Music a sign there are bigger problems with Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been wondering how does MS get the music app so messed up. It is even more surprising when you consider many of the issues were in the app in 8.0. I looked at my review at the time and it still applies, except you can't just use the Music and Video hub instead. Me and other people have complained about it before 8.1 was released. The app has always been bad, and we knew this would be Microsoft's solution for accessing music, even before they made the 8.1 preview available. So my question is, what have they been doing. I would love to have been in some meetings with them. To see why they have been ignoring all the feedback and not fixing the app.

Microsoft has ignored the voice of the user to work on releasing an app that was light years behind what they currently had. The idea of the new app was to be quicker at updates, yet because the app is so bad, much of the work in the foreseeable future will be to get it to work. After that they can work on making it as good as the old app. After that is when we could really get new features. MS seems to be expecting all users to stream a small collection from Xbox music online. I have an Xbox music pass, but I do not want to show my online content on my phone. Xbox music, regardless of platform, is lousy if you bring your own music. It doubles it, wrong labels, and seem impossible to get rid of some of the songs. So I only want to show local music on the phone. I don't think Microsoft test that with more than a handful of songs. Microsoft needs to fix Xbox music, they need to allow more options, customization and edit of Xbox music tags.

However, my concern is that Microsoft does not seem to be fixing anything. Windows 8 music app was horrible and now they made Windows Phone 8.1 worse. I liked Zune and still have one, but I do not like the direction MS is taking music. They have been doing this for a long time. Had I not just extended my contract 2 years for my 1520, this would be my cue to exit. My youngest daughter has grown tired of her Iphone, but I no longer push her to look at windows phone, instead she is going to android. I can no longer recommend Windows phone until Microsoft can show that they are taking music and the phone in a direction I agree with. Currently all they are doing is trying to clean up there mistakes, and I do not think we will ever get back to when we had a great music experience. I think the most we can hope for is, it does suck as much.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I realize a good music app is paramount for many.
Kind of depends on where the Windows phone is actually pointed.
Is it maneuvering for the business user or is it a media centric device?
Microsoft has so much going in so many directions right now it's got be one thing at a time.

I don't know what the direction of the all important music app\hub will be.
Is it really an indicator of bigger problems?

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
The reason I think there is bigger problem, is that this is not one isolated incident. Microsoft seems to not understand many of the people using its product. How does one get it so wrong for so long and not hear any of it customers.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
IMO
I think some things are just laying there with no real fixes is because MSFT mobile is looking at intense integration of most features with Cortana.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I know, I said I keep it off.

Actually the thing is its partly Microsoft's fault of not listening customers feedback. But they are also implementing so much of our feedback. Actually no company can keep all their customers happy. Microsoft is rapidly bringing changes to so many features including new features and improving present ones. But their are some basic things or features which microsoft ignores. I have my faith on windows phone. So microsoft please don't let us down

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have been wondering how does MS get the music app so messed up. It is even more surprising when you consider many of the issues were in the app in 8.0. I looked at my review at the time and it still applies, except you can't just use the Music and Video hub instead. Me and other people have complained about it before 8.1 was released. The app has always been bad, and we knew this would be Microsoft's solution for accessing music, even before they made the 8.1 preview available. So my question is, what have they been doing. I would love to have been in some meetings with them. To see why they have been ignoring all the feedback and not fixing the app.

Microsoft has ignored the voice of the user to work on releasing an app that was light years behind what they currently had. The idea of the new app was to be quicker at updates, yet because the app is so bad, much of the work in the foreseeable future will be to get it to work. After that they can work on making it as good as the old app. After that is when we could really get new features. MS seems to be expecting all users to stream a small collection from Xbox music online. I have an Xbox music pass, but I do not want to show my online content on my phone. Xbox music, regardless of platform, is lousy if you bring your own music. It doubles it, wrong labels, and seem impossible to get rid of some of the songs. So I only want to show local music on the phone. I don't think Microsoft test that with more than a handful of songs. Microsoft needs to fix Xbox music, they need to allow more options, customization and edit of Xbox music tags.

However, my concern is that Microsoft does not seem to be fixing anything. Windows 8 music app was horrible and now they made Windows Phone 8.1 worse. I liked Zune and still have one, but I do not like the direction MS is taking music. They have been doing this for a long time. Had I not just extended my contract 2 years for my 1520, this would be my cue to exit. My youngest daughter has grown tired of her Iphone, but I no longer push her to look at windows phone, instead she is going to android. I can no longer recommend Windows phone until Microsoft can show that they are taking music and the phone in a direction I agree with. Currently all they are doing is trying to clean up there mistakes, and I do not think we will ever get back to when we had a great music experience. I think the most we can hope for is, it does suck as much.
The old music hub was not removed. It was hidden. You can use this to get back the hidden music hub Check out "Music Hub Tile" for Windows Phone http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=3faa2f9e-6b8d-440a-bb60-5dd76a5baec1

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I am not going to go into this with you. That is just a idiotic thing to say. The issue is the app is what has been going out, it is what will be going out to users. So are they going to bring back the music and video hub for those of us who wait?

If you want great finished software. Why do you install a Developer Preview on your phone??? I dont get it.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

OMG, go buy a iPhone and quit complaining.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think that this guy has a valid point.
My theory for such a pathetic app is that Microsoft just didn't have enough time to polish it up before the dev preview was released. The old app still exists, which also means that the new app's development was begun late, and therefore, it is in this state.

Maybe I am wrong, but in no case is MS to be forgiven for it. If they did decide to release a new app, they should have atleast polished it to a usable level.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I hope they improve the Music hub. I love Windows Phone and all but this is a deal breaker for me. I'm considering on going Android when my contract is up. As much as I love Microsoft, they need to get it right with the Music Hub. That's all I want. Also, Spotify.

I'm actually using the new Music hub app now. It's doing fine but it freezes like 80% of the time when I open it. Plus, when I shuffle the playlist it sometimes doesn't and when I remove shuffle, it still shuffles. It's a VERY buggy app.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I am not going to go into this with you. That is just a idiotic thing to say. The issue is the app is what has been going out, it is what will be going out to users. So are they going to bring back the music and video hub for those of us who wait?

How is that idiotic? It's a valid point. I didn't download the preview expecting everything to be smooth (although, I haven't experienced hardly any problems that isn't the result of lack of proper firmware). If Microsoft is doing a bi-weekly update, then they'll have already had 3-4 updates by the time any average consumer gets it and probably like 8 updates by the time most people get it. That is plenty of time to fix almost all of the problems with it.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
IMO
I think some things are just laying there with no real fixes is because MSFT mobile is looking at intense integration of most features with Cortana.

There has already been an update to Xbox Music for 8.1. It is not just laying there.
In release v2.5.2842 you will find:

Numerous stability fixes, including many of the reported black screens
Full Cortana integration including playing Playlists by name
UI Polish to improve animations and transitions between UI views
Improved messaging for encountered errors, such as unplayable content in collections

Some of what is targeted for the series of coming releases:

Continued focus on Stability and Performance improvements
Background initial sync of local and cloud content (Note: This had been targeted for the last
store update, but we pushed it out one more release to do some additional testing)
Fast Forward/Rewind by sliding progress bar in a song
UX layouts on buttons and metadata in now playing to better utilize space and make for better interaction
Support for large play queue(including playlist) greater than 100 songs
Improved load times for long lists through better list virtualization
Swipe Gesture to Advance on Now Playing
Live Tile and Transparent Tile support
Design & Layout improvements to get you to your content faster
Kids Corner support
UX improvements (Search result grouping, creating new Radio Stations, improved Network status messages,
Blue UI language alignment, and more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss