Usb 3 asus desktop not working

10curtains

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi I'm hoping someone can help.
I am not techy. So please please no technical terms.
I bought an Asus desktop pc last year and the usb3 ports don't work. They have never worked. I phoned asus and was told I needed a converter as all my devices are usb 2. This was from their tech guy. I did look online and became convinced that this is not the case.
Any of the websites that mention this problem talk in another language. (tech language).
I am worried about trying anything that is discussed as I don't fully understand it and I have 4 usb 2 on the back that do work and I am afraid that if I tinker they will stop working.
My pc is up to date. It's running the latest version of windows 8.1?
Any advice would be appreciated.

At the moment to save me pulling out the tower I have left a usb cable in the spare usb2 on the back, but that doesn't help me when I back up my photos on a portable hard drive or want to transfer photos to a usb stick.

10curtains

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
The pc didn't come with a disc.
There is 4 usb2 on back
2 usb3 on front.
Front ones don't work ( usb3) phone,portable hard drive or tablet.
When I try to connect to Asus online, it never connects.
The desktop was loaded with windows 8. Now I can't remember if I tried to connect usb3 before I updated to windows 8.1. I'm afraid I let the computer do most of the thinking for me.
I did phone Asus support. He told me because everything I had was usb2 the two ports on front wouldn't work with them.
I am correct in saying you do not need an adapter and I should be able to connect my phone through these ports and they should work?
With searching online I thought I needed to update drivers. I can't find where to get them.
Microsoft says it's up to date. ( I did an online check.)
I appreciate any advice.

10curtains

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm not near computer at moment .I don't know model no.
I will check tomorrow.
Crikey that sounds abrupt. Sorry.
I have been burying my head in the sand after Asus tech guy told me I needed adapter.
Now that I know he was havering I am going to start looking for solution.

Thankyou for helping.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The ASUS support guy is full of it. USB 3.0 is backwards compatible to USB 2.0 an 1.0.

I would recommend opening the computer and check the front USB connector to the motherboard. It may have wiggled loose in transit, or even put on backwards when they built it (check the manual to verify).

10curtains

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I have checked online Asus website. I am afraid this is all double Dutch to me. ( bupdater utility V1.30 for flash BIOS under DOS. Whaaaat. Dos omg my first computer had that. At the moment I need some valium and strong alcohol. I'm breaking out in a sweat at the mention of DOS.

I have no idea what I am doing. This machine is still under guarantee and even their website is telling me to take it apart. They have got to be joking. I clean houses for a living, I definitely don't fix computers. I only clean them.

I know I am not stupid as I upgraded my old XP desktop ram 8 years ago. I printed of a very helpful list of instructions and stayed off the g&t until I had finished. ( steady hands needed)
Even I know taking off the case will null and void the guarantee. I used to sell electrical appliances. I decided peoples expectations were becoming more unreasonable so became self employed instead.
So next step is phone those tech guys at Asus and demand that a computer that is less than a year old should have all it's ports working. I don't think that's being unreasonable expecting that it should work. If the techy person talks me through it.
Thanks to you all for confirming that usb2 stuff works in usb3 ports.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually a desktop computer is the one thing you can open up and take a peak inside, and not void a warranty. Laptop's, and tablets... nope, that will void your warranty if you go tinkering around inside. Weird, huh? But that's just the way things are. It's a "grandfather" clause type of thing.

Do you have a neighbor kid that's into computers? You might be able to bribe him to take a look inside your system for you. Just ask their parents first if it's ok.

10curtains

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Guzzler3 nope to kid. All the people I know of the younger generation I have to show them what to do. Go figure. My family all have iPhones and have no idea what their capable of.
I think I'm on my own with this one. Hey ho I'll phone Asus Tuesday , if no joy with them I am taking it apart myself.
Thanks for advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes