Windows Phone 8.1 DP IS Final/RTM OS. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I really just want to be clear about that.

WP8.1 DP is exactly the same, IDENTICAL, OS build shipped to OEM (Version #: 8.10.12359.845).
Lumia 930 and 630 will have this OS build when shipped + Nokia Cyan Firmware bundled with it.

All other phones, like those we're currently using with DP installed, have only the latest OS (8.10.12359.845) WITHOUT Nokya Cyan Firmware.
This one will be naturally available when it will be ready for our phones (as well as Carriers customization), and it will naturally install ON TOP of your DP, like a regular software update.
All other Apps (both bundled and third parties) will be naturally and normaly updated via WP Store.

What you're using is NOT Beta software.
You have the Official 8.1, but only still waiting for some extra, third party software, to download on top of it.

Here's some confirmation:

Windows Phone 8.1 is a free update for all Windows Phone 8 handsets. Anyone can get it, and while the general public availability will vary by device and carrier, Microsoft expects this process to happen in force by the summer.

Don't want to wait? Anyone who has signed up for the Windows Phone developer program?including the free version?can get the final version of Windows Phone 8.1 right now, for free. All that's missing are whatever carrier and handset maker updates that may be added in the future, and you can always get those whenever Windows Phone 8.1 heads out publicly over the course of this year. Read Get Windows Phone 8.1 as Soon as Possible for more information.

Link: http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-81-review

It's "only" Windows Phone 8.1. The version of Windows Phone 8.1 you will get from the developer preview is "final," but it does not include any device firmware or driver updates that will accompany the future, public releases of his update on specific handsets. Also, Microsoft typically delivers small post-RTM updates that handset makers include with their phones; this release does not include any of that.
Even if there will be some small OS updates, those will come ON TOP of the RTM, and not replacing it with another "Final Build" of the OS.
You ALREADY HAVE the Final OS with DP.
Link: http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/get-windows-phone-81-soon-possible

Hope that this will clear up all the confusion about that.
Most of bugs or problems you may have with DP can be automatically fixed with an Hard Reset (without restoring the old Backup) after the upgrade from 8.0.
All the others will be fixed with the updated Firmware it will arrive for your phone (when ready) and/or with updated 8.1 Apps from WP Store (when available too).

So, enjoy your DP, and Have a nice day!

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone 8.1 DP IS RTM/Final OS. Period.

and what did joe said........
Joe said it IS NOT FINAL, and that's not entirely true, and he led to new confusion.
The OS is, in fact, DONE.
It only misses some extra software on top of it that is still in development/certification, but that will naturally arrive and install on top of it when ready. And I reapeat: added to it, and not REPLACING it with a new RTM/Final.

DP IS the RTM/Final.

So my advice is: just stick with DP, and don't worry about it anymore -> Dp is only a way to update your phone faster, bypassing Carriers long-term approvals...and of course enabling Devs to test their apps as fast as true Microsoft Release cycle.

And, please, nuke every person who call DP a "Beta" from now on :grin:

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

He did say exactly the same in the AMA.

Exactly. He said that Win 8.1 isn't done, but then followed that up by saying that device-specific firmware was coming. So, it's true. The Win 8.1 experience we have isn't complete, but the OS we're running is.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think the state of the developer previews is best communicated by saying:

• Developer previews are not beta software.
  • The state of the developer preview is intended to be final.
  • If MS were to discover any fatal flaws they could decide to make very small, localized, under-the-hood changes, but these are very unlikely to impact any user facing features.
  • The OS being final doesn't mean your device will work as intended. Only after the OEM firmware is added. Only after the separated apps are updated and made available (Xbox Music, Video, etc.). Only after the backend services that are accessed through WP are updated and perfectly matched (Cortana). Only then will the entire package really be final and work as intended.

I wrote about this in more detail a while ago here.

Although I understand what you are trying to do OP, I think it's hopeless.

Almost all the issues people experienced with the developer preview can be traced back to something that is not part of the OS. Either an app that is not part of the OS (i.e. Xbox Music), a backend service that is not part of the OS (i.e. Cortana), or to the firmware that is not part of the OS (i.e. installation issues, dark/black camara pictures, random battery drain, missing USB settings, etc). Add to this MS' inconsistent communications, and you'll get the confusion we've seen here at WPC. I don't think any post here at WPC can un-confuse this mess.

Anyway, for many it might actually be better to think of the WP8.1 developer preview as being "in beta", despite that being technically incorrect. The OS may be final, but attempting to explain how the OS can be final but still not work correctly is likely to raise even more questions than it can answer. It's easier to just say: "yeah, it's in beta", as that can quickly convey to people how they should set their expectations. I suspect this is what MS was doing.

Last edited:

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
In the Windows world RTM is followed by GA or general availability. Since Windows 7 MS has always released updates at GA to address things that weren't quite right in the RTM version. Win 8, Win 8.1, even the latest 8.1 update did this. MS has to get something into the hands of the OEM partners. This something is called RTM.

For those of us using the DP I would expect the firmware for the device and these other updates to come from the carrier. We may even get the MS updates before we get the firmware.

It is not Beta, but will receive a few tweaks as a separate update.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Joe said it IS NOT FINAL, and that's not entirely true, and he led to new confusion.
The OS is, in fact, DONE.
It only misses some extra software on top of it that is still in development/certification, but that will naturally arrive and install on top of it when ready. And I reapeat: added to it, and not REPLACING it with a new RTM/Final.

DP IS the RTM/Final.

So my advice is: just stick with DP, and don't worry about it anymore -> Dp is only a way to update your phone faster, bypassing Carriers long-term approvals...and of course enabling Devs to test their apps as fast as true Microsoft Release cycle.

And, please, nuke every person who call DP a "Beta" from now on :grin:

Ok, sure it's a final but, when it's shipped to phones it's going to have the final and then GDR1 (for 8.1) included... So, yea, it's final but, I am sure they are going to address the assorted bugs that people are having issues with...and release GDR1 right away.

So your kind of right.... It is the final but, it will be shipped with GDR1....LOL

Because, it is needed...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
In the Windows world RTM is followed by GA or general availability. Since Windows 7 MS has always released updates at GA to address things that weren't quite right in the RTM version. Win 8, Win 8.1, even the latest 8.1 update did this. MS has to get something into the hands of the OEM partners. This something is called RTM.

As far as updates are concerned, the Windows and Windows Phone worlds are so different that comparing the two provides few valuable insights into WP. MS can easily create patches for Windows after RTM'ing (which denotes a software version) and deliver those updates after GA (which denotes a point in time). That is far more difficult to do for WP.

For those of us using the DP I would expect the firmware for the device and these other updates to come from the carrier. We may even get the MS updates before we get the firmware.

Software updates never come from the carrier. Carriers provide nothing but the "tubes" through which updates are transported from OEM's or MS' servers to our devices. The only important role carriers have is signing off on a device/OS combination.

It is not Beta, but will receive a few tweaks as a separate update.
So your kind of right.... It is the final but, it will be shipped with GDR1....LOL

I think these are good points! I don't know anything about GDR1 for WP8.1, nor how quickly it will be released. However, I do know that MS would much prefer to fast-track GDR1 (if necessary) than to make changes to WP8.1. Any changes MS makes to WP8.1 would require that they restart the entire testing/validation process with OEMs and carriers, which would likely delay the official rollout by weeks if not months.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I really just want to be clear about that.

WP8.1 DP is exactly the same, IDENTICAL, OS build shipped to OEM (Version #: 8.10.12359.845).
Lumia 930 and 630 will have this OS build when shipped + Nokia Cyan Firmware bundled with it.

All other phones, like those we're currently using with DP installed, have only the latest OS (8.10.12359.845) WITHOUT Nokya Cyan Firmware.
This one will be naturally available when it will be ready for our phones (as well as Carriers customization), and it will naturally install ON TOP of your DP, like a regular software update.
All other Apps (both bundled and third parties) will be naturally and normaly updated via WP Store.

What you're using is NOT Beta software.
You have the Official 8.1, but only still waiting for some extra, third party software, to download on top of it.

Here's some confirmation:

Link: http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-81-review

Even if there will be some small OS updates, those will come ON TOP of the RTM, and not replacing it with another "Final Build" of the OS.
You ALREADY HAVE the Final OS with DP.
Link: http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/get-windows-phone-81-soon-possible

Hope that this will clear up all the confusion about that.
Most of bugs or problems you may have with DP can be automatically fixed with an Hard Reset (without restoring the old Backup) after the upgrade from 8.0.
All the others will be fixed with the updated Firmware it will arrive for your phone (when ready) and/or with updated 8.1 Apps from WP Store (when available too).

So, enjoy your DP, and Have a nice day!

Nope, and it's spelt Nokia, not Nokya. ;)

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Ref: Zulfigar,
Interesting fact: "Spelled", is the past tense of "spell" not the wheat "spelt".
Just, for your information, in the USA.

Last edited:

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
honestly there are no major bug from what I can see since installing it from day 1, if any they'll fix it in update 1 update 2 and so on. It's a great program love developer preview

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The developer preview is feature-locked. It would be foolish to say something is a final build, because there will still be bug fixes. Any new features will have to wait for Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1.

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeap, most of bugs or problems that I used to have it with DP was fixed flashing WP8.0 Black Firmware and installing WP8.1 (WITHOUT restoring the old Backup or any app's).

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This thread is a TOTAL fail. Even Joe Belfiore said and I will QUOTE, that the Developer preview is NOT final.. I personally stand corrected on this. Look it up if you need to see directly from Joe's keyboard. With this being said, the feature set on 8.1 IS locked, no new features will come but, there will be bug fixes. So, it's not really the "final" as people are thinking.....and this is a good thing...

This is from the AMA that Joe did....
Hi, I'm Joe Belfiore from the Windows Phone Team.. AMA! : windowsphone

[–]joebelfioreVP, Lead Windows Phone Team 105 points 3 days ago

Developer preview is NOT final.. there's client-side software fixes we're still making, when UPDATES go out to existing phones they will come with "BSP" (low-level phone firmware) updates from the OEMs... and the Services (cortana) are continuallyl getting improved. SO.. when you get an official update or buy a new phone, it'll be more polished than what you folks have now.

In terms of timing... no specific dates to mention, and keep in mind that the software updates will vary by phone and carrier. Do keep in mind our history last year with updates to get a sense of how we think about this.

In terms of the specific issues you hit -- the dev preview has gone very well from our POV, with hundreds of thousands of "devs" having downloaded it so far (smile), and we’ve been closely monitoring feedback on the platform, features like Cortana, action center, etc.

And since you mentioned this, it's a good opportunity to mention our uservoice site –windowsphone.uservoice.com. The team uses this site A TON to help structure and prioritize feedback on what customers want to see in the product. yes, I read it myself and I FREQUENTLY send links to people on the team when I need help winning an argument. One of my favorite stories from a previous release about how we use uservoice was how you can now configure the button in the browser addressbar to do what you want – e.g. favorites or tabs. Everyone who voted on that feature, THANK YOU for making your voice heard.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
This thread is a TOTAL fail. Even Joe Belfiore said and I will QUOTE, that the Developer preview is NOT final.. I personally stand corrected on this. Look it up if you need to see directly from Joe's keyboard. With this being said, the feature set on 8.1 IS locked, no new features will come but, there will be bug fixes. So, it's not really the "final" as people are thinking.....and this is a good thing...

This is from the AMA that Joe did....
Hi, I'm Joe Belfiore from the Windows Phone Team.. AMA! : windowsphone

[–]joebelfioreVP, Lead Windows Phone Team 105 points 3 days ago

Developer preview is NOT final.. there's client-side software fixes we're still making, when UPDATES go out to existing phones they will come with "BSP" (low-level phone firmware) updates from the OEMs... and the Services (cortana) are continuallyl getting improved. SO.. when you get an official update or buy a new phone, it'll be more polished than what you folks have now.

In terms of timing... no specific dates to mention, and keep in mind that the software updates will vary by phone and carrier. Do keep in mind our history last year with updates to get a sense of how we think about this.

In terms of the specific issues you hit -- the dev preview has gone very well from our POV, with hundreds of thousands of "devs" having downloaded it so far (smile), and we’ve been closely monitoring feedback on the platform, features like Cortana, action center, etc.

And since you mentioned this, it's a good opportunity to mention our uservoice site –windowsphone.uservoice.com. The team uses this site A TON to help structure and prioritize feedback on what customers want to see in the product. yes, I read it myself and I FREQUENTLY send links to people on the team when I need help winning an argument. One of my favorite stories from a previous release about how we use uservoice was how you can now configure the button in the browser addressbar to do what you want – e.g. favorites or tabs. Everyone who voted on that feature, THANK YOU for making your voice heard.

See Reply #4 of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven