Battery solution

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes I've been down that road, that's how I know it was WiFi sense for me, I run full location settings as well as Cortana, the only things I have off is WiFi sense YouTube and battery saver and I get 15-20 hours of heavy Usage, I turned off Cortana and GPS for a day and the reward wasn't worth it.

WiFi sense is the setting where we select "Turn on when near to favorite places"?

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Turning off WiFi Sense to see if that helps. I never really understood why I need it on anyway. Ha. :)

Funny how with 8.0 I never had to worry about this. Now with 8.1, we have gotten more of the features people have been clamoring for, which Android also has... and now we end up with the same battery issues as well. :/

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I have tested WiFi Sense and done the following.

1) I keep WiFi off always so that the phone does not search for WiFi connections

2) I set WiFi Sense to switch on only when I am at my favorite places (Home and Work). Today will test it will auto switch off if I leave the favorite place.

8uta9a9u.png

3) I have disabled the two options

- Automatically connect to WiFi hotspots

- Send data regarding WiFi networks

u3y3ejyq

There fore the drain from WiFi is eliminated. It only connects when I am at my favorite places and since I have known network at both my favorite places, it does not try to connect to any other network.

Hope this helps

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes but your location will keep checking your location and that will drain your battery a lot.

Yes, I agree with you that location check drains battery but phone does not check location every minute. As some one posted in another post, phone check around every 40 mins or when a location based app is opened. So during the check if i am at my favourite place, then wifi is switched on.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Why all this scurrying around to point at what causes your battery. Remember the page at AppStudio where you accepted the terms to install 8.1 preview for developers? There is a notice there that says:

"A preview update only includes the Microsoft portion of the update; mobile operator and OEM driver updates will be available when the official update for your phone is available."
You have the 8.1 operating system with 8.0 firmware from your OEM with 8.0 updates from your carrier. Think this could cause some problems?

This is causing problems with T-Mobile users that can not use WiFi calling any longer, Lumia 928 with broken Bluetooth, Lumia 625 that auto restarts with every call, and the list goes on.
So, learn to live with the battery problems until the carriers release the 8.1 update or roll back if you can

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Its not any one App, its the OS that is at fault here. Disabling this app or that won't help in the long run. The first App I found to be draining the battery was Skype, the phone was red hot until I forced quit it. Since then I have had the same issue with a number of different apps each time quitting them or soft resetting the phone cured it (till the next time). I suspect something in the OS that is used by apps is the culprit.

It is not the fault of the OS, read above.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Why all this scurrying around to point at what causes your battery. Remember the page at AppStudio where you accepted the terms to install 8.1 preview for developers? There is a notice there that says:

"A preview update only includes the Microsoft portion of the update; mobile operator and OEM driver updates will be available when the official update for your phone is available."
You have the 8.1 operating system with 8.0 firmware from your OEM with 8.0 updates from your carrier. Think this could cause some problems?

This is causing problems with T-Mobile users that can not use WiFi calling any longer, Lumia 928 with broken Bluetooth, Lumia 625 that auto restarts with every call, and the list goes on.
So, learn to live with the battery problems until the carriers release the 8.1 update or roll back if you can

Everyone in this thread knows this is a developer preview and is a discussion about battery issues and what is causing it not ******** about it. the battery drain isn't consistent among us. So you say its not the OS but then you say its a preview and not optimized?? Ummmm so yes its is the OS

Last edited:

dfbonney

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been testing a theory about wireless. I'm certain at this point that leaving wifi on causes my lock screen to show up slower or not at all (use camera app to open phone).

The other major thing I noticed with wifi always on is that my accounts (365, Gmail and outlook.com) would randomly get stuck and I would have to long press and hit sync. Until I did this my battery would drain huge amounts in little time.

I've been only turning on wifi when I need it for a data heavy app and turning it off every time I'm done. I no longer have syncing issues and I'm no longer experiencing any odd drains.

This is a preview and I understand that. Try it, its not efficient but it might help. Just a note, I have great wifi and weak cellular signal at work and at home, so that is something to keep in mind.

Edit: I'm using a Verizon icon.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I've been testing a theory about wireless. I'm certain at this point that leaving wifi on causes my lock screen to show up slower or not at all (use camera app to open phone).

The other major thing I noticed with wifi always on is that my accounts (365, Gmail and outlook.com) would randomly get stuck and I would have to long press and hit sync. Until I did this my battery would drain huge amounts in little time.

I've been only turning on wifi when I need it for a data heavy app and turning it off every time I'm done. I no longer have syncing issues and I'm no longer experiencing any odd drains.

This is a preview and I understand that. Try it, its not efficient but it might help. Just a note, I have great wifi and weak cellular signal at work and at home, so that is something to keep in mind.

Edit: I'm using a Verizon icon.

It's the exact opposite for me. My WiFi doesn't eat up much of my battery and my mobile data plan sucks it dry!!!
See the inconsistencies? This is crazyyy.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
It's the exact opposite for me. My WiFi doesn't eat up much of my battery and my mobile data plan sucks it dry!!!
See the inconsistencies? This is crazyyy.

Wifi sucks battery only if we do not have known networks to which the phone can automatically connect.

Cellular data sucks battery if the reception is not good.

dfbonney

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
This is not what I've been seeing - I'm seeing more than normal drain, even when connected with strong signal, phone sleeping.. vs mobile data phone sleeping.

Wifi sucks battery only if we do not have known networks to which the phone can automatically connect.

Cellular data sucks battery if the reception is not good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077