lol

Aanze

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all for your replies, I guess I'm not the only one facing this issue.

I will keep updating it manually until an eventual fix later.

Aanze

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why the date and time would be wrong. Do you have location turned on?

UTC is the modern terminology. GMT is actually an archaic term nowadays.

I'm in the USA, and I also have UTC time.

See my attached screenshot.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/23/by5uty9y.png

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Well I agree that UTC and GMT are the same but:
- Choosing UTC (Paris) will shift me 1 hour before the real time
- Choosing UTC (Cairo) will bring me the correct time

On the l520 updated the same day with WP 8.1 preview:
- I can only choose GMT values
- Choosing GMT (Paris) bring me the correct time.

There is clearly something weird here..

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not a bug as such, it's the way that Windows Phone gets the date/time.

It doesn't use internet time servers, but uses a signal generated by your cell provider

NITZ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, if your carrier doesn't support the protocol, or gives you weird results then that's why.

I just keep mine on "Manual" and make sure it's within a minute of the real time.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Just did a soft reset and my date is now 20 July 2013! Is there a fix for this bug yet?

That is not a fault, when you do a soft reset it resets the time. Also sometimes after a soft reset the tiles will not update until you power off and then back on again. So if you do a soft reset in future set the time after and then power the phone off and then on again.

munk2000

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue, except my time is always exactly -45mins. It happens when I lose my cell signal while traveling through dead spots. I have to change my time zone under the date+time settings then put it back in auto. When this happens, my email will not sync automatically.

Ashutosh Kumar72

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I cannot change my timezone (it is blank, with no option). I had already done the hard reset 2-3 times and soft reset many times.

Due to this (I think) my apps are stuck at pending stage and even the calendar is not working.

Please help

Regards,

AshutoshKumar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss