8.1 Developer Preview Everything Music Thread

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
There are a huge number of repetitive threads here consistently asking the same information or for tips and tricks to do with everything Xbox Music, so here's a thread where we can share knowledge, about everything Music on the WP 8.1 Developer Preview.

Please try to keep everything helpful and useful

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
There are a huge number of repetitive threads here consistently asking the same information or for tips and tricks to do with everything Xbox Music, so here's a thread where we can share knowledge, about everything Music on the WP 8.1 Developer Preview.

Sounds good.

So yes we all know the new music app sucks..

My question is if I have cloud syncing turned off in the settings why are they are still showing up??

Am I doing something wrong?

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Sounds good.

So yes we all know the new music app sucks..

My question is if I have cloud syncing turned off in the settings why are they are still showing up??

Am I doing something wrong?

What it is showing?

Mine is hiding the offline albums that I've deleted before, and showing only the offline and online albums that I've not deleted.

EDIT: And you can select only music on your phone (offline), only music on straming or both.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
What it is showing?

Mine is hiding the offline albums that I've deleted before, and showing only the offline and online albums that I've not deleted.

EDIT: And you can select only music on your phone (offline), only music on straming or both.

So with "Show streaming music in my collection" set to off all my playlists from my PC now appear. They all show 0 songs in each playlist except for the only I actually transferred. I don't know why these are showing up.

wp_ss_20140428_0002.jpg

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
So with "Show streaming music in my collection" set to off all my playlists from my PC now appear. They all show 0 songs in each playlist except for the only I actually transferred. I don't know why these are showing up.

View attachment 64843

Try this:

- Activate the "Show streaming music in my collection"
- Go to "playlists" option
- at top, below the "playlists" word there is an option where you can select what you want to be shown.

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Following 8.1 install and a clear out of all music from SD card, followed by placing 3 albums on it I have issues. Whilst I can see the 3 new albums and play them, I also have listed some of the removed albums (not sure if all or not). In trying to play them it will just crap out to main screen, on shuffle it will end on one of the 3 albums which do exist and start to play.

Looked at the SD and the card defo only has the 3 albums. Issue however is on the phone storage side under music I can see these album files (they seem to be files and not folders). Issue is can't remove them as protected and can't change protection. Also phone storage reports 0kb on music.

Very annoying, any solution bar hard resetting etc.

Thanks.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Try this:

- Activate the "Show streaming music in my collection"
- Go to "playlists" option
- at top, below the "playlists" word there is an option where you can select what you want to be shown.

Took your suggestion. After trying it, all the playlists previously listed show up no matter if I pick phone only, SD or all music. Very odd that they would sync to the phone with that feature turned off. If I plug in my phone to my PC and navigate to the playlist folder within Music on the phone, they only playlist showing up is the one I manually synced.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
My question right now is why is this app worse (for syncing / performance) than the Xbox Music app that was recently released as a preview for WP8? I never had the black screen issues, and syncing seemed to work a lot better. Overall performance was much better. Somehow the quality went down from the Xbox Music PREVIEW that was released for 8, to the Music app for 8.1. Can we get an app developer to make a better 3rd party one? :-\

Oh, and there was a "never use data" option, not just "don't show streaming music" because even with that turned off it still plays some cloud-only music. Found that out the hard way the other day.

Xpider, this is the reason why I and others are worried. We get that it's a preview, but the music experience on Windows phone has NEVER improved. I've had WP7.5 phones, WP8 phones, and now 8.1, and with ever iteration it gets a little worse (or a lot)
That's why I'm worried.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Xpider, this is the reason why I and others are worried. We get that it's a preview, but the music experience on Windows phone has NEVER improved. I've had WP7.5 phones, WP8 phones, and now 8.1, and with ever iteration it gets a little worse (or a lot)
That's why I'm worried.

Well, I was talking about the issues in the music app, bugs that can be repaired. You are talking about the "experience", the features you want, and maybe it will never fill your expectations.

I can live with the WP8 experience, just I don't want any bugs, and I'm sure the WP equip will work hard for solving all the bugs before WP8.1 launch.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I just do not understand why 3rd party developers can write an awesome app in about 3 days (Rudy Huyn, what?), but Microsoft can't do it in months.

I also don't understand why Listen and countless other music apps seem to load mp3s instantly whereas Xbox Music does not.

For the record, it does not work AT ALL on my 520. And I'm not being hyperbolic. Since the most recent Xbox Music update, the app gets stuck on the "Loading..." screen and then immediately crashes. Every. Single. Time.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I just do not understand why 3rd party developers can write an awesome app in about 3 days (Rudy Huyn, what?), but Microsoft can't do it in months.

Because we are talking about a music player, a Xbox Music client and a Xbox Music Store client. Are you a developer? I am a dev (not phone apps dev) and it is not easy as pleople think.

I also don't understand why Listen and countless other music apps seem to load mp3s instantly whereas Xbox Music does not.

Same reason.

For the record, it does not work AT ALL on my 520. And I'm not being hyperbolic. Since the most recent Xbox Music update, the app gets stuck on the "Loading..." screen and then immediately crashes. Every. Single. Time.

Then, something go wrong at update, I guess a soft reset or hard reset will do the work. You also can back to 8.0, it is a OS+Firmware solution, with finished system apps.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I haven't even looked at loading all my music and movies yet Si I have a question.

Can we use double tap on the PC to load everything we need and bypass using Xbox completely?

Mac

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I am facing a problem with the Xbox Music app which is so damn annoying!
Many of song's artist is unrecognizable and it shows Unknown Artist!
But in the Artist's Section there is no "Unknown Artist".!
Is there any fix for it?? Or I'll have to wait for the update??

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Because we are talking about a music player, a Xbox Music client and a Xbox Music Store client. Are you a developer? I am a dev (not phone apps dev) and it is not easy as pleople think.

No, I'm not a developer. But I think the issue here is some sort of issue with overall project management and not the developers. I mean, if Rudy Huyn power through an app in one week, go through a beta testing, fix all the bugs, and then drop it publicly to critical and commercial acclaim, I don't think the biggest computer company in the world should be lagging. I get that it's a store and a player, but come on. Given how many other competent music players exist in the Marketplace right now, I see no reason why Microsoft should be dropping the ball. This doesn't seem to be an issue for Apple or Google.

Then, something go wrong at update, I guess a soft reset or hard reset will do the work. You also can back to 8.0, it is a OS+Firmware solution, with finished system apps.

I've reset the phone a billion times. And I really should not have to hard reset the phone just for an app update. That kind of defeats the purpose of an update. I already hard reset it after I installed Windows Phone 8.1, so if I did it again... I would just have to update it again, and wouldn't I be stuck in the same boat? I'm running 8.0 on my daily driver. I'm following 8.1's development on my 520 to see if I'm going to switch to the iPhone upon 8.1's release or not. As much as I love Windows Phone 8, I'd rather use Windows Phone 7 pre-Mango than 8.1 in its current condition.

TheWPFan

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I noticed the last music app update was a universal app. My biggest issue is the album artwork not showing. All my music shows artwork in the File Explorer preview pane and Windows Media Player on Windows 8...

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Following 8.1 install and a clear out of all music from SD card, followed by placing 3 albums on it I have issues. Whilst I can see the 3 new albums and play them, I also have listed some of the removed albums (not sure if all or not). In trying to play them it will just crap out to main screen, on shuffle it will end on one of the 3 albums which do exist and start to play.

Looked at the SD and the card defo only has the 3 albums. Issue however is on the phone storage side under music I can see these album files (they seem to be files and not folders). Issue is can't remove them as protected and can't change protection. Also phone storage reports 0kb on music.

Very annoying, any solution bar hard resetting etc.

Thanks.

Sorry to bump this but any one experience the same and manage to solve? Would rather not have to install all apps again.. Altho not sure what is best given the protected files are on the phone and not the SD where all apps are.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to bump this but any one experience the same and manage to solve? Would rather not have to install all apps again.. Altho not sure what is best given the protected files are on the phone and not the SD where all apps are.

Check the SD card from your computer side. When I upgraded to 8.1, it had somehow corrupted some of my albums and replaced them with .1kb place holders.

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Check the SD card from your computer side. When I upgraded to 8.1, it had somehow corrupted some of my albums and replaced them with .1kb place holders.

That is what's happened BUT on the phone storage side of things. SD is fine! Can't remove these 1kb hidden files as they are protected. Worryingly imagine only solution is to hard reset phone.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
That is what's happened BUT on the phone storage side of things. SD is fine! Can't remove these 1kb hidden files as they are protected. Worryingly imagine only solution is to hard reset phone.

They're protected? That's just... ugh. Yup. You're going to have to hard reset to get rid of them, methinks.

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Ive played around with Xbox Music for awhile now, here are my thoughts of what is needed.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ear-microsoft-lets-talk-about-xbox-music.html

Its defiantly a work in progress, if they work on some of the problems I describe and continue to add features it will be a nice app. But right now, totally broken.

Another thing I was wondering, how can we get MS to add photos of artists to xbox music? On the old app artist Hoodie Allen had a picture and now he doesn't? I pin artists to my start screen in my "Music" section and they show pictures of his albums, which makes the screen look cluttered.

Here is what I mean
Music.jpg.jpg
wp_ss_20140430_0005.jpg

As you can see Juicy J, Dizzy Wright, and Hoodie Allen do not have artist pictures, just their albums, which looks bad imo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo