When I purchase audio books I rip the CDs and convert them to MP3 and put them on a thumb drive I then connect to my receiver in my truck. I wanted to put them on my phone but I wanted to manage them in such a way if I told my music app to just start randomly playing I didn't want it to jump to one of the chapters in my audio book. Anyone have any suggestions that will segregate audio books from music? Should I use a file manager to move them to podcasts?
    04-28-2014 10:23 AM
    If you're buying the audiobooks anyway, sounds like you're going through a lot of trouble. Considered just getting an Audible membership? Audible is owned by Amazon and the largest audiobook library online. I've been a member for about three years and never regretted it. They also have apps on every platform including WP. Ripping their format to mp3 can be done but it's pretty time intensive as all the packages I've looked at do it by playing/recording in the computer rather than a direct rip.
    04-28-2014 11:07 AM
    I use Audible for some stuff, but I kind of like the idea of owning something with my purchase in case they decide to no longer "feature" a title I don't loose anything. I have audible for a few books that have been gifted to me. But I typically rip the CD and use "MakeItOne" to create .mp3 by chapter, or just one giant .mp3 for the entire book.

I appreciate the feedback though.
    04-28-2014 11:28 AM
    I love audiobooks and was hoping 8.1 would show some love. I mostly use audible but the ones that are not protected I either use an app called digital audio books or audiobook simple player
    04-28-2014 11:31 AM
    I'll see if I can find one of those, thanks Neitin
    04-28-2014 11:42 AM
    Digital Audio Book was always my go to...worked great. Now I'm just eagerly waiting for them to add variable speed playback...
    04-30-2014 12:46 AM
    Anyone have any suggestions that will segregate audio books from music? Should I use a file manager to move them to podcasts?
    I'm in the same boat. I voted for this on Microsoft's suggestion box for Xbox Music. iTunes can do this perfectly. They have options for podcasts and audiobooks. I think they should implement this into the new Podcast app. In there they already have a bookmark for where one was before they stopped it.

VOTE HERE: Add playspeed to Xbox Music OR Allow Podcast app to see MP3s on the phone – Xbox Music Suggestion Box
    05-03-2014 12:13 PM
    I use Audible for some stuff, but I kind of like the idea of owning something with my purchase in case they decide to no longer "feature" a title I don't loose anything. I have audible for a few books that have been gifted to me. But I typically rip the CD and use "MakeItOne" to create .mp3 by chapter, or just one giant .mp3 for the entire book.

I appreciate the feedback though.
    You can download the Audible book to a PC and own it. Problem is, I haven't found a software package which can break the encryption so conversions to mp3 are done in real time instead of a direct rip on the files. So doable, but a pain.
    05-05-2014 11:25 AM
    I have a mac and use ondersoft works great and converts at 16x speed
    05-06-2014 08:16 AM
    I use OverDrive Media Consol app on my Lumia 822 and on my SurfacePro2. I use it to checkout audio books from the Library. I use Audacity desktop software to rip the audio compact disks, that I own, to mp3, but it's done by playing/recording in real time.
    05-06-2014 08:35 AM
    I listen to audiobooks a lot. I use both Overdrive and Audible, and I also get books on CD from the library and rip them to MP3. To play those I use the Podcast app, and that works quite well for me. I created a Windows Library on my desktop named Podcasts and I use the desktop WP app with the option to sync from libraries.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-07-2014 07:50 AM
    If you have Windows Phone 8.1 you can try ElAudioBooks. It can play mp3 audiobooks directly from file system.
    11-05-2014 04:47 AM