Lumia 720 - WP8.1 Update and Reset turned my phone to Demo mode

Bhaskar Roy

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I own a Lumia 720 (bought some 10 months ago from FlipKart.com, Not a Demo piece).
It was working very fine. Had all the 3 GDR updates.
After I got the Developers preview of WindowsPhone 8.1, the phone was working fine. But the second day, it was a bit slow. So, I made a factory reset(Settings -> about -> reset) of my phone (removing the sdcard which had Apps on it) to clear my Local data. It was fine for while. But later, my phone started behaving weird(even hotmail account was appearing as outlook).
So, I thought of doing another reset, but the about section dint show up reset. Instead it showed sort of demo downloads. I clicked on it. And now, My phone is completely locked. My accounts are gone, I could not add my accounts. Microsoft Demo (1,2,3 Retail Mode) and Nokia Retail Mode came into my phone. Some Ajit Trivedi's(ajit@contoso.com) **** is appearing all over my phone. I am very desperate at the moment. :sweaty::sweaty::sweaty:
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Bhaskar Roy

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Thank You Himanshu.
I will try reverting to WP8 with that tool.
But, could you please tell me the cause behind this (Demo mode turning On, even for Non-Demo ones).. ?
This is very frustrating..
And the Next Time I update to WP8.1, would it turn my Phone to Demo again...?
Anywayz, Thanks a Ton.

Bhaskar Roy

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Himanshu, Is that Recovery process a tested/succeeded process.? or is it a probable solution.?
Sorry if I am asking a Silly question..

Thanks. :)

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Not a silly question :wink: , yes it the tool works and the tool is very simple to use. It will download 1Gb+ files (windows phone 8)
I cant say why it does happen , possibly a bug in wp8.1 that turned your phone in demo phone ?

aniket0303

Banned
Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Himanshu, Is that Recovery process a tested/succeeded process.? or is it a probable solution.?
Sorry if I am asking a Silly question..

Thanks. :)

Many have succeeded with the recovery process. Why don't you first contact near by nokia care about this issue

Sent from my Lumia 620(wp8.1)RM-846_im_india_233 using Tapatalk

Bhaskar Roy

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Done with Restore...
The recovery tool restored the OS to Amber...
Later I did the Black Update..
Hope this time when I update to WP8.1 Preview, I dont mess up with Data..
I think the bug/issue is in Moving Apps...
I moved some Apps to SD Card.. Removed it.. Reset my phone..
Again inserted back the SDCard...
Did the same again... Then it all screwed up...

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Done with Restore...

good luck :smile:

Pranjal Rai

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Done with Restore...

If you have installed apps on sd card and u reset the phone "after" removing it frm your phone......I think this is the only thing which may be the cause for your problem. Try to reset the phone with the SD card inserted (granted you dont have very very important apps installed on it)

The thing, is that WP8.1 wont recognize the apps coming from the SD card of another phone. So when you reset your phone, it thinks of the old SD card as a new one having the apps which are not from the local device but from another one. That can be the main issue with your device. I hope i have made myself clear?

Arokia John S

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I am also facing the same issue since yesterday and I have lost all the data in my SD card. I am seeing some US names in my contacts and none of my sim contacts are pulling up. When i go to Setting > About, I do not see any option to Reset phone. I only have option to check for more demo versions only.

Someone please help me as to how to come out of the issue. Thanks.

John

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99