Caution - 8.1 did NOT fix Error Code 86000C29

JRuppenthal

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I have an iPhone and can connect to my work's Exchange server via ActiveSync with no problem. I have an HTC One and can connect to my work's Exchange server via ActiveSync with no problem. Same with a Blackberry Z30. All of these devices allow me to setup an Exchange account on the phone seamlessly and easily. I owned an HTC 8X and, although it was running a Microsoft OS, it could NOT connect to my Enterprise account. Every time I tried, I was given the Error Code 86000C29. If you search the webs, you'll see this is a common problem with Windows Phone 8, that Microsoft created a product that wouldn't even let customers connect to another of its own products if a policy parameter is present ("Require Encryption on Storage Card"), even thought the HTC had NO storage card.

So, I was excited to give WP another try knowing that 8.1 was going to be released. I figured this issue would be worked out. Purchased a Lumia 925 (another phone with NO storage card) on TMobile, installed 8.1 and setup Gmail, iCloud, Outlook.com, and, finally, tried to connect to work via ActiveSync. The account was created, the server was found, the syncing process was started...and then failed...with the error code 86000C29. Unbelievable. I can't fathom why Microsoft hasn't fixed this issue after nearly 2 years. All the competition allows employees to quickly & easily setup corporate email. Microsoft's own product does not. And, please, don't tell me to ask my IT department to allow an exception for one device. We are a company of 500+ people, and they are NOT going to allow an exception to be made. So, I'm left with a phone that can't do what the lowliest Android phone can do.

I find this completely unacceptable and unfathomable. Why wouldn't Microsoft want to give customers the same ease of access to its OWN products that every other mobile platform enjoys? Can someone enlighten me on this? I want to give WP8.1 a fair shake, I love trying new OS's and there's a lot I like about WP. But, if I can't access my corporate account, this phone will be sold. Anyone else having a similar issue? Any workarounds that I can do without getting IT involved?

JRuppenthal

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've read all the articles I can on this subject. The only way to fix this is for my company's IT department to change their security policies which they will NOT do for an individual phone. This is understandable from the company's point of view. They can't configure security parameters just to suit the needs of a few employees. Again, very disappointing and incomprehensible. I simply do NOT understand why 2 Microsoft products can't talk to each other while the competition can.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I've read all the articles I can on this subject. The only way to fix this is for my company's IT department to change their security policies which they will NOT do for an individual phone. This is understandable from the company's point of view. They can't configure security parameters just to suit the needs of a few employees. Again, very disappointing and incomprehensible. I simply do NOT understand why 2 Microsoft products can't talk to each other while the competition can.

Your wrong MSFT products can talk to any device. But the procedures are different.

Why does MSFT does it this way? I don't know. But MSFT must have their reasons. Perhaps some MSFT IT in the forums can elaborate.

But you see there is a work around to get your device to work. In fact this is not even an OS problem but a security policy problem.

JRuppenthal

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Your wrong MSFT products can talk to any device. But the procedures are different.

Why does MSFT does it this way? I don't know. But MSFT must have their reasons. Perhaps some MSFT IT in the forums can elaborate.

But you see there is a work around to get your device to work. In fact this is not even an OS problem but a security policy problem.

But why, then, will every other mobile OS work with my company's ActiveSync policies - with no changes needed from IT - except for Microsoft? It makes no sense, and it will keep Microsoft from making inroads into our company, at least, until things get straightened out.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
But why, then, will every other mobile OS work with my company's ActiveSync policies - with no changes needed from IT - except for Microsoft? It makes no sense, and it will keep Microsoft from making inroads into our company, at least, until things get straightened out.

Agree. But what are the risks? Perhaps MSFT way is more secure. I don't know.

That's is why I said it is best to wait for someone in the forums who is familiar with this subject to elaborate. But don't blame WP OS or MSFT concerning this issue. It could be done differently and perhaps for your best interest.

I understand your frustration. But it does not guarantee best practices.

JRuppenthal

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Agree. But what are the risks? Perhaps MSFT way is more secure. I don't know.

That's is why I said it is best to wait for someone in the forums who is familiar with this subject elaborate. But don't blame WP OS or MSFT concerning this issue. It could be done differently and perhaps for your best interest.

I understand your frustration. But it does not guarantee best practices.

Thanks K0de. Didn't mean to get all worked up, but I want this phone to work and for Microsoft to be a valid 3rd OS. For now, at my company, it won't be unless this can resolved with IT changing their security policies. Anyone have advice?

JoshMD90

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Came here from the other thread, I'm in exactly the same situation. Even if the MS way is more secure for whatever reason, they cannot expect companies to change their EAS policies simply because their handsets do not work in the current form. This may have been a reasonable assumption if their mobile OS was as prevalent as iOS or Android, but in a number 3 position I think it is a somewhat naive point of view.

I work in the healthcare industry and such companies are paranoid (rightly so) about security and if I told my IT department to change their policies to my phone could sync they would laugh in my face.

spaceherpe61

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I too am having this issue, this is NOT ActiveSync issue, this is not a Policy issue, its the way the WP 8.1 OS recognizes the internal storage. It recognizes the storage as being external even though its not. Its more so has to do with the design of the storage on the board from nokia. WP OS has to decided whether its internal or external in this case it decides it external. Don't ask me why, that would need to come from a WP OS developer. Next when your organization attempts to put its security policy in place, one of the the policies it to encrypt ANY external storage this will prevent people from stealing a sim card with unencrypted emails on it. WP won't allow its Internal storage to be encrypted, but shows its internal storage as external, then deny the policy from being set. Therefore Exchange server won't allow the phone to sync, so you can't get to your account.

There is not organization in the world that is going to allow the work around because its basically allowing an exception for everyone, not just this phone. Its server wide. If the issue is to be fixed it has to come from WP engineers, to allow the encryption, or show storage as internal for the models with this setup.

JRuppenthal

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the explanation. I must say, that this is very discouraging and will probably force me to abandon the WP platform. If I can't access my work email, it's just not worth the trouble. I can't be the only one in this position. Microsoft is very short-sighted in developing the OS with this limitation, especially if they want to break into the enterprise market. Maybe that is not their goal, although I can't believe a company with such strong enterprise roots would ignore the needs of corporations. As you mention, no large company is going to allow an exception for one phone. It's just not going to happen.
Sad.

I too am having this issue, this is NOT ActiveSync issue, this is not a Policy issue, its the way the WP 8.1 OS recognizes the internal storage. It recognizes the storage as being external even though its not. Its more so has to do with the design of the storage on the board from nokia. WP OS has to decided whether its internal or external in this case it decides it external. Don't ask me why, that would need to come from a WP OS developer. Next when your organization attempts to put its security policy in place, one of the the policies it to encrypt ANY external storage this will prevent people from stealing a sim card with unencrypted emails on it. WP won't allow its Internal storage to be encrypted, but shows its internal storage as external, then deny the policy from being set. Therefore Exchange server won't allow the phone to sync, so you can't get to your account.

There is not organization in the world that is going to allow the work around because its basically allowing an exception for everyone, not just this phone. Its server wide. If the issue is to be fixed it has to come from WP engineers, to allow the encryption, or show storage as internal for the models with this setup.

Edwin Engelhart

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
And here we are six months later (Nov 2014), with no solution in sight.

In this connection it's almost embarrassing to read Satya Nadella's big, big talk in his July message to Microsoft employees:

"At our core, Microsoft is the productivity and platform company for the mobile-first and cloud-first world. We will reinvent productivity to empower every person and every organization on the planet to do more and achieve more."

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah, blah...

Dear Mr. Nadella. Here's an idea. How about finally getting this silly 86000C29 problem fixed so your customers can start taking Microsoft seriously again?

JoshMD90

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
And here we are six months later (Nov 2014), with no solution in sight.

In this connection it's almost embarrassing to read Satya Nadella's big, big talk in his July message to Microsoft employees:

"At our core, Microsoft is the productivity and platform company for the mobile-first and cloud-first world. We will reinvent productivity to empower every person and every organization on the planet to do more and achieve more."

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah, blah...

Dear Mr. Nadella. Here's an idea. How about finally getting this silly 86000C29 problem fixed so your customers can start taking Microsoft seriously again?

At this point I'm simply hoping that Windows 10 fixes this for us. I don't have a clue who to talk to about it any more. I have annoyed my IT department plenty but they wont listen and Microsoft are fairly hard to get in contact with the right department on this.

JoshMD90

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if this has been corrected in Windows 10?

Not sure I'm afraid. I've since changed companies and this one has a friendlier IT department which is willing to create and manage profiles for its users, that and we are using O365 which I think avoids the issue.

wizaard

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem with L830 WP8.1 Update 2. With Windows 10 Mobile 10581 and the one prior that on the same device there was no problem. And I don't remember having problems before with WP8.1... strange...

Felix1987

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I have the same Problem with my Windows Phone, Version Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2.
BUT!!! ^^ It works with my Windows 10 Tablet.

Does anyone has a solution for windows phone? Encryption of Memory? Setting Memory as Internal Storage?

BR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon