Here Drive + Freezing.....very often

Richard Durishin

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I drove across the state of Connecticut today using Here Drive +, which has been my go-to navi app since it came out of beta.

Today, though, it locked incessantly, dangerously. It is probably the first time I have used it since upgrading to the 8.1 preview. It is also the first time I have used it with the app selected as my preferred navi app. I looked up the destination in my contacts file, tapped on "Map Location," then, tapped on through to start the nav. It must have locked up 6 times in the first 60 miles. Hammmm.

Anyone else with a 1020 - or any other NOK phone have this issue with 8.1 Preview installed and Cortana on?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hmm since I upgraded to 8.1 I haven't had the chance to actually drive around for fun, but before the update I used Here very often.. Imma keep an eye out from now on! Thanks for mentioning this..
I might report back tomorrow :) I have a 925 btw

vonskie

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
With 8.1 my 1020 twice so far would not wake up, I had to do a soft reset.

This developer preview is feeling more like a beta. I may try to revert back to WP 8 till they get the lock ups fixed. I wish the phone had an error log and it would tell you what program was non responsive that way you could uninstall it.

Well it just messed up again so make that 3 soft resets since I installed wp 8.1

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I drove across the state of Connecticut today using Here Drive +, which has been my go-to navi app since it came out of beta.

Today, though, it locked incessantly, dangerously. It is probably the first time I have used it since upgrading to the 8.1 preview. It is also the first time I have used it with the app selected as my preferred navi app. I looked up the destination in my contacts file, tapped on "Map Location," then, tapped on through to start the nav. It must have locked up 6 times in the first 60 miles. Hammmm.

Anyone else with a 1020 - or any other NOK phone have this issue with 8.1 Preview installed and Cortana on?

I definitely had the same problem. But I uninstalled HERE Drive + and reinstalled it and it seems to be better now. I also precached my region and I'm not sure if I had that before. It's definitely something that could help though.

As for Waze, I'm actually having problems with that too! In WP8, it used to work amazingly well with the screen off. Now it will stop telling you what to do, and when you turn the screen back on, it sometimes doesn't resume for me. Pressing Windows Key then Back seems to kick it back on though.

I also tried CoPilot, which I like very much, but if you don't let it run in the background in Battery Saver, then turn off the screen and turn it back on, it will say "No GPS" and fail to resume navigation. Deal breaker for me.

Durishin

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Similar experience to mine, though I have always downloaded the maps prior to needing them. What was interesting was that, if a call came in or a text, the app would freeze. I'll see if Waze is now buggy too. And, I too had that issue with CoPilot, which was a deal-breaker. I was a big Navigon fan but, once on the 1020, it ate more battery than the 2.0 amp car charger I have could provide. So, If I was driving across country and involved in a 40 minute or hour-long conference call I would, at some point, totally drain the battery.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been using waze the last couple of days and idd waze did freeze once or twice.. I had to relaunch the app to get my directions.. I have yet to test Here

ChromeDome#WP

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Exactly same problem with Here Drive since the 8.1 update (L1520)
Really frustrating since I drive to potential new clients lots of times per week.

Just installed to latest update and will test today to see if improved - but a really nasty bug :angry:

ToreKirk

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with Nokia Drive on my Lumia 925, but the other day i discovered the following:
If the phone is connected to the charger in the car, it freezes quite frequently.
But if I disconnect it and let it run from the battery, it does not freeze at all.
The problem with that is the active navigation drains the battery quite fast.

Anyone experiencing the same?
I bought a general USB car charger I believe from electronics store. Should I use an original Nokia charger?

ToreK

kevntrace

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My 520 has been incredibly laggy since installing the preview. I also had Here Drive+ totally freeze my phone when navigating in the car. The phone was plugged into my charger, and I received an incoming call.

Had to pull over, pull the battery from my 520, and start all over again. This never happened on 8.0, which was rock solid. TBH its rocked my faith in 8.1 a little.

I installed the latest update to 8.1 today, and the laggyness seems to be much improved. Still not as good as 8.0 though. Haven't had a chance to try Here Drive+ yet.

danielgray

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes very buggy, crashes if switching to another app and drains battery to much. Also freezes a lot making it difficult to rely on. No update from Nokia on. 8.1..

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Last week Here Drive+ started doing this on my at&t 1520 32 GB. It had worked well for months even on 8.1 Preview. I now have the regular 8.1 release and it is freezing. I've had the regular 8.1 release for awhile and it worked fine but now it is freezing.

I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and I am still getting the freezing.

Anyone heard anything from MSFT or Nokia regarding this? Here Drive+ is one of the reasons I got the phone.

BigwaveMx

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Las week I just bought a L1020 and since I update to Cyan, Here Drive + freezes every 5 minutes. I tried uninstalling the app and even I delete the off line maps and I downloaded again and still the same issue.

ewgoforth

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Las week I just bought a L1020 and since I update to Cyan, Here Drive + freezes every 5 minutes. I tried uninstalling the app and even I delete the off line maps and I downloaded again and still the same issue.
I haven't seen it on my lumia 1020 on a few weeks. Not sure why, maybe I've just been lucky. I wonder if its related to another app running at the same time. I usually have the music app or podcast lounge running. I didn't today. It was also a short trip.

ewgoforth

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Used here drive on my Lumia 1020 for about 20 minutes this weekend while listening to podcasts. It didn't freeze. Same drive a few weeks ago had it freezing three or four times.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720