Is the music app really that bad?

Neil Katz

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
It's working for me. I understand that this is still in preview mode - I am able to stream albums and they play fine most of the time. The only problem seems to be if I have Wi-Fi turned on and I am on a train which is going in and out of Wi-Fi zones, there seems to be some skipping as I exit the Wi-Fi account. Whether this is the fault of the music app or the Wi-Fi, I can't say. I did try the old app, but had severse crashing problems on my Lumia 521 - the screen would go black and the only way I could start the phone was to remove the battery and reinsert it. After the restart, the SD card where I store my apps had to go through a reinitialization process. Needless to say, I uninstalled this in favor of the newer, if imperfect, Music app.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Another bug, for me, is that streaming music takes precedence over local music. It took several attempts to turn off "Show streaming music in my collection". I finally got it turned off, by setting to "off", THEN rebooting the phone.

I hate the new interface, so I re-enabled the old interface of "Music Hub Tile", and made sure that again Streaming music is off. But using this app, streaming music is back as taking precedence over local music.

It took me awhile to try to figure out why when I shuffle my music collection, that sometimes a song would stop mid way through, then go to the next song. I kept thinking that some how my music files were corrupted. Several hard reset's, reformatting my sdCard, re-syncing (with various methods), etc., didn't help. Finally I noticed the stupid streaming icon was showing on songs that were skipping. Aaaaarrrggghhhh!!!

If were a programmer, I would be sitting down right now and writing my own music player app that was just for playing locally stored files, screw streaming music from Xbox.

Nomad1055

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes the main issue for me is that its so slow for unknown reasons and also it doesn't display album art but then again i mainly use Nokia mix radio now anyways.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
The music player itself is not that bad. The UI is similar to WP 8.0 and I like the back and forward buttons being on the bottom.

However, it is unoptimized and will lag when you open it as it looks for new content. I also notice it lags more on my 520 than it does on my 920, so it is certainly unoptimized for lower end devices.

Personally, it is by no means a dealbreaker and is more than usable. Microsoft just need to optimize it more or have the option to manually check for new media rather than doing it on every startup of the app.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The music app is semi useless because of how unoptimized it is. The metadata isn't really up to scratch and there are some features in 8.0 that got removed that on a personal level, takes away from the experience.

However, it has some serious potential to be nice. I thought 8.0 was a step down from 7.8, personally...but if once 8.1 goes official the loading times get optimized and metadata reading improves, it'll be worth it. They really need to add better audio support and an good stock equalizer.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
But is the app at least slightly on par with the music app I currently have with 8.0? I just don't want to upgrade to windows 8.1 to find that the music app is so bad I'm crying that I upgraded.

The music app in 8.1 is very similar to the "preview" Xbox Music app that got released for 8.0 last December (Music | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States))

So if you want the 8.1 Music experience without upgrading your phone, install that app, and then imagine it crashing more often and being a lot slower. (But on the plus side, in 8.1 it can save to SD cards, which it couldn't do in 8.0 - so there's that.)

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The music app in 8.1 is very similar to the "preview" Xbox Music app that got released for 8.0 last December (Music | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States))

So if you want the 8.1 Music experience without upgrading your phone, install that app, and then imagine it crashing more often and being a lot slower. (But on the plus side, in 8.1 it can save to SD cards, which it couldn't do in 8.0 - so there's that.)
On my 920, there's no crashing. And it is slow, but it's still way faster (after the update last week) than the old preview Xbox music on wp8.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
why couldn't they just port the player from the Zune32HD - that worked pretty much flawlessly .. In fact, I'm almost tempted to bring mine out of retirement and use that instead of the alpha code that is currently installed on my phone .. hopefully they fix this

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The music app works just fine now. It's still in beta but I've had no problems with it. People here just like to cry and complain because the hub nobody used is gone. They also like to compare every music app to some zune thing. If zune was so great it would still be around.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
The music app works just fine now. It's still in beta but I've had no problems with it. People here just like to cry and complain because the hub nobody used is gone. They also like to compare every music app to some zune thing. If zune was so great it would still be around.

Umm...my music app won't stay open for more than 5 seconds before it crashes.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
just this afternoon i've had issues where i remove all the files (including hidden ones after several phone reboots) from the device using explorer and it STILL reckons it's got stuff on the phone somehow!! I had to delete them from the phone app to clear it.

i'm also not entirely clear onto how to get songs onto the phone that are not available / wont't match on xbox music. do I just drag/drop them to the phone manually using explorer?

Stephen Pedersen

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Every day I have problems with it. It crashes, it freezes, it slows down, it tells me I cant play my music right now. Glad your experience is nice though! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786