WP 8.1 on 1320 review

Louis Kora

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Just upgraded to WP 8.1 and everything seems to work properly:

- Easy to upgrade to 8.1 (but a little bit surprised as there were TWO upgrades: first one took about 20minutes; second one about 30min; but after that everything is fine).
- NO Data loss, everything is there and ready to use!
- Great UI with snappy responses.
- Battery life same as before (just one day of normal usage, so just a quick observation only).
- Action Center works well, just exactly what Android and iPhone have done.
- Cellular Network seems a little bit confused: Initially, there was a NO SERVICE situation. Tried to turn phone on/off a few times but no help. But after manually selected the network, it works ( Cellular SIM >> SIM setting >> Network Selection).

I have been an Android user for the last 2 years (a Galaxy Nexus with stock ROMs & CM mods). An Android just gets slower and slower after each Android upgrades; and I have to manually select the right ROM for best performance (which is quite a technical and time-consuming process for beginners). So when upgrading to WP 8.1, what strikes me the most is only 1 OS upgrade for all of devices, and it took me very little time to research and do the upgrade (1/5th of time compared to Android custom ROM flash). Cool !

However, the problem is the WP app ecology: no Dropbox, no proper FREE video player, no Map for Japan, no Youtube. Just fix this and WP's gonna be the market leader.

wp_ss_20140424_0001_Fotor.jpgwp_ss_20140424_0002_Fotor.jpg

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Try CloudSix and Metrotube or myTube for your Dropbox and YouTube needs. They aren't official, but it doesn't mean you should count them out, they are quite good. (and not by mobile website standards)

Welcome aboard!

Jose Fossatti

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
HI, thank's for the info, can you confirm if possible to move APPs to SDCard? it's supposed to be suported in 8.1 update, i'm considering 1320 and 1520 but price difference is a lot and this is the one thing make me think. thanks

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
HI, thank's for the info, can you confirm if possible to move APPs to SDCard? it's supposed to be suported in 8.1 update, i'm considering 1320 and 1520 but price difference is a lot and this is the one thing make me think. thanks
Go to your list of apps --> storage sense --> click on Phone --> click on app+games --> click on the app --> click on move to SD.

There might be some apps where the developer has disabled moving of app to SD card. In that case you won't be able to move it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Rather than Dropbox.... I've been using Box for years. They lured me in with free increase in storage for owning a certain device and I've never left. Tried Dropbox once but found it inferior. Box offers that free bump to 50 GB quite often with different device log-in criteria attached. (You only ever get it once... I got it for TouchPad, then when Nexus 4 had the offer I tried, but didn't get an extra 50. LOL)

Their official app works great on Windows Phone: Even on the smallest size, the tile shows me a new document count. True, you do have to manually download a Doc to your phone in order to access it via native WinPho Office, but I think the same applies to Dropbox? (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) Box does have a plugin for Office on your computer which integrates a "Save to Box" button on the ribbon. Love that feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos