How many of you started hating your windows phone after WP8.1???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
When I say I hate WP 8.1...why do you guys always think about stability.....wat abt Microsoft's video,music and Xbox 🎮 apps,battery 🔋 ,display and settings?????

There is a reason why it is called a DEVELOPER Preview and not just any ordinary update. It is mostly meant for developers who want to code new stuff into their app using new API's released by MS that are compatible only with 8.1. For example, those who use the dev preview in its true sense are mostly developers who want to work on cortana integration for their apps or WP8.1's slightly changed design language. What most people tend to overlook is that many features have to be polished before the OS is ready for use by a non developer. However, most of the people upgrading to 8.1 are not from the developer community, they are from the enthusisast community. Because this is mainly meant for developers, things like the music hub and games hub etc. are not fully polished.

I too am running 8.1 on my 920 and apart from a few lags here and there, it is perfectly smooth. If you want a completely stable build then you should wait for the official upgrade and not use the Dev Preview. Since you cannot revert to 8.0 now, there is nothing you can do. However, I suggest that you uninstall some heavy applications, whether they are games or apps the reason being that RAM usage has not been fully polished in the dev preview which is the likely cause of lags

Oh and whats wrong with display and settings?

Hemanth sanam

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Another that expects it all. Didn't read the notices and terms at AppStudio that you agreed to so you could install 8.1?

"A preview update only includes the Microsoft portion of the update; mobile operator and OEM driver updates will be available when the official update for your phone is available."

So, you are running the 8.1 operating system with the Nokia 8.0 firmware and carrier 8.0 setup and complain of lag?
Calling 8.1 an update shows lack of knowledge. 8.1 is a preview for developers.
Best advice, rollback and wait.

Ok..now that told I hate wp8.1 everyone started teaching me.....I've been trying say that all the Microsoft apps started lagging after the update..the battery drains a lot.

So now u r saying that developers preview has many bugs related to battery 🔋 too....come on...wat abt the previous update(developers preview) from Microsoft the battery worked like a pro no lags at all!!!

Hemanth sanam

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
There is a reason why it is called a DEVELOPER Preview and not just any ordinary update. It is mostly meant for developers who want to code new stuff into their app using new API's released by MS that are compatible only with 8.1. For example, those who use the dev preview in its true sense are mostly developers who want to work on cortana integration for their apps or WP8.1's slightly changed design language. What most people tend to overlook is that many features have to be polished before the OS is ready for use by a non developer. However, most of the people upgrading to 8.1 are not from the developer community, they are from the enthusisast community. Because this is mainly meant for developers, things like the music hub and games hub etc. are not fully polished.

I too am running 8.1 on my 920 and apart from a few lags here and there, it is perfectly smooth. If you want a completely stable build then you should wait for the official upgrade and not use the Dev Preview. Since you cannot revert to 8.0 now, there is nothing you can do. However, I suggest that you uninstall some heavy applications, whether they are games or apps the reason being that RAM usage has not been fully polished in the dev preview which is the likely cause of lags

Oh and whats wrong with display and settings?

Common man!!! If that update is really meant for DEVELOPERS there is no need of publishing the PREVIEW FOR DEVELOPERS app on the store...and Our WPCENTRAL guys no need make a video tutorial about how to download the preview update for DEVELOPERS!!!
Now pls stop using the phrase PREVIEW FOR DEVELOPERS!!!!
And pls note: I LUV WINDOWS!!!

Coming to the settings there is still no useful USB settings for windows phone!!!!
The wifi 📶 is great but but it keep forgetting the passwords as always.

Wat abt the audio settings still no change log.

When I turn on the automatic brightness my phone's behaving like a ghost!!!...sometimes with high contrast and more brightness

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
quite the contrary - I love my phone even more than before the update. The only thing ive noticed is that sometimes there is a slight lag when pressing the unlock button (Lumia Icon) - this happens maybe once every 5-10 days, which case, ive just restarted the phone and its back to its normal zippy self. Every time i pull my phone out in a meeting, or in a public place, people ask "hey, is that a windows phone".........they all ask if i like it, and tell me how frustrated they are with their android phones, and how much they need a new phone. I tell them to go and try a windows phone for 2 weeks, and to ask me if they have any ?'s etc. I am all about advancing the WP marketshare, because i do not like Google's addspam tactics, and Apples locked ecosystem. MS services are cross platform, and are accessible from any device, unlike google and apples.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
May be u hav the devil's luck 🍀!!!

or maybe you're the one with bad patience...
it's a Preview for Developer, so technically speaking it's not for everyone, including you and me
if you can't stand the bug then use this experience as a lesson and don't install the next update's PfD (8.1 GDR1)

fyi, my 1020 is still sofa king smooth with the 8.1 PfD
the only major problem I got with the 8.1 was battery life, yet it returned to normal after approx. 2 weeks

btw, have you tried a reset?

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok..now that told I hate wp8.1 everyone started teaching me.....I've been trying say that all the Microsoft apps started lagging after the update..the battery drains a lot.

So now u r saying that developers preview has many bugs related to battery �� too....come on...wat abt the previous update(developers preview) from Microsoft the battery worked like a pro no lags at all!!!

It's like you didn't understand the person you quoted at all. The developer preview is essentially core basic/standard issue 8.1, which is not fine tuned to any of the devices out yet. OEMs don't just get these OS and push a button to let it install on all devices that they manufacture and ship, they test it to fine tune them so the OS can adjust to certain technical specifications of each line of device, and the end result is the snappy-smooth system performance that we would get when we buy the phone out of the box. This is the point of having Amber, Black, and the upcoming Cyan.

As for why the previous DP didn't have lag or other issues, 1) Some people did have issues, you just happened to be lucky that none of the new codes affected your device specifically (or in a noticeable way) and 2) the previous DP changed far less things than this one. It's like installing a car seat from 2006 on a 2005 model and you won't feel too different, but if you put the 2014 model seat into the 2005 car, you'd definitely notice some awkwardness.

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Common man!!! If that update is really meant for DEVELOPERS there is no need of publishing the PREVIEW FOR DEVELOPERS app on the store...and Our WPCENTRAL guys no need make a video tutorial about how to download the preview update for DEVELOPERS!!!

The update IS meant for devs. It is the enthusiast community who, by their mass downloads, have changed its meaning. The preview for developers app still requires you to have an app studio or a dev center account. It does not magically update your phone. The preview for devs app clearly states that it is meant for devs who have a valid app studio account. Despite knowing this, everyone has gone and cretaed an app studio account, half of them not knowing what app studio is, just to get the update. And then when they see the bugs they curse ms, completely oblivious to the fact that they were warned that it is for devs and it will have bugs.
The preview for devs app was published in order to enable phones to get the update. It would have taken MS and users much more time and effort to update using another medium.
I have no problem stooping the usage of the phrase "Preview for Developers". But my not saying it does not change its meaning

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I luv my 1020 so much until I've been updated to wp8.1.This new update made my phone lag, lag and lag all the...why does Microsoft do such a nut job like 8.1, of course it has some useful features which help but, 8.1 made no difference between Android and Windows.
I used mock my friends about their phones lagging all the time..but now its my turn!!!!!��

I have no lag on my 1020 with the preview. In fact, it's a little bit quicker than 8.0.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. Kinda do. Miss the hubs. Miss my ME tile. The quick scan and reply of the peep hub. I actually unpinned my ME tile because its utterly useless. Thinking about unpinning people too. Hate using it now because of the splash screen of facebook everytime I do anything. That FB app sux. I was just smoked by WP8.1 downloading this preview. :(

If they're gonna make us use an app to do everything now I might as well look into iOS or Droid. They specialize in apps and rock that retro 2007 screens of icons!

I feel bad for you.You aught to look into removing the Developer Preview and going back 8.0 till you get your Apple or Droid.

I'll say this though.....after all is said and done with those, you'll be back. 😊

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Nope - works fine here on my Lumia 925.

Only slight issue I have seen is the screen quickly flickering sometimes when scrolling, sometimes on the start screen and particularly on WPC app and on Get High With Words. Not enough to say I "hate" it.

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Coming to the settings there is still no useful USB settings for windows phone!!!!
The wifi �� is great but but it keep forgetting the passwords as always.

Wat abt the audio settings still no change log.

When I turn on the automatic brightness my phone's behaving like a ghost!!!...sometimes with high contrast and more brightness

Regarding USB Settings, go to cortana, key in usb, swipe to phone, and you will see usb settings

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. Kinda do. Miss the hubs. Miss my ME tile. The quick scan and reply of the peep hub. I actually unpinned my ME tile because its utterly useless. Thinking about unpinning people too. Hate using it now because of the splash screen of facebook everytime I do anything. That FB app sux. I was just smoked by WP8.1 downloading this preview. :(

If they're gonna make us use an app to do everything now I might as well look into iOS or Droid. They specialize in apps and rock that retro 2007 screens of icons!
Agree 100%

Hemanth sanam

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
or maybe you're the one with bad patience...
it's a Preview for Developer, so technically speaking it's not for everyone, including you and me
if you can't stand the bug then use this experience as a lesson and don't install the next update's PfD (8.1 GDR1)

fyi, my 1020 is still sofa king smooth with the 8.1 PfD
the only major problem I got with the 8.1 was battery life, yet it returned to normal after approx. 2 weeks

btw, have you tried a reset?

Yeah I've tried reset and it worked fine for a while and after a few days its normal!!!
And FYI I'm not the one with bad patience I've waited 5-6 mnths for the update😃!!

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I think that from the OP posts it shows how little he understands about 8.1

It would be a good idea for him to go back to 8.0 until 8.1 is released with cyan.

BTW my wives 1020 with 8.1 is faster, smoother and has better battery life. As with all my windows phones the first couple of days had bad battery but then they improved to better than before.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't feel any lag on my Lumia 810, which I updated to 8.1 about a week and a half or so ago. I'm really liking 8.1 for the most part. The music issue has been solved thanks to that music hub app, but the glitch in the uploading images to OneDrive is driving me batty! :angry: Thought it would be back to normal after the OneDrive update last week, but no dice. Other than that, though, I really like 8.1. But I'll wait for an official release before updating my 925 and I think I'll just keep my 920 on Windows Phone 8.

Hemanth sanam

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I think that from the OP posts it shows how little he understands about 8.1

It would be a good idea for him to go back to 8.0 until 8.1 is released with cyan.

BTW my wives 1020 with 8.1 is faster, smoother and has better battery life. As with all my windows phones the first couple of days had bad battery but then they improved to better than before.

Common really!
"A better battery life"😆

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone moaning about the dev preview used the diagnostics app?

I've not used it in any anger, but if you have issues, surely using that is going to actually give some useful feedback to Microsoft, which might enable the problems to be fixed.

Bernard Ofori

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I luv my 1020 so much until I've been updated to wp8.1.This new update made my phone lag, lag and lag all the...why does Microsoft do such a nut job like 8.1, of course it has some useful features which help but, 8.1 made no difference between Android and Windows.
I used mock my friends about their phones lagging all the time..but now its my turn!!!!!��
do what i did. hard reset your phone.first back up your phones and start everything fresh. your OS will still be running 8.1 after a fresh installation,no need to go through the old process of updating to 8.1 and it doesnt take long. my phone is lag free and faster now. getting better battery life now. it says i have a day and 20 hours battery left after doing a fresh installation.i used to get just 12 hours of battery life now its a day:cool: and its running smooth now. try this

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'll be honest and sort of agree with the op.

I'm aware its a dev preview but I wish id stuck with just WP 8.

My main issues is an old one, notifications. They are terrible. They break on whatsapp, Facebook and Facebook messenger all the time. At least whatsapp tells me they are broken and the phone needs rebooted.

The phone (920) had lagged a bit more than it did on 8.

My fav feature is the swipe keyboard, it's brilliant. The notification centre is almost useless as notifications hardly come through to go into it.

Think I'll get a Moto g until the proper release of 8.1 makes its way to O2 UK, that could be 4-5 months away.

Whatsapp hasn't been updated to support any of the new features. If you have the facebook beta, it hasn't been updated correctly either. The release version of facebook works fine for notifications on both of my phones. As does messenger.

Blaming un-updated apps for a non-released version of an OS is pretty ridiculous. Why would you even install something that is a "preview" or "beta" on your daily device. I'm blown away by people who can't wait for a full release, then complain that it isn't working right? Not an actual developer, don't install it.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Question, dont know if this has been said already.... If you dont like the 8.1, why dont you use NSU to flash your device back to 8.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs