Leave WP8.1 for Pureview?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
What makes you think that there will be another OEM with PV ? I thought Microsoft bought the imaging division and everything with it.

It works fine :)

aah symbian!! i still have a bunch of them as well
those were the days!!
no os will ever take its place
my symbians still boot up etc and work fine as well :)

Marty Larsson

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What makes you think that there will be another OEM with PV ? I thought Microsoft bought the imaging division and everything with it.

It works fine :)

It was just a general question to see if this ever did happen which it probably won't will not anytime soon that's for sure, would it have active WP users wanting to switch or try it.

MrPhilicorda

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Pureview is not one specific technology, it's just a tag Nokia puts on their top of the line camera phones. For example, on the 808 and 1020 'Pureview' was referring to the oversampling technology that suqeezes 40 mpx into an image of only 5 mpx. On the 920 it referred to optical image stabilization.

These are technologies that other OEM's already are implementing, like with the Sony Xperia Z1 (oversampling) and HTC One (optical image stabilization).

Pureview is a registered trademark, so naturally no other OEM will ever make a "Pureview" camera phone. It doesn't mean that someday someone won't make a better camera phone than Nokia.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
the thing with someone making better camera tech then say the nokia 1020 and nokia 808 is in fact going to be very very hard without someone stepping on nokias toes as I cant remember the specific amount of patents surrounding the 808s tech but it was quite a few and nokia wasn't silly and put patents all over that ;-)

it would be interesting too see a device like the s5 with the camera of the 1020 but I am hoping the next 1020 will be like that anyways ...... as for windows I quite like it ...... I was getting drain on 8.1 no matter what I did but I hope with cyan and some bug fixes and app updates it will be much better ;-)

other manufacturers could step up I mentioned this in another thread ...... can you imagine the recently announced kzoom tweaked a bit ...... if Samsung got rid of the massive zoom lens and kept the thickness of the device I reckon they could almost get a rx100 type 1" sensor in there and a decent fast prime lens with no zoom ...... they could use the 1" sensor with some quality glass and fast bright prime lens with high mega pixel count for oversampling and zoom later like nokia do ...... they could call it the kzoom prime and its not like Samsung don't like having lots of options ...... now that would really make nokia and Microsoft step up their game

although the kzoom wont match the 1020/808 in quality and pureness it was good too see Samsung go against the gran and design a device that fitted the internals they wanted ....... ie they knew it was a camera centric phone and wanted zoom so they made it a bit thicker ...... nokia done the opposite ...... with the 1020 they knew they were building a camera phone yet gave into the need for a slim design ...... they made the sensor smaller then the 808 , removed nd filter , took away wireless charging , made the xenon flash smaller then the 808s , left the battery at 2000mah even though they knew the cpu would be taxed to the max when shooting photos ,...... it would be good too see nokia make 1 flagship like Samsung do with the s5 etc , then release a camera centric version so they aren't constrained by todays design language for flagship phones ;-)

as it is I love the pureview tech from the 808 and 1020 , it offers great quality and pureness , a very versatile camera in all conditions and the operating system is getting better and better so I don't think I would swap as long as nokia and Microsoft keep up the good work they have been doing so far but I do want to see a true 1020 successor and not a watered down version ;-)

to be honest ive had enough of flashing kernels , roms , finding apps that are draining battery with android and its nice to have a fresh funky o/s that's fast and fluid and has some options to make it your own and having a great camera with an xenon flash is the icing on the cake ;-)

Last edited:

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
There is a ring of about 50 specific patents around "pureview", what they are exactly I don't know, but I would imagine that it will hard to replicate the same exact thing unless you either license the tech (if its available), or use them without permission.

There aren't many ways to make a better camera phone other than using a bigger sensor, or using a completely different sensor technology which is not dependent on sensor size.

Considering that all OEMs are obsessed with thin phones, I don't see anyone going for a bigger sensor.. maybe Sony or Samsung, but it wont happen in the next 12-20 months.

As far as new sensor technology.. I have no idea. I know that Nokia patented a few graphene sensor concepts a few years back, but that doesn't mean anything..

aah symbian!! i still have a bunch of them as well
those were the days!!
no os will ever take its place
my symbians still boot up etc and work fine as well :)

I mean that it works perfectly fine as a smartphone.. it even has a fully functional music player.. imagine that..

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Nope. I jumped on to the WP wagon with a 928. I was tired of the inconsistencies of Android, and I didn't want to spend a crap load of money to move into the Apple ecosystem. I like the integration I have within the Microsoft ecosystem. The 20MP camera on my Icon is excellent, but it still pales when compared to my 20MP Canon EOS 6D full frame DSLR.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'll stick to my 925 until it dies. As someone said before, Pureview is only keeping me from getting a cheaper model, like 720. 720 with 8.7 OIS (or one of the newer 20MP) camera and I'm sold.

Marty Larsson

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll stick to my 925 until it dies. As someone said before, Pureview is only keeping me from getting a cheaper model, like 720. 720 with 8.7 OIS (or one of the newer 20MP) camera and I'm sold.

I'll be staying with my 925 until it runs out of juice as well, I might even buy another phone for the apps and use my 925 as my #1 phone until a WP that catches my eye comes out.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'll be staying with my 925 until it runs out of juice as well, I might even buy another phone for the apps and use my 925 as my #1 phone until a WP that catches my eye comes out.

I'm quite happy with available apps, I've found everything I need so far. Only thing missing is a decent and not overpriced IP camera viewer. Besides I have a Nexus 7 if I REALLY needed android for anything, but I really only use it to watch series on the bus.

Marty Larsson

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite happy with available apps, I've found everything I need so far. Only thing missing is a decent and not overpriced IP camera viewer. Besides I have a Nexus 7 if I REALLY needed android for anything, but I really only use it to watch series on the bus.

I have most apps I need on my 925 that I use and my friends use on their iPhones and android devices, but quality is alls that is lacking atm for me and just a few other little things they can do on their devices that I cant which in a sense are small issues but still need corrected.

My friends can be like have you got the update for new fb, snapchat app etc, download this new game or mention me on fb (yes I know we can do it already on the crappy Microsoft fb app) but its stuff like this I've to say WP hasn't got that etc etc. But I love it all the same because theirs stuff my 925 can do that their devices cant just be cool once all OS are evenly matched that choice will solely be down to what you like and prefer.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
There is a ring of about 50 specific patents around "pureview", what they are exactly I don't know, but I would imagine that it will hard to replicate the same exact thing unless you either license the tech (if its available), or use them without permission.

There aren't many ways to make a better camera phone other than using a bigger sensor, or using a completely different sensor technology which is not dependent on sensor size.

Considering that all OEMs are obsessed with thin phones, I don't see anyone going for a bigger sensor.. maybe Sony or Samsung, but it wont happen in the next 12-20 months.

As far as new sensor technology.. I have no idea. I know that Nokia patented a few graphene sensor concepts a few years back, but that doesn't mean anything..

I mean that it works perfectly fine as a smartphone.. it even has a fully functional music player.. imagine that..

ikr , the music player in symbian s60 and even s40(xpressmusic series) is still one of the best ive used

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb