Why can't Ringer AND Notifications be seperate?

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
No. I personally preferred having a single volume because now I can't even change media volume via the rocker before I start playing media, and other various reasons.

KISS

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
No. I personally preferred having a single volume because now I can't even change media volume via the rocker before I start playing media, and other various reasons.

KISS

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

I agree with you. I don't like separate volume controls. I either want my phone to make noise or to be silent. When would I want to silence my ringer but have app volume turned up? It's annoying that I can't just volume down, now I have to volume down...oops, not on the right one...tap the down arrow...okay, now I can volume down.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The volume rocker should apply to what you're doing at the time, for instance: in a game/music/media situation, it should turn volume up/down for media. The same applies in situations where you'd want to turn ringer+notifications up/down.

The reason's for separate volume controls should be pretty apparent. There's a reason many people were clamoring for it.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The volume rocker should apply to what you're doing at the time, for instance: in a game/music/media situation, it should turn volume up/down for media. The same applies in situations where you'd want to turn ringer+notifications up/down.

The reason's for separate volume controls should be pretty apparent. There's a reason many people were clamoring for it.

Yes the volume rocker does control what you're doing currently, but as my post stated, if you read it carefully, I often want to adjust the volume BEFORE I start DOING said thing. For instance: when the phone is connected to the aux jack on my car, I put the volume on max. Then later when in my home using the phones built-in speakers, I would of course want to turn the volume down to maybe halfway BEFORE I play media so that it doesn't come blaring out. I can't do that with the volume rocker if the music is not already playing, or the app isn't already open, which it probably won't be since I routinely use pinned albums or Cortana to play my music.

Either way you shake it, what used to be simply pressing the volume rocker, is now at least 3 if not more steps. You're convenient feature is my hassling change.

mariusfilip

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I'd prefer toggling my ringer and notification sounds separately. Wouldn't you prefer that?
This is also why i chose Nokia in the first place,simplicity...i think this option is a 'must have' ,even if you use Cortana and the 'inner circle' ,i don't use them,since i like to keep my phone in my native language...many users complain about this 'sound' problem, but a few write( like us)and barely a few respond,MS not beeing one of them...i've also written a thread about this... Mute notifications in WP8.1 , but seems like everyone likes to hear all the 'pings' and 'bings' and aaaa....''googles" in their pocket...there are a lot of requests in the user voice feedback, but there are many req that are written differently, a person wants 'profiles'...another wants 'inner circle like in symbian'...,another one wants sound settings like in old nokia phones...i think we may want the same thing,if MS gathered the votes,their servers would explode(aaaaaaaaa....there's the explanation) :)) I would really like something like profiles...but for now...not trying being a troll or something else(a...troll) :))...many are focused on little things IMO, like the 'heart' fot the battery saver back(an extreme example but....) and many other 'little' things, that,at least for me,as much as i like the simplicity of the UI, as much i've grown to dislike it's functionality sometimes.
It would help if you'd give my thread a bump,maybe there are solutions and we don't know them yet,thx :smile:

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
You guys know you can access both volume sliders from the rocker anytime by tapping the little down arrow symbol to the right?

aafa

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
You guys know you can access both volume sliders from the rocker anytime by tapping the little down arrow symbol to the right?

yes. but the original post is having the "Ringer and Notifications" toggle to be seperate. For instance, I want my ringtone to go off at a higher volume, but my whatsapp messages to be more subtle/less volume.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
yes. but the original post is having the "Ringer and Notifications" toggle to be seperate. For instance, I want my ringtone to go off at a higher volume, but my whatsapp messages to be more subtle/less volume.

Granted, however other people were saying they couldn't change volume before going into apps or starting media playback, which is not true.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Before, people were clamoring for separate controls, now they want a unified volume level.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Granted, however other people were saying they couldn't change volume before going into apps or starting media playback, which is not true.

It's not that I can't, which I know I can using the slider, but I liked just using the hardware buttons (1 step using hardware buttons) as opposed to, volume rocker, then expand arrow, then slider which is not as accurate as hardware buttons for changing volume maybe one notch because like it was 30, lowered it to 17, but I want it on 16, oops 15, oops 17, ok got it on 16. (at least 3 steps involving hardware buttons and touchscreen manipulation)

I suppose if I wanted to have it on 16 instead of 17 I could start the media at 17 which is an acceptable volume level then change it with the rocker to 16 but oh boy how many steps is that altogether now?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss