Licencing issues after upgrading CPU in custom built PC.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
So I was one of those people who had purchase Windows 8 online for $40 when it came out. Before I updated my Intel i3 2120 to an i5 3570k, my PC was running Windows 8.1 Update 1. As it turns out when I fired up my PC with it's new CPU, it asked me to activate Windows 8.1 Pro. I was not so worried at first, although it had been a while since Windows 8's official launch. Looking through my Outlook mail I couldn't find a single email regarding the purchase, then I thought to check my dad's account because I was considered a minor, yeah still no email verifying purchase. Decided to look at the Microsoft Store Website, both my account and my dad's account have no purchase history or license key information.

Now i'm stumped, really.. I could call Microsoft Customer service, but in past use I have found them to be rude and informal always redirecting me to different departments. If you ask, yes I have Binged for answers to my question, but all the results were unrelated to my case. Care to help please?

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes I have, also new revelation... Saw this in the settings "The activation server reported that the product key has exceeded its unlock limit."

Palandri's probably right, however I absolutely hate the feeling of getting gouged money for the privilege to keep my windows 8 license after upgrading my components. I honestly hope Nadella Satya fixes this.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes I have, also new revelation... Saw this in the settings "The activation server reported that the product key has exceeded its unlock limit."

Palandri's probably right, however I absolutely hate the feeling of getting gouged money for the privilege to keep my windows 8 license after upgrading my components. I honestly hope Nadella Satya fixes this.

As long as you still have tthe product key you can reenter it and it will say you need to call for phone activation. You'll talk to an automated service and at the end it will ask you how many computers you used the key on. As long as you say "One" you will always be able to use the code

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
As long as you still have tthe product key you can reenter it and it will say you need to call for phone activation. You'll talk to an automated service and at the end it will ask you how many computers you used the key on. As long as you say "One" you will always be able to use the code
Point is I looked in both potential Microsoft Accounts I might have bought Windows 8 with, none of them on their product info or emails show a product key.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Try going to https://www.mswos.com/ to see you order. But you need the order # to get in :(

This is why they said to save and print the email and keep it in a safe place when it came in.

As for exceeding the number of activations, just give the phone number a call like darkest.white said. I have a W7 key that I've used many times on my personal upgrades that I have moved to many different personal systems that I ALWAYS have to call to get activated. It's no big deal. Just be forewarned, that just by chance, that key is in use on another system, that system will be deactivated.

Now if you can't find your key email, but the key is in use on a working system, you can extract it with a program called jellybean (bing it).

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
So I was one of those people who had purchase Windows 8 online for $40 when it came out. Before I updated my Intel i3 2120 to an i5 3570k, my PC was running Windows 8.1 Update 1. As it turns out when I fired up my PC with it's new CPU, it asked me to activate Windows 8.1 Pro. I was not so worried at first, although it had been a while since Windows 8's official launch. Looking through my Outlook mail I couldn't find a single email regarding the purchase, then I thought to check my dad's account because I was considered a minor, yeah still no email verifying purchase. Decided to look at the Microsoft Store Website, both my account and my dad's account have no purchase history or license key information.

Now i'm stumped, really.. I could call Microsoft Customer service, but in past use I have found them to be rude and informal always redirecting me to different departments. If you ask, yes I have Binged for answers to my question, but all the results were unrelated to my case. Care to help please?

You always have to reactivate Windows with a major hardware change (CPU is one of them). This is nothing unusual. You may be asked to telephone them (it's mostly automated), and it's a few simples questions and you'll be allowed to activate (as another poster said).

Use this application to see your product key: ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Try going to https://www.mswos.com/ to see you order. But you need the order # to get in :(

This is why they said to save and print the email and keep it in a safe place when it came in.

As for exceeding the number of activations, just give the phone number a call like darkest.white said. I have a W7 key that I've used many times on my personal upgrades that I have moved to many different personal systems that I ALWAYS have to call to get activated. It's no big deal. Just be forewarned, that just by chance, that key is in use on another system, that system will be deactivated.

Now if you can't find your key email, but the key is in use on a working system, you can extract it with a program called jellybean (bing it).

Have you ever received a message like geekmaster got? "The activation server reported that the product key has exceeded its unlock limit."

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
You always have to reactivate Windows with a major hardware change (CPU is one of them). This is nothing unusual. You may be asked to telephone them (it's mostly automated), and it's a few simples questions and you'll be allowed to activate (as another poster said).

Use this application to see your product key: ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server

I think he has to activate it before he could use that software, but I may be wrong.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice so far! Now I have tried Belarc Advisor previously to recover the product key. I'm pretty busy right now with some other things, however when I get a chance then I will test out these methods and report back on them. Yes it was ignorant of me to delete my email and I will make sure that will not happen when I upgrade to windows 9.

Update: Yeah talked with a representative and they reactivated it for me. Had to ask for a real person because the automated system kept screwing up with my Nexus 5's mic. Please close thread?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever received a message like geekmaster got? "The activation server reported that the product key has exceeded its unlock limit."
Yep, with my W7 key, and W8 key recently. I'm always experimenting with different systems (tech support guy) and reloading the O/S on different systems.

For some reason, everyone I know likes to give me their old dead computers to dispose of when they replace it. When ever I get a dead system that is better than my current machine, I fix it and use it as my primary machine. Which means I reload the O/S on it with my valid keys, and I get the "exceeded its unlock limit" message all the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss