Music a sign there are bigger problems with Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren_S

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm not looking for comment, just a place to vent my frustration. I've really liked my Lumia 521 because it was a simple, inexpensive, fun Windows phone. However, the fact the native music player cannot handle my local MP3's along with a playlist (endless duplicates, won't delete songs, etc.) makes me bewildered they sell such a poor product. If Microsoft is trying a big push to increase market share with low end Lumia's or whatever, they are cutting their own throat if they can't get a basic music player out of it. BTW, I just had a frustrating day trying to update my music and playlists and it got even worse...ugh.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft developed Windows Phone 8.1. Be happy. You are running a developers preview. They did not have to get Xbox Music fully updated to release the preview to developers. This will not be the RTM version. Get over it.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Does calling work? Yes.

Can you take pictures? Yes.

Can you download apps? Yes.

Can you send and receive text messages? Yes.

Can you send and receive multimedia messages? Yes.

Can you send e-mail? Yes.

Can you change your lock screen? Yes.

Can you use glance? Yes.

Can you set a ringtone? Yes.

Can you turn off data, wi-fi, and location? Yes.

These are all things that WORK on Windows Phone 8.1 So don't tell me that Xbox Music is acceptable just because Win 8.1 is not publicly released. For an operating system this close to official release, nothing aside from a couple crashes is acceptable. If you really think this app is going to be ANYWHERE close to where Zune (or even the damn iPod in 2004) was in the one or two months before Microsoft sends this update OTA, you're blinded by your own Microsoft bias.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Take a look at the post I quoted, it's a list of things that are or are going to be implemented. Software development isn't a case of slap something together and hope it works!!!!

Yeah, and the guy you quoted SAID THAT, but that doesn't change my point at all. A lot of the "upcoming" changes are things that the original music player has. I never once had an issue with performance/stability on the old app--it was all basically instant-access and consistent.We already had a live tile, and the same goes for swiping to change songs. Really, I hadn't heard any serious complaints about the music-listening experience in months, then they came out and broke it. I'd say that 90% of the near-future work they're going to be doing is just getting the new app CLOSE to the old one. The ability to update faster is nice and all, but I don't see what it was needed for, since all of the complaints right now are for updates to make it like it was. It'd be a different story if they had left the old app visible to all, and made the new ones optional.

Like I've said before, it's stupid that they split it into so many apps, then made then all non-removable. I've never wanted to listen to podcasts or the FM radio on my phone, so why can't I delete those apps?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, and the guy you quoted SAID THAT, but that doesn't change my point at all. A lot of the "upcoming" changes are things that the original music player has. I never once had an issue with performance/stability on the old app--it was all basically instant-access and consistent.We already had a live tile, and the same goes for swiping to change songs. Really, I hadn't heard any serious complaints about the music-listening experience in months, then they came out and broke it. I'd say that 90% of the near-future work they're going to be doing is just getting the new app CLOSE to the old one. The ability to update faster is nice and all, but I don't see what it was needed for, since all of the complaints right now are for updates to make it like it was. It'd be a different story if they had left the old app visible to all, and made the new ones optional.

Like I've said before, it's stupid that they split it into so many apps, then made then all non-removable. I've never wanted to listen to podcasts or the FM radio on my phone, so why can't I delete those apps?

The old app was great. But Microsoft couldn't update that old app without going through the carrier. The app was built into the OS. So yes, breaking the music out into individual apps may initially create a situation where the new apps don't have parity with the existing ones, but they can be updated like any other app, and they reach parity or better sooner than the existing music hub app.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
The reason that it is idiotic is that there are problems with this app that will not go away with the software going live. This is not a beta it is the developer preview. It will not have everything final, but MS, believes it is good enough to ship to customers.

You are totally wrong, I've explained before.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Agree with OP and everyone saying he needs to switch to iPhone needs to shove off, they aren't helpful.
The music app in WP7 was ok, you couldn't edit playlists but other then that, it was decent. The desktop software, Zune, was amazing, so it pretty much made up for the mediocre phone software.
WP8 came and it didn't improve. Still ok. But that was coupled with the death of Zune and the abysmal Windows 8 music app (one of the worst apps I've ever used), so the music experience got a lot worse at that point. WP8.1 comes out and yay I can edit playlists but holy hell the rest of the app is an absolute PILE.
The really sad and stupid thing is that if OP switched to iPhone, they'd get a better Xbox Music experience because the iOS app is actually pretty nice! Wtf MS? Figure it out! Fire the French team and start over!

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
You are totally wrong, I've explained before.

Explain to me how they have a totally different music app, with a totally different experience in the wings for when they go live. Also explain why they have a different music app for the preview versus the one that we will have for when it is live. I would like to know.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Explain to me how they have a totally different music app, with a totally different experience in the wings for when they go live. Also explain why they have a different music app for the preview versus the one that we will have for when it is live. I would like to know.

It is in one of the news in WPCentral, the current music app is in beta stage (the app, not WP8.1), and the music dev group said that they will release new updates, the next will be in less than 2 weeks. And we know (thanks to WPCentral news) that we will get a system update before wp8.1 launch.

Just read more the forum and the news.

people are exaggerating things, reaching the "catastrophe" stage, "looks, the beta music app is not working fine, windows is in problems"... lol

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It is in one of the news in WPCentral, the current music app is in beta stage (the app, not WP8.1), and the music dev group said that they will release new updates, the next will be in less than 2 weeks. And we know (thanks to WPCentral news) that we will get a system update before wp8.1 launch.

Just read more the forum and the news.

people are exaggerating things, reaching the "catastrophe" stage, "looks, the beta music app is not working fine, windows is in problems"... lol

Windows Phone is in awful condition if it can't play music competently. Dev preview or not. That's up with being able to take pictures, make phone calls, send texts, and write e-mails. It's just something every smartphone should be able to do with ease. It's not like NFC tagging or doube-tap-to-wake. It's not a gimmick. If even one of these ubiquitous features don't work as they should, it severely cripples its usability and puts it light years behind Android, iOS and even Blackberry.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is in awful condition if it can't play music competently. Dev preview or not. That's up with being able to take pictures, make phone calls, send texts, and write e-mails. It's just something every smartphone should be able to do with ease. It's not like NFC tagging or doube-tap-to-wake. It's not a gimmick. If even one of these ubiquitous features don't work as they should, it severely cripples its usability and puts it light years behind Android, iOS and even Blackberry.

You're failing in not understand what WP8.1 Dev Preview is .

- Dev Preview IS for developers
- Dev Preview IS a preview
- Dev Preview is not intented for all people
- Dev Preview is not WP8.1 final experience (and I know that WP8.1 core is finished)

If you can't understand that, and can't to differentiate between what a Preview software is compared to finalized software, sorry, but you're wrong.

EDIT: "Windows Phone is in awful condition if it can't play music competently."

Too much hyperbole...

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
But guys that's a darn simple thing, playing local music. And it's not like they debuted the app with 8.1.. They had the app since a year, and still couldn't make it usable. How many days is a beta stage for an app? certainly not a year..

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Clearly music is a passion for so many people and not having an optimal experience or having a frustrating time when all you're trying to do is unwind and listen to some music really gets people riled up.

Here's what you need to understand. Microsoft didn't update the Music Hub at all in regard to core functionality since WP8's release, with the exception of adding the FM radio option. This is because updating the hub would have meant issuing a carrier-wide OS update and would have prevented some dev's working on the WP core features from adding the features we love and are beginning to see pop up today.

How are Microsoft combating this?

They're moving the Windows platform as a whole to a universal platform, with apps sharing a code base. They're trying to make the Music app the same on every windows platform. What we're witnessing with the WP 8.1 Developer Preview is the first step towards making this happen. By making the Music app a separate app that can be individually updated, and is quite obviously a mobile version of the same Music app on Windows 8.1. Microsoft have said they're going to update this new app regularly - and let's be honest they're going to update it until it's basically the same as it's bigger brother on WP 8.1.

The team at Microsoft seem to be really paying attention to customer feedback and have even gone out and said "This is what we're working to adding on the Music app" to give us some transparency here. I'm confident that if we keep the criticism constructive, we will see a Music app that is a direct result of the things we're feeding back. We're going to see this situation getting better and I'm probably going to regret saying this but you really do need to have a little patience.

Here endeth the lesson.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
But guys that's a darn simple thing, playing local music. And it's not like they debuted the app with 8.1.. They had the app since a year, and still couldn't make it usable. How many days is a beta stage for an app? certainly not a year..

I can play local music, everyday I've played my local music.

Issues? well, not here but I understand that some devices can have issues, but again, it is a preview software, and in less than 2 weeks they will release an update.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Clearly music is a passion for so many people and not having an optimal experience or having a frustrating time when all you're trying to do is unwind and listen to some music really gets people riled up.

Here's what you need to understand. Microsoft didn't update the Music Hub at all in regard to core functionality since WP8's release, with the exception of adding the FM radio option. This is because updating the hub would have meant issuing a carrier-wide OS update and would have prevented some dev's working on the WP core features from adding the features we love and are beginning to see pop up today.

How are Microsoft combating this?

They're moving the Windows platform as a whole to a universal platform, with apps sharing a code base. They're trying to make the Music app the same on every windows platform. What we're witnessing with the WP 8.1 Developer Preview is the first step towards making this happen. By making the Music app a separate app that can be individually updated, and is quite obviously a mobile version of the same Music app on Windows 8.1. Microsoft have said they're going to update this new app regularly - and let's be honest they're going to update it until it's basically the same as it's bigger brother on WP 8.1.

The team at Microsoft seem to be really paying attention to customer feedback and have even gone out and said "This is what we're working to adding on the Music app" to give us some transparency here. I'm confident that if we keep the criticism constructive, we will see a Music app that is a direct result of the things we're feeding back. We're going to see this situation getting better and I'm probably going to regret saying this but you really do need to have a little patience.

Here endeth the lesson.

Bravo! At least I can see some people understand how Microsoft want a ecosystem.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I can play local music, everyday I've played my local music.

Issues? well, not here but I understand that some devices can have issues, but again, it is a preview software, and in less than 2 weeks they will release an update.

Actually I also play music everyday, not much of a problem. But I always play first song of my choice and put the whole songs list on shuffle.. But the problem is, fr ex. If I play a song that starts with Y, the phone will shuffle only the songs starting with W, X, Y, Z, and not the whole library. This is frustrating. And I have started using MixRadio now. Nonetheless the UI is so supercool.. But the Xbox music app sounds better with headphones..

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
This is my frustration with WP, there lack of concern for the music app. Its obvious they(MS) never used Zune software. Its almost as if they don't want to succeed in mobile, from exclusivity deals, lack of apps not one real flagship phone. Not only that, why are the 630,930 and 1320 not released on every carrier in the U.S.??? I'm starting to think MS should give up on WP and make their own Android version. There a software company that can't even make a music app??? WTF???? #bringbackzune

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
As great as this thread is, we're getting lot's of great discussion about the Music app on the Developer Preview but the problem is these great insights or discussions are lost between lot's of duplicate threads across the forums. As such we're trying to get all the discussion, tips and tricks and even the frustrations in one place so everyone can discuss and benefit.

Please use this thread for everything Music in the Preview: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...eveloper-preview-everything-music-thread.html

Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos