Did anyone with a T-Mobile 925 update to the 8.1 Dev Preview, then downgrade back to 8.0?

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone if anyone that has a T-Mobile branded Lumia 925 updated to 8.1 and then downgraded back down to 8.0 and if you did, why did you do it?

I'm considering downgrading only so i can use Wifi Calling which is broken on the 8.1 Dev Preview..and also because of the power button being unresponsive at times. Thus causing me to a soft reset.

Michael Kozak

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Got a Tmob 925 running 8.1 ... and couldn't go back now to 8.0. Nope. Cortana spoiled me, as did notification center. Not to forget transparent start screen.

Battery life did suffer with 8.1. Went from roughly 25-30 hours of moderate use, to now bout 15 or 16 hours of same usage. And can't really run much in background yet-but hopeful firmware update will help.

No turning back for me ~ 😎

PS - can't help you with Wi-Fi calling (mine works fine on 8.1 ... but I prefer cellular calls). I don't have power button difficulties either.

First few weeks running 8.1? I ALMOST did the same - reinstall 8.0. But glad I didn't now!!

What may have worked for me? Was a hard reset BEFORE and AFTER installing 8.1. To completely wipe old apps from phone, to start fresh. Seems that works for some people. Did for me. Good luck 🍀.

Last edited:

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Wi-Fi calling still works for me. It's trying to send SMS with wifi calling enabled that's broken. I just disable wifi calling and turn it on only when I need to use it for a call. I can't go back to WP8. I like 8.1 too much to go back lol.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm toying with it just because of the "Me Tile" functionality being all but gone... I'm giving it a bit more time to get going with Apps like Multishare and such, but it's driving me insane having to update 2 or 3 different social networks at a time... I liked it when it posted to Twitter and Facebook at the same time!

Also, I received a notification from Nokia via email this morning asking if my Lumia was ready for Windows Phone 8.1... Is the official release coming sooner than later?

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My wifi calling works just fine. It's the inability to send texts messages that's not working.

I may do a hard reset to see if I have a better experience than I did before. Maybe that may help.

Plus, I do miss Cortana and the Notification Center. I hate trying to search apps for alerts ..on 8.0.

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well ..i officially reverted back to 8.0. Prior to reverting back to 8.0, I downgraded the phone and again updated to 8.1...it ran really smooth with no hiccups whatsoever.

However, since my T-Mobile service is not that good where I live and I want to receive calls in my home, I had to weigh my needs versus my wants. Sure I wanted the features of 8.1...but I needed the phone to work :) as well. So back to 8.0 I went.

If I can find a ATT 925 or another variant WP, I'll be sure to upgrade back up to 8.1 because i won't have to worry about service then.

Goodeye

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What's the point of this?

Well if someone is using the JUMP program I can see why someone would wanna downgrade the OS back to stock before turning in the phone

Speaking of which how does one go about doing that? I ask because I'm on Jump and my upgrade date is in July. I'm not expecting T-Mobile to have the official 8.1 by then on the 925.

AbsoluteZerow

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Michael Kozak, I can't go back to 8.0. Everything has been running very well on my 925 since upgrading to 8.1. WiFi calling does work for me but it breaks SMS so I disabled WiFi calling. The only other issue I've had with 8.1 was decreased battery life... but its not bad enough to make me go back to 8.0. I'm looking forward to the final release of 8.1.

Michael Kozak

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Well ?!? ..... Never say never, I guess, right?

After yet ANOTHER week of sluggish battery life, to say the least. I downloaded the Nokia Recovery Tool last night ... and reset my 925 to 8.0.

As much as I LOVED Cortana, Notifications and the Start Screen backgrounds ... I NEED a working phone, not a pretty one!! I'll probably be stupid enough to reinstall 8.1 when the carriers send it out. In my case, Tmob, which will probably mean late Summer. Give it a second chance. But ... I'm convinced now, its the OS that is the problem. And I should have known better, having run Windows all these years on my laptop (and all the bugs, patches, problems I've had running that). But I just fell in love with the simplicity of the Windows Phone scheme and thought "things will be different this time". :wink:

LOVE my Nokia branded 925 ~ just not so in love anymore with Windows 8.1. And looking for my charger cable pretty consistently; twice a day most times; and sometimes 3 times if I even THINK about having a little fun with my phone!!

I'm DEFINITELY not a gamer, or even a heavy user of my phones. Mainly some low intensity games like 2048, maybe 30 texts a day/night, check WPCentral a couple times a day, a phone call here and there, possibly 5 emails and some internet use. All in all I would say at MOST, I'm on my cell throughout the day and night a TOTAL of 3 hours at most!! And that's intermittently and definitely not every day.

So .... yesterday rolls along and an update for OneDrive comes out .... and sure enough .... phone gets hot after installing it, battery drains like crazy and my nerves hit there final end .....lol.

Not to mention the OneDrive problem ... then worked its way to include and mess up my OneNote application .... I guess because everything is synced .... which led ME to say, enough is enough.

Sorry .... AbsoluteZerow .... and anyone else reading this, but like I said .... I NEED a working phone. One that at the very least can get me through ONE day, for gosh sakes. I don't think that's asking too much.

Who knows .... maybe 8.1 with the firmware added .... things will be better; but I'm kinda doubting that now. I really think its the OS. I have two TEENAGE kids and as youu can guess, they are on their phones day and night ... pretty much 24/7 .... (both running IOS 7 on iPhones 4S's and a wife with an iPhone 5c ..... that kind of laugh at me now as I run around the house asking where was the last place I left MY charger cable ~ :smile: .... as they just smile back and say I should've gotten an iPhone)

Anyways.... like I said ..... I'm PROBABLY stupid enough to give windows one last chance with the Carrier update (because I do really want this phone to WORK).
BUT ... If things happen again like these last 3 weeks ...... Here I come Apple!!

Hanging in there .... for now, but on 8.0 !!

Good luck all !!

Last edited:

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya Kozak...you got to do what ya gotta do. After all the main function of a cellphone is the ability to make calls and you can't do that if the battery is constantly draining.

Today I have noticed my 925 getting hot too at certain points of usage. Heck after I thought I had my 925 all set up and working fine with no issues, my phone got hot and locked up twice. Both times I had to do a soft reboot. Then when I was getting off work about an hour later, I felt my phone getting warm in my pocket. I pulled it out and yup, it wouldn't wake up..just a black screen. So I had to do another soft reboot. I have a feeling I will also be reverting back to 8.0 once I get home from picking up my wife from class.

Michael Kozak

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
After reverting back to 8.0 .... I'm back to getting a good 25-30 hours usage! And I can even allow a couple apps to run in background!!

Nice to have a phone again ~ 😎

But I will confess to missing Word Flow keyboard. This "peck, peck, pecking" to type is sooooo yesterday - lol.

Not to mention the love that was building for Cortana!! 💙💙

And ... If I'm being honest? Having to go back and use the flat Metro style squares on my start screen - just makes my cell look / seem a tad outdated now.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12