Battery drain on 8.1 preview

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
One of the best things about my Ativ S was the battery life. I got it in January and it updated to update 3 (why do people incorrectly call this GDR3 by the way?) straight away and I could easily get through the day and be left with 20-30℅. I of course took the chance to get the 8.1 preview as soon as it became available and I am really enjoying experience as it gives me many of the features I was missing from Android. But the battery life was utter crap. I was losing about 7℅ an hour doing nothing and the phone would need a charge by 6pm at the latest.

So what to do? I couldn't be bothered going back to to 8 as even though it is simple enough I would be frustrated without the 8.1 goodness. Anyway I have stopped the battery drain. After factory resetting didn't work I pondered what to do. I ended up switching off the email sync for my two gmail accounts and my MS account. I never used the built in apps as I prefer MetroMail. Now I have good battery life again. My phone has been on for 8 hours and the battery is sitting at 78% so I am a happy WP man again. I no this isn't the answer for everyone using 8.1 but it might help some.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
you can call them update 3 or GDR (General Distribution Release ) which includes bug fixes and new features in the same OS (windows phone 8) , many people are having battery issues due to lack of proper firmware, Samsung hasn't released windows phone 8.1+firmware update (which includes proper new drivers for your device+bug fixes here are there )

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
a simple an easy battery life fix while using 8.1 dev preview is to switch off your data connection... yes that would seem an obvious thing to do, it stops the phone connecting to the various app data flows we all have installed thus using less power but here is the crux, the phone or software should be able to manage that data flow better, in 8.1 the dev preview has not been optimized properly for this so sucking battery life, grab the Microsoft Cellular Data app for the store and use it to switch off your data connection easily, turn it on only when you need it, i do this now on my Lumia720, i turn on data 3 x a day when not on wifi just to grab emails and check im messages or to get updates on the WPCentral app the battery life is double compared to leaving Cell data on 24/7
No doubt when the official 8.1 rolls out with the firmware updates Data flow will be managed better

JRBLAS17

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same thing on my 1520. I keep the battery saver always on, I set my screen to medium, and I disable Wi-Fi and data when they're not in use. I could last 2 days regularly, but since this last update my phone constantly drains. My phone has been off the charger for 8 hours, I haven't touched it, and I'm down to 23%. Wtf

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs