Surface Duo is on salefor over 50% off!

Okay after trial and error it worked on my Laptop using home wifi network with my 920.
    Will this work if my laptop is turned off if I am at home?

Other Scenarios are if I am away on my laptop at home, how do I remotely connect with it if I am not connected in the same network?

Edit: Phone Remote Desktop with the same network works fine.. But when my phone is on 3G/HSPA+ I can't connect to Remote Desktop. I already set forwarding to 3389 and I connect my Phone to the external IP of the modem.
    Last edited by AndrewL920; 04-23-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    04-23-2014 04:17 PM
    Okay after trial and error it worked on my Laptop using home wifi network with my 920.
    Will this work if my laptop is turned off if I am at home?
    No, Remote Desktop only works if the remote pc is on (it requires a service running in the PC)

Other Scenarios are if I am away on my laptop at home, how do I remotely connect with it if I am not connected in the same network?
    You need to know the external IP of your router and you need to open the RDP ports pointing to the IP of your computer (the internal network) .
    AndrewL920 likes this.
    04-23-2014 04:21 PM
    No, Remote Desktop only works if the remote pc is on (it requires a service running in the PC)

You need to know the external IP of your router and you need to open the RDP ports pointing to the IP of your computer (the internal network) .
    Thanks.. So If I am away using my mobile data, I can connect with my laptop at home as long as it is turned On. I already got my external IP but how do I open the RDP ports pointing to the IP of my computer (internal network)
    04-23-2014 04:27 PM
    Thanks.. So If I am away using my mobile data, I can connect with my laptop at home as long as it is turned On. I already got my external IP but how do I open the RDP ports pointing to the IP of my computer (internal network)
    To open ports you need to configure your router (generally open your web browser and point to 192.168.1.1 or something like this). Each router model is different, and you will need to check your router documentation. The port you need to open is 3389 (both UDP and RCP).

Also, maybe you'll want to set your laptop IP as static, and, if your router IP is not static also (not common), you will need a dynamic dns service (there are a lot DDNS for free).
    04-23-2014 04:58 PM
    What to do next? I also turned off my Windows Firewall.
    Attached Thumbnails port.jpg  
    04-23-2014 05:42 PM
    What to do next? I also turned off my Windows Firewall.
    - In the "Name" space put something like "Remote Desktop" or "RDP"
    - Begin and End put 3389 (Wan and Lan)
    - Server IP is your laptop IP

Now, try connecting using 3G, you must use the external IP from your modem
    04-23-2014 05:51 PM
    Quick suggestions...if you want to access your computer with out screwing with your firewall or rembering your ip address, look at teamviewer...works great for that.
    04-23-2014 06:43 PM
    - In the "Name" space put something like "Remote Desktop" or "RDP"
    - Begin and End put 3389 (Wan and Lan)
    - Server IP is your laptop IP

Now, try connecting using 3G, you must use the external IP from your modem
    I already set my modem forwardings udp/tcp to 3389 and server ip address which is the ipv4 of my laptop.. Then I connect my phone using HSPA into the external ip address 125.xx.xxx.xx and the router but i am getting error 0x204 in Remote Desktop. Connecting to the ip address 10.x.xx.xx does not work.

But when I connect remote desktop of the phone into the same Home Wifi Network, I do not have any problem.

NOTE: The IP inside my Router is 10.x.xx.xx while in http://www.whatismyip.com 125.xx.xxx.xxx
    Attached Thumbnails port2.jpg   port3.jpg  
    Last edited by AndrewL920; 04-23-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    04-23-2014 06:51 PM
    Try restarting your router and your PC

Sent from my RM-820_lta_lta1_272 using Tapatalk
    04-23-2014 07:58 PM
    Try restarting your router and your PC

Sent from my RM-820_lta_lta1_272 using Tapatalk
    I tried that no luck at all.. Is it possible that my ISP is blocking the port when I am trying to connect from outside?

I have found it here: READ ME FIRST - How do I access my device from outside my home network? - Dyn Community Forum
    "If your router has a WAN IP address that looks like 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x then you have what is known as an RFC-1918 IP address. You will need to contact your ISP to find out how to get a public IP address, or have traffic routed to you.

Another thing to consider is that some ISPs block incoming traffic on common server ports (or just anything below port 1024). If you're trying to access a web based service (that is, with a web browser), then try forwarding a different port (say 10080) to your device. If that works then your ISP is blocking traffic - WebHop may be one option here. For mail servers the Email Gateway service can help."

And also this: Different WAN IP and Public IP - SmallNetBuilder Forums

My Modem Router is "MYBRO WIMAX GREENPACKET DV-235T "

EDIT: I contacted my ISP and they do not have any idea on how to setup port forwarding.
    Last edited by AndrewL920; 04-23-2014 at 09:23 PM.
    04-23-2014 08:35 PM
    There are some web sites that can test your router ports.

But just remember that your external IP (your router to internet IP) is not static, it can change, you need a DDNS, try with no-ip for a free DDNS.

Sent from my Lumia 920 with WP8.1 using Tapatalk
    04-27-2014 12:23 PM