Battery solution

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If Battery Saver is indeed causing battery issues, what exactly does disabling it do? That is, what is Battery Saver supposed to be doing in the background?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been using the x to kill the app and I have no battery problems. I have opened it and used the back button to close it so I will see if I see any difference over the next few hours. I am currently using 0.2% per hour when the phone is on idle.

Tried the phone today over the last 11 hours without closing the app in multitasking and I didn't find any difference. I have always had it set to run in the background but I used to close it properly.

I will try it tonight when I won't be using the phone at all and see.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
1. Set email to check once every two hours or so. Do NOT use as items arrive.
2. Turn off WiFi Sense.
3. Set brightness to low and then tick the set automatically one.
4. Turn off periodical location saving in find my phone.
5. Turn off auto-upload.
6. Sign out of the services you don't frequently use. (ONLY AS AN EXTREME MEASURE, but it helps a lot. I don't do it though)
7. Turn off everything in Sync my settings.
8. Turn off the automatic quiet hours. (NOT TOO GOOD)
9. TURN OFF LOCATION! That's one motha****a. Read tip below.
10. Turn off feedback.
11. Disable supersensitive toucj in touch.
12. Try CONDITIONING your battery. Search for it.

[TIP]As of now the location services get triggered by individual applications and that leads to it being triggered as many times as the number of apps that are requesting it. (I can say this for sure as I see the location symbol coming up and going off 5 times consecutively after almost every 40 minutes or so.)
This means that right now I have 5 apps namely Cortana, Bing Weather, Facebook Messenger, Weather HD and one is the setting that allows periodical saving of location to help find phone. It makes the battery consumption high as each app requests the data by using the connection (WiFi, cellular or just Cell ID) and that sucks!
What if, Microsoft made a background process that would save all location related info (either online or offline as in on the cloud or on my phone) and push them to apps when they inquire the location. That would save a lot of precious power.[/TIP]

[INFO]What background tasks do what:
1. STORE: It checks for updates periodically and updates live tiles.
2. MUSIC: Signs you in and checks for any changes to XBM.
3. CORTANA: Live tile, Quiet Hours, Location reminders (Not sure about Person reminders, never tested it)
4. BATTERY SAVER: Dunno!!!
5. PODCASTS: It literally does nothing that be seen with your eyes.
6. CALENDAR: Live tile.[/INFO]

reded23

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
2. Turn off WiFi Sense.
5. Turn off auto-upload.
6. Sign out of the services you don't frequently use. (ONLY AS AN EXTREME MEASURE, but it helps a lot. I don't do it though)
10. Turn off feedback.

[TIP]As of now the location services get triggered by individual applications and that leads to it being triggered as many times as the number of apps that are requesting it. (I can say this for sure as I see the location symbol coming up and going off 5 times consecutively after almost every 40 minutes or so.)
This means that right now I have 5 apps namely Cortana, Bing Weather, Facebook Messenger, Weather HD and one is the setting that allows periodical saving of location to help find phone. It makes the battery consumption high as each app requests the data by using the connection (WiFi, cellular or just Cell ID) and that sucks!
What if, Microsoft made a background process that would save all location related info (either online or offline as in on the cloud or on my phone) and push them to apps when they inquire the location. That would save a lot of precious power.[/TIP]

3. CORTANA: Live tile, Quiet Hours, Location reminders (Not sure about Person reminders, never tested it)

Well I might as well just leave my phone at home then !

This will not fix the issue of the sudden massive CPU usage that drains the battery completely from 100% in 1 hr. This is the worst issue, not the slight increase in usage by the 8.1 features.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the new keyboard (or maybe how WP8.1 handles touch recognition) is the culprit. Any use of keyboard input immediately results in a warm phone and battery drain. Watching Netflix or leaving the phone on doesn't heat my Icon or 521 up nearly as much. But texting someone, the battery starts draining right away.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
2. Turn off WiFi Sense.
5. Turn off auto-upload.
10. Turn off feedback.

Do you have any sources to back up any of this?

reded23

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think the new keyboard (or maybe how WP8.1 handles touch recognition) is the culprit. Any use of keyboard input immediately results in a warm phone and battery drain. Watching Netflix or leaving the phone on doesn't heat my Icon or 521 up nearly as much. But texting someone, the battery starts draining right away.

I think its different for everyone, I was just driving home with all apps closed. I checked my phone 30 mins into the journey...it was red hot and the battery was 50% down. I hadn't even touched it.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
If you are asking about the background tasks, I tested each of them on my 520. About the location services, I'm pretty sure, cuz it freaked me out so much that I checked with two other phones, another 520 and a 720. About the battery tip, they are tried and tested.
But hey, FAITH is something. :D

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Here are the apps for which I have disabled background tasks :
1) Whatsapp
2) Internet Explorer
3) Store
4) Facebook
5) Battery Saver
6) Calendar
7) Runtastic
8) Skype
9) Sports
10) Angry birds roost
11) App social
12) Battery performance
13) Currency
14) FM Radio
15) Here drive+
16) Instagram beta
17) Music
18) News
19) Nokia care
20) Onedrive
21) Picsart
22) Podcasts
23) SysAppPusher
24) Twitter
25) Viber
26) Weather
Hope this list helps to keep a look out for the apps.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Turning off all that stuff takes the "smart" out of the smartphone though...

While I would agree with you but there are some with crazy battery drain issues right now and are doing what they need to do as a work around in till we see a firmware update. WiFi sense was such a drain for me turning it off dropped my idle drain from 2.5% an hour to less then one.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
While I would agree with you but there are some with crazy battery drain issues right now and are doing what they need to do as a work around in till we see a firmware update. WiFi sense was such a drain for me turning it off dropped my idle drain from 2.5% an hour to less then one.

Mainly anything with loction attached to it. Turn off location individually in each app and see the real difference. I only allow adidasMiCoach, Maps, FB Messenger, Weather, Camera and Nokia Camera with the location when I'm BADLY in need of battery.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I was checking my battery stats yesterday and saw under usage that Netflix had been using the most. Well I don't run Netflix on my phone, just occasionally search for a movie on it is all. Hadn't done that for days so why is it showing the biggest usage of any app? Makes me wonder just how accurate the battery saver usage meter is. :shocked:
Ive found other discrepancies with that app also. I'm taking that info with a grain or two of salt.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Turning off all that stuff takes the "smart" out of the smartphone though...

I do agree with you that it would take away the smartness from the phone. I was testing whether its the OS or a particular app. Now all services are back to "on" status.

My biggest drain whatsapp since receive an average of 700+ messages per day.

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Mainly anything with loction attached to it. Turn off location individually in each app and see the real difference. I only allow adidasMiCoach, Maps, FB Messenger, Weather, Camera and Nokia Camera with the location when I'm BADLY in need of battery.

Yes I've been down that road, that's how I know it was WiFi sense for me, I run full location settings as well as Cortana, the only things I have off is WiFi sense YouTube and battery saver and I get 15-20 hours of heavy Usage, I turned off Cortana and GPS for a day and the reward wasn't worth it.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I do agree with you that it would take away the smartness from the phone. I was testing whether its the OS or a particular app. Now all services are back to "on" status.

My biggest drain whatsapp since receive an average of 700+ messages per day.

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

I think its in the OS as its different things affecting different people, my friend is running 8.1 with everything on and things that affect my battery are not affecting his.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05