07-15-2014 05:20 AM
97 1234
tools
    Stop spying on your family, jeez! That's just pure creepy.
    Really none of your business.
    05-08-2014 01:12 AM
    3. youre not using a hero device - nokia 1020, icon, 1520 etc MotoG was done by Google as their signature product (sure not galaxy) but meant to be google built. the htc is more of a rehash / low spec after thought for windows phone than a genuine this is an all in windows device

I think youre review should factor in / be done with a few grains of salt.
    I always thought one of the advantages of WP was that it doesn't need high-end hardware to run well.
    05-08-2014 02:10 AM
    Some time after a certain place freezes over I would think. :-)
    neo158 likes this.
    05-08-2014 02:10 AM
    Hmmm....I can understand why WP is not popular in US and is in other countries. US people have very different needs and WP is definitely lacks in those areas. I live in India, I can tell what Indian users want and they can easily get almost all apps on WP. And now WP 8.1 is gonna have official file manager and VLC free(moli player does a good job), it's almost complete for most of us. Nokia already brought equalizer and we don't have Xbox music here, we have to download songs(streaming is not an option for many as we don't have cheap fast Mobile data connection) or copy/sync it from pc. Xbox music lacks a lot of good functions which music players on Android have e.g. Poweramp. I hope like moliplayer is possible on wp, poweramp is also gonna be developed for WP. Btw, who wants MXplayer ?? People here like to watch whole movies on the phone and so people like big screen phones, resolution doesn't matter. And that's why Galaxy Grand, Micromax, Xolo,etc have firm dominance. Nokia has a dedicated userbase here, it lost many but due to phones like Lumia 525, it might gain momentum here and with WP 8.1 having great additions like installing apps or moving apps on SD Card is actually very big feature. I hope WP would gain traction here day by day.
    Last edited by vish2801; 05-08-2014 at 05:25 AM.
    05-08-2014 05:13 AM
    Ya wp need bigger screen especially in india min 5 inches at price of 15000 or so .

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    05-08-2014 06:51 AM
    [*]Bible (YouVersion) - use this daily for devotion time with my wife and then weekly at Bible study and church services. Also use a home screen widget for the verse of the day.
    ...[*]My Disney Experience - as Disney World annual passholders and DVC members this is a really nice app to have. We use it to check hours, wait times, make reservations, etc.[*]Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest[/LIST]
    The biggest omissions I'm finding coming from an iPhone is a solid Bible app with a good translation and the Disney experience. I'm planning a trip to DW (which I frequently do) and that app is indispensable. Disney has other WP apps in the app store so I'm surprised we don't see that.

Overall I'm happy with the platform, the UI and the available apps with the noted exceptions.
    05-08-2014 07:43 AM
    The biggest omissions I'm finding coming from an iPhone is a solid Bible app with a good translation and the Disney experience. I'm planning a trip to DW (which I frequently do) and that app is indispensable.
    OK, you had me a bit there! I was trying to figure out where you found a Bible app with the Disney experience, even on iPhone! I can't help much with a Bible app on WP. I mostly use it on my tablets. I like Cadrebible, but as usual, it's only available for these:

capture.jpg
    05-08-2014 08:02 AM
    I always thought one of the advantages of WP was that it doesn't need high-end hardware to run well.
    That's very true.

If you look at the companies in play in WP, they have their own ecosystem of sorts right. Look at all the apps the Nokia brings to the table, even Samsung. HTC hasn't don't much at all. The OP mentioned having an app folder - nokia / Samsung built those (and updated even some other apps). HTC has done little in terms of the platform recently.
    05-08-2014 08:43 AM
    any music bought from iTunes is basically gone
    No it's not... you just have to put some effort into getting it out of iTunes.
    05-08-2014 09:00 AM
    For a shopping list app, I really like Easy Shopping which was developed by a WPC member.

My WP8 HTC 8X is my first ever smart phone; I've had it almost a year. I love the interface, a little frustrated by the lack of apps. I even started a thread about it. About a year from now I'll be in the market for a new phone and I'll re-evaluate app availability; I may try Android if the app environment for WP still hasn't fleshed out better.
    05-08-2014 09:52 AM
    REmember to download Lockmix.
    You can have a daily Bible passage on your lockscreen with this app
    ​Thanks, I'll check that out.
    meddyrainzo likes this.
    05-08-2014 10:26 AM
    Good thread. I use three platforms, android, iOS and WP. I would consider me an android user since that is what I use the most.

I bought a lumia 925 for the camera and it really trounces my moto x and nexus 5. Although I love the pictures I did not really use my lumia much except for the weekends when I take most pictures.

After I downloaded the Dev preview 8.1, I committed to 2 weeks using my Lumia 925 and came away impressed. The only apps I really missed were Southwest airlines and Marriott since I travel for work. The radios on the lumia are excellent. The battery life is better than my Nexus 5. In fact, I put my Nexus 5 up for sale since I do not anticipate it getting much screen time going forward. While I use several Google apps, I can get by without most except gmail. Google now is cool but I can do without it. I use Google play but use cloudmuzik and have been able to find decent alternatives.

One area of disappointment was no new devices to buy after build and my 925 having 16gb of storage and no SD card.

I like the live tiles, notification center, cortana and I use one drive for my WP and android.

Of course my moto x is still my favorite because of the touchless controls. Rumor is that the moto x+1 is coming so I will wait to check that out later this summer. But I have to say WP has grown on me and I think it has a bright future I'd msft does not totally screw up Nokia devices.

Sent from my Moto X!
    cckgz4 likes this.
    05-08-2014 11:24 AM
    So I am a couple of days in to using WP full time I thought I'd give an update on how things are going. So far results are a little mixed, but mostly positive. I've found fantastic apps in some cases and I'm still searching for solutions in others.

• NewsBlur - using NewsSpot. This is an awesome app that flies.
    • Google Hangouts - a miss so far. Still testing a few G Talk apps.
    • Bible (YouVersion) - this appears to be a dead app. Missing lots of features and no updates in 14 months. Will need to explore other options.
    • Pocket Casts - A big win. I've setup Podcast Lounge and it's been meeting my needs so far (minus variable playback speed).
    • Google Play Music - CloudMuzik *seems* to fill this gap. Will know after more usage. Nokia Music would help here, I think, but isn't available on my 8X.
    • White Noise - Sleep seems every bit as good as White Noise.
    • My Disney Experience - downloaded Disney Expedition as recommended. Will try to run over to Disney this weekend to try it out.
    • Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest - the Facebook app is horrible. Found no alternative. Using 6tag and pin.it and both are excellent. Easily as good or better than official apps.

So, all that said, I am enjoying this experiment so far. I've spent less than $15 on apps and have already met many of my needs.

I also went to the VZW store and played around with a Lumia Icon last night. I tested how quickly it launches apps and the quality of the display. Was pretty impressed.

Thanks for all (most - Draganta???) of the feedback. I definitely didn't expect so many responses.
    Laura Knotek and meddyrainzo like this.
    05-08-2014 11:48 AM
    So I am a couple of days in to using WP full time I thought I'd give an update on how things are going. So far results are a little mixed, but mostly positive. I've found fantastic apps in some cases and I'm still searching for solutions in others.

• NewsBlur - using NewsSpot. This is an awesome app that flies.
    • Google Hangouts - a miss so far. Still testing a few G Talk apps.
    • Bible (YouVersion) - this appears to be a dead app. Missing lots of features and no updates in 14 months. Will need to explore other options.
    • Pocket Casts - A big win. I've setup Podcast Lounge and it's been meeting my needs so far (minus variable playback speed).
    • Google Play Music - CloudMuzik *seems* to fill this gap. Will know after more usage. Nokia Music would help here, I think, but isn't available on my 8X.
    • White Noise - Sleep seems every bit as good as White Noise.
    • My Disney Experience - downloaded Disney Expedition as recommended. Will try to run over to Disney this weekend to try it out.
    • Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest - the Facebook app is horrible. Found no alternative. Using 6tag and pin.it and both are excellent. Easily as good or better than official apps.

So, all that said, I am enjoying this experiment so far. I've spent less than $15 on apps and have already met many of my needs.

I also went to the VZW store and played around with a Lumia Icon last night. I tested how quickly it launches apps and the quality of the display. Was pretty impressed.

Thanks for all (most - Draganta???) of the feedback. I definitely didn't expect so many responses.
    Check out "PocketBible Bible ..." for Windows Phone http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...8-30cabd5bdea9
    Miska Hietala likes this.
    05-08-2014 11:53 AM
    REmember to download Lockmix.
    You can have a daily Bible passage on your lockscreen with this app
    I must say that Lockmix is brilliant. Thank you for recommending it.
    Last edited by robnhl; 05-08-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
    meddyrainzo likes this.
    05-08-2014 12:20 PM
    In my family, wife uses iphone, kids android and I WP and Blackberry. It is hard to find location app to work on all 4. Finally we settled on Google + Locations. It works ok between android and iPhone, and for WP and Blackberry, I set up browsers to open desktop version of Google + and I can see their locations.
    Is there a way to background update your location on G+ from WP?
    05-08-2014 12:23 PM
    No it's not... you just have to put some effort into getting it out of iTunes.
    That's true. If you download and install the Windows Phone App for Desktop you can sync your WP with your iTunes library via a USB connection to your computer. When you run the app, if will automatically open iTunes and sync selected playlists and songs. Apple stopped encrypting the songs a few years ago. So any mp4 song you download from iTunes will play on your Windows Phone or even Android. You can also just copy the mp4s straight to your phone using Windows Explorer when connected to a computer via USB. Of course, you have to know where iTunes put them first...
    05-08-2014 01:10 PM
    I mus say that Lockmix is brilliant. Thank you for recommending it.
    I'm glad you like it!
    Happy you're enjoying your WP experience so far.
    05-08-2014 05:13 PM
    That's true. If you download and install the Windows Phone App for Desktop you can sync your WP with your iTunes library via a USB connection to your computer. When you run the app, if will automatically open iTunes and sync selected playlists and songs. Apple stopped encrypting the songs a few years ago. So any mp4 song you download from iTunes will play on your Windows Phone or even Android. You can also just copy the mp4s straight to your phone using Windows Explorer when connected to a computer via USB. Of course, you have to know where iTunes put them first...
    I haven't used iTunes in a long time but you can even move your iTunes library to an sd card or external hard drive.

Great video on how to move your iTunes library to sd card or new computer.

how to move itunes library to new computer - Bing Videos
    05-08-2014 07:09 PM
    Its an amazing thing. My wife and I have a "room" just for ourselves, we have a shared calendar, notes, pictures etc. Wish I could get more family members involved in it, it would be even more powerful.

The only way I know is to text the location through the message hub. There may be an app in the store kind of like google latitude. I have not needed this feature so I have not looked that close into it.
    Everything you said applies to me as well :)

WhatsApp also has the feature of sharing location if the one person you want to share your location with and you don't have a chat room with them.
    05-08-2014 10:33 PM
    I must say that Lockmix is brilliant. Thank you for recommending it.
    I love LockMix too. Granted, I'm trying to keep my screen as clean as possible so I only display notifications and a contact if phone was found.
    05-08-2014 10:35 PM
    By the way, one app I recommend using it is Here City Lens. In my opinion, the best app on WP.
    05-08-2014 10:37 PM
    By the way, one app I recommend using it is Here City Lens. In my opinion, the best app on WP.
    I don't believe this is available for my 8X, unfortunately.
    05-09-2014 05:25 AM
    I haven't used iTunes in a long time but you can even move your iTunes library to an sd card or external hard drive.

Great video on how to move your iTunes library to sd card or new computer.

how to move itunes library to new computer - Bing Videos
    Yep. I have all of my music and movies on a 3TB NAS. My iTunes connects to that. I still have an iPod Classic (160GB) and a 4GB iPod Touch, so that is why I still use iTunes. Anybody here old enough to remember Music Match? It was a serious iTunes contender until Yahoo bought it and screwed it up, like they did everything else. *sigh*
    dgr_874 likes this.
    05-09-2014 06:20 PM
    I don't believe this is available for my 8X, unfortunately.
    That is correct it is a Nokia app and it was discontinued as a stand alone and incorporated into Here Maps.
    05-09-2014 06:22 PM
97 1234