Give the option to update the phone via PC.... Everyone doesn't have a Wi-Fi connection :'(

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
it was a hassle to use zune , OTA updates are much better and they are easy to download and update your phone to the latest version.
Yeah, but I would like an option to do a fresh install for any OS update, it improves the performance of the device. It is currently not possible via OTA, either I have to hard reset the phone, or flash using Nokia Software Recovery tool, which is not possible as latest firmware for my 620 is uptil only GDR1,ie Portico. So, the tool shows an error when I connect my phone-" Software package not available for this phone". What to do? IPad can be updated both via iTunes and OTA, right? I would like an option similar to that.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but I would like an option to do a fresh install for any OS update, it improves the performance of the device. It is currently not possible via OTA, either I have to hard reset the phone, or flash using Nokia Software Recovery tool, which is not possible as latest firmware for my 620 is uptil only GDR1,ie Portico. So, the tool shows an error when I connect my phone-" Software package not available for this phone". What to do? IPad can be updated both via iTunes and OTA, right? I would like an option similar to that.

yes , I always update my iPad/iPhone via OTA or if I want to do a hard reset iTunes takes care of that , it automatically backup all my stuff and then try to download the latest iOS ipsw files and boot up my device :smile: but sometimes its a messy to use iTunes :/

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Give the option to update the phone via PC.... Everyone doesn't have a Wi-Fi connection :'( This feature was in Zune..... Why remove it? Vote here to bring it back-

Give the option to update the phone by connecting to PC....not everyone has a Wi-Fi connection :'( ?€“ Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

I will rather go to Nokia Care and get it updated to Cyan, but will never ask for Zune - the Crap. I had hard time with this ******* ****. It was the best move from MS (Leaving Zune)

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I have Wi-Fi at my home, but it has a very low speed(512kb/s) so I prefer to use a 3g dongle on my PC.
I don't mean to be rude but I think its time you changed your internet service provider for faster stored because nowadays everything uses WiFi. And yeah, it would be nice if Zune would come back. Back then, Zune was ahead of its time, now we need it more than ever.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't mean to be rude but I think its time you changed your internet service provider for faster stored because nowadays everything uses WiFi. And yeah, it would be nice if Zune would come back. Back then, Zune was ahead of its time, now we need it more than ever.

lol I am still using a cheap 1mbps connection and on my mobile when I use 2G , because its cheap and I can do my work on the go without any issues. High-speed internet in India is costly and have stupid cap limits.

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm all for being able to download updates and install via PC. Some carriers won't push out 8.1 because a) they don't sell WP phones, b) the user base for them is to small so they can't be bothered. Already some carriers haven't even pushed out GDR3 and don't intend to or only for some phones (nokia) and not for others (htc) in some places. T-Mobile anyone?

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm all for being able to download updates and install via PC. Some carriers won't push out 8.1 because a) they don't sell WP phones, b) the user base for them is to small so they can't be bothered. Already some carriers haven't even pushed out GDR3 and don't intend to or only for some phones (nokia) and not for others (htc) in some places. T-Mobile anyone?

Yeah,I wouldn't like to have another 810 like fiasco for any device.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree, wifi isn't available everywhere. My university wifi has proxy settings thus I can' connect the phone even though I can connect my laptop. The nearest place with open wifi is 40km away

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

veved

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Here in Kenya getting Wi-Fi is not possible. I usually create a Wi-Fi hotspot using my USB modem plus connectify. I'm thus able to use Wi-Fi from my laptop to use my phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro