Return of the dreaded 'volume magically deciding to drop to 0' bug. nooooo!!!

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So back when I owned the Lumia 920 evrything was fine for the first few months, then I began experiencing something odd. While listening to music, the volume would suddenly drop all the way to zero and not allow me to increase it. If I pressed volume up it would go to 1 and back down to zero. After a while it got even weirder. Sometimes the volume would randomly go allthe way up, all the way down, then up to midway. Long story short there was something wrong with the volume.

RMA'd it, new 920 began experiencing the same issues. I got so frustrated that I upgraded my old Dell Venue Pro to 7.5 to use that as my mp3 player. Within months it had the same issue. Volume would randomly drop to zero.The only thing that would solve it was a reboot but after a while this stopped working as well. It would require several reboots and sometimes even that wouldn't work. I'd have to just wait until it decided that it wanted to work again. So I switched to Verizon and got the Lumia 928. Worked like a charm. I was elated! No more volume issues! They solved it! I never had any issues with the 928.

Fast forward to two days ago. I upgraded to the Lumia Icon (awesome phone) a few months ago and everything was fine up until two days ago. I'm on the treadmill jamming and BOOM!!! The volume dropped allllll the way to zero and wouldn't budge. I had to reboot. It has now happened 3 times in the last few days and I'm seriously concerned now. If my 920 issues are any indication then eventually rebooting the phone, 'soft rebooting' the phone and every other solution I googled will stop working. It will just decide to drop the volume and I'll have to wait for it to decide to start working again. What's really troubling is I've already upgraded to the 8.1 developer preview which retooled the volume controls, so any hopes of the new volume control solving this issue is already off the table.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I've stuck with Microsoft through WP7 and am happy with the progress and I'd hate to have to abandon the platform but this a HUGE issue for me. I'm a runner. I need my music. When this started happening with my 920 I tried every channel (Nokia, MS forums, etc) and got lots of responses but neither MS nor Nokia appeared to take note because it's still happening.

Sad to say but if this isn't addressed soon I'm going to have to try Android. :unhappysweat:

JoBavacciulone

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello. Offbeatbop, you aren't the only one to have the problem. I had to stop three times my running this morning because of the sound going down to zero and having to restart my phone. I finished the run without my running application and only the music. But the bug did go on one more time. Then, no more during the final three or four kilometers. When the level goes to zero, the "title playing" stays scotched on the welcome screen and i had to stop it with quick settings. I searched on google. I didn't find responses but yours.
Is it a bug coming from the running applications ( i've got four: runstatic, endomondo, caledos and nike + ( i didn't try it ) ) ? From the music player or "stop the music" in quick settings ?
Good afternoon.
PS: It occured on Wp 8 and WP 8.1.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello. Offbeatbop, you aren't the only one to have the problem. I had to stop three times my running this morning because of the sound going down to zero and having to restart my phone. I finished the run without my running application and only the music. But the bug did go on one more time. Then, no more during the final three or four kilometers. When the level goes to zero, the "title playing" stays scotched on the welcome screen and i had to stop it with quick settings. I searched on google. I didn't find responses but yours.
Is it a bug coming from the running applications ( i've got four: runstatic, endomondo, caledos and nike + ( i didn't try it ) ) ? From the music player or "stop the music" in quick settings ?
Good afternoon.
PS: It occured on Wp 8 and WP 8.1.

Hi Joe,

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it which is the scary part. I've posted about this on Microsoft forums, Nokia forums and of course wpcentral and based on the replies:
1. It's application independent.The problem cannot be isolated to any particular app or set of apps.
2. It's hardware independent. I received replies on Microsoft forums from people experiencing the issue with HTC handsets.
3. There's no guaranteed way to make it stop. A simple reboot may fix it, a soft reset (pressing volume and power)ay fix it, a complete phone reset may fix it or NONE may fix it and you might just have to wait until it decides to start working again.

I suspect that at this point SOMEONE at either Microsoft or Nokia is aware of the issue bit with most strange bugs like this unfortunately they won't acknowledge it until they can consistently reproduce it.

Hang in there man, you are not alone. I'm hoping they sort it out because I really do want to stick with WP.

JoBavacciulone

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the answer. I did a soft reboot but i'll have to wait until the next run. I'll tell you next sunday. However, this is not really optimistic. I won the Nokia 1020 at a lottery, so i'm not really a fan but i'm beginning to appreciate it. We'll see. Bye.

TimboNJ

May 12, 2012
Visit site
What headphones are you using by the way? I'm wondering if the brand has anything to do with it since I don't have a problem ever using a line in cord. I use "Beats" headphones.

JoBavacciulone

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I did my running this morning. I 've been happily surprised. My msic did work 2 hours long without any bug. I did a soft reset
last sunday, that's all. I used Nike +, played the music from the app and no problem. But Nike + disappeared from my phone at 15, 9 kilometers and i've no record of the run. Nike + was very good on apple Iphone, less good on android and is very bad on Windowsphone.
I noticed that my battery lost 50% in two hours and a quarter. On WP 8; it was 25 %. Have a nice WE.

123gettothechopper

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Sad to say but if this isn't addressed soon I'm going to have to try Android. :unhappysweat:

No don't do it! This problem will be fixed in the new firmware update a.k.a Lumia Cyan. My son's 520 had the same problem, but with Lumia Black it got fixed, never experienced these issues in 1520 though.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I did my running this morning. I 've been happily surprised. My msic did work 2 hours long without any bug. I did a soft reset
last sunday, that's all. I used Nike +, played the music from the app and no problem. But Nike + disappeared from my phone at 15, 9 kilometers and i've no record of the run. Nike + was very good on apple Iphone, less good on android and is very bad on Windowsphone.
I noticed that my battery lost 50% in two hours and a quarter. On WP 8; it was 25 %. Have a nice WE.

Good news. I haven't had any issues in the past week or so. Fingers crossed...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad