If eduroam did not work before 8.1 it likely won't work now (TTLS PAP is only available via MDM)

marbla

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I may be biased because I have been waiting for this feature for a very long time but I think that there is a rather large issue with the EAP-TTLS/TLS support in WP8.1 that concerns a lot of users that requested the feature. It turns out that using PAP as an inner identification is only possible through MDM ("mobile device management" is rather expensive software that companies use to manage mobile devices in their network).

C6cawkBBhppbAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
mahoekst
@MarkusBlaurock this is working only through MDM configuration at the moment. I passed along the wish for a UI to configure it manually
22/04/14 23:55

The reason this is a big deal, is that most eduroam networks (eduroam.org) run through that protocol and I don't have to tell you that these institutions won't pay MDM fees to get their students on WiFi. If you look at the threads in user voice you'll see the people like me that requested the feature finding out that it does not work. Just one example:

Add EAP-TLS Authentication support for WiFi – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

Personally I feel kind of sad about this. I have been waiting for this feature since my Lumia 800 and there has been all that talk about this coming since years without anything happening. Now it's there but really it isn't after all. This wouldn't be as bad if the whole thing wasn't supported by iOS, Android, Blackberry, WebOS and Symbian. I was actually surprised when I bought my first windows phone and found out that it is not supported.

P.S. Before folks post and tell me that their specific eduroam wifi works: Not all eduroam networks use this mode of authentication, but most do.

chandy227

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Oh damnit. Every time I try to connect to eduroam at my university I get the message "Your phone cannot connect to this network." I assume that means mine is incompatible. My university has another WiFi that works but they are retiring it after April and exclusively going to use eduroam. I really hope a fix is coming because I don't think I have a enough data in my plan to run on LTE all day at school and get things I need to do on my phone done.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm...I have to check on this tomorrow when I get to the campus. I will also check with our Computing Services about this. As of now, at least at my university, Eduroam seems to work on WP8.1 (though I prefer to stay on my data connection as a parallel network in case there are problems with the Univ. network (which happens!)). Hopefully, that won't change. But, I'll check and report back.

marbla

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Kristalsoldier that would be interesting to know. It is likely that your school runs a version of eduroam with MSCHAPV2 as opposed to TTLS PAP.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Kristalsoldier that would be interesting to know. It is likely that your school runs a version of eduroam with MSCHAPV2 as opposed to TTLS PAP.

Actually, yes it does, which is also why when I checked today, Eduroam was working just fine on my Surface 2 and Lumia 720 with WP 8.1. I just hope this holds at other universities in the UK that I may visit over the course of the summer. If not, then there is always the data connection to fall-back on though coverage is always an issue.

Edit: Needless to say, IT Services were clueless about this!!!!

marbla

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Well from experience you should have no problems with your surface. That's the whole thing I don't understand. They have everything figured out in Windows rt without even needing any configuration but leave it out of Windows phone.

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

DD F

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
It seems that people in Europe have less trouble connecting to eduroam with the windows phone than do people in the States.

I am at the University of Massachusetts and windows phone 8 and 8.1 don't seem to be able to connect to eduroam.

I don't know why.
It is very frustrating though.

rabidllama

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
My phone (Lumia 930) has always been a bit hit and miss as to whether it will connect to eduroam or not (in Heidelberg in Germany). Today it decided it won't connect at all, other times it will connect but then after inactivity I will need to log in again and then it will refuse. Never had much of a problem with other phones.

It's a shame as I really like my Windows phone, but so many stupid issues with it that just ruins the whole experience. Hopefully it will be better when Windows 10 comes out as I can't see them doing any updates now to 8

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes