I present to you the smartphone where the music player does not work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I have been a WP fan boy for long. But things like these make me sad.
I can handle ****ty music players but this is whole new level of low for WP.
Xbox music crashes and refuses to open.

http://1drv.ms/1g5FyU8

it's a preview and xbox music on it is a beta, you knew what you were signing up for.

There is an app in the store that allows you to get the old music player opened in 8.1, it's more stable. Get that while the devs get the 8.1 version up to scratch

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Also you could use Nokia MixRadio as a substitute, as I have been doing. The "old music player" app is an option too, however tapping on the playing song in the drop-down control menu when playing music from it opens the new (beta) Xbox music, which is inconvenient.

Pawlee

May 2, 2013
Visit site
On 8.1 I was using Nokia MixRadio… and now that I've rolled back to 8.0 (battery problems) I'm actually still using MixRadio.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
On 8.1 I was using Nokia MixRadio… and now that I've rolled back to 8.0 (battery problems) I'm actually still using MixRadio.

is it possible to roll-back?
anyway, cannot think of roll-back at all.
luckily, i use 720, with excellent battery backup. even though a small amount of battery back up is reduced, still happy with in a better situation.

Pawlee

May 2, 2013
Visit site
is it possible to roll-back?
anyway, cannot think of roll-back at all.
luckily, i use 720, with excellent battery backup. even though a small amount of battery back up is reduced, still happy with in a better situation.
Yeah on a PC there's a Nokia Software Updater and another one that I can't remember what it was called. From what I could see they both did the same kinda thing, but the Software updater didn't work whereas the other one did. Restored 8.0 fine. It's a bit of a pain but I'd rather wait till the official release, I've had my fill of 8.1 and it's great, but 8.0 was never a problem for me (I don't need a notification center that badly etc)

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
You can also re-enable the old Music+Videos app, its still there just hidden. Download it from the app store, its called "Music Hub Tile"

prakashe

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I am using mix radio. Its just that u wouldn't expect your default music player to do this.

I know it is in beta. But doesn't beta mean that it has only minor defects and not glaring ones?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Am I missing something? I have never used Xbox music, do you only get the benefit of Xbox music if you have an Xbox? I don't have an Xbox but I find the Nokia radio mix to be great.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, the whole point of the newer one was to remove it from the OS and make it a separate App. So guess what? You can manually reinstall it to try and fix errors...

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Works fine for me, and I can finally make a playlist using just the phone.
It's a crap shoot using 8.1 OS and 8.0 firmware. Different for every phone model and carrier.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Am I missing something? I have never used Xbox music, do you only get the benefit of Xbox music if you have an Xbox? I don't have an Xbox but I find the Nokia radio mix to be great.
Same here. I've never had an Xbox.. (PC gamer here!) in fact, the last game console I owned was a Super Nintendo if that tells you anything. I have been a gamer though.. on the PC since way back in the DOS days.

Nope, you're not missing anything. Except for an awkward service that tries to lure you into signing up for an "Xbox Music Pass" for $9.99 a month to be able to stream music (that you already own) to all your devices. I guess if one has an Xbox, it has it's perks though. A lot of Xbox users (360 and One) have purchased tons of music through the Xbox music service over the years, so the service and it's consumer base/ecosystem isn't going anywhere... kinda like iTunes and it's customer base; People have a bunch of money and time invested in their iTunes music collections. It makes sense that the Xbox music users want these apps, and want it to be an integrated part of Windows Phone (if only they could work out the kinks I hear), but that doesn't mean WE have to use it. There's always been other methods of obtaining music...

Some of us Windows Phone 8(8.1) users have huge collections of music that we'd like to listen to every now and then... Without getting involved in all that Xbox Music business.... thank god for Nokia Mix Radio!

Nokia Mix Radio (formerly Nokia Music) on the other hand is awesome! With NMR, you can play all your local music (mp3 files on your phone) and you can also create artist "mixes". By entering up to three artists, NMR will play music from your favorites and similar artists (think Pandora or iHeart radio) or for even more diverse mixes, you can have it do a "computer scan" on your PC, and let it find all your music files/folders and it'll generate mixes (which are downloadable for offline play) based on your entire collection. :D

The only thing I've been worried about really, is the Microsoft/Nokia acquisition, and what happens to Nokia Mix Radio. I really hope we get to keep it... Because with Microsoft and their pushing Xbox music, NMR's days may be numbered... :(

Oh and sorry for the long post (I'm highly caffeinated!) and I don't mean to hijack the op's thread... Just seemed relevant to me.

Long live NMR!!!

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I've never had an Xbox.. (PC gamer here!) in fact, the last game console I owned was a Super Nintendo if that tells you anything. I have been a gamer though.. on the PC since way back in the DOS days.

Nope, you're not missing anything. Except for an awkward service that tries to lure you into signing up for an "Xbox Music Pass" for $9.99 a month to be able to stream music (that you already own) to all your devices. I guess if one has an Xbox, it has it's perks though. A lot of Xbox users (360 and One) have purchased tons of music through the Xbox music service over the years, so the service and it's consumer base/ecosystem isn't going anywhere... kinda like iTunes and it's customer base; People have a bunch of money and time invested in their iTunes music collections. It makes sense that the Xbox music users want these apps, and want it to be an integrated part of Windows Phone (if only they could work out the kinks I hear), but that doesn't mean WE have to use it. There's always been other methods of obtaining music...

Some of us Windows Phone 8(8.1) users have huge collections of music that we'd like to listen to every now and then... Without getting involved in all that Xbox Music business.... thank god for Nokia Mix Radio!

Nokia Mix Radio (formerly Nokia Music) on the other hand is awesome! With NMR, you can play all your local music (mp3 files on your phone) and you can also create artist "mixes". By entering up to three artists, NMR will play music from your favorites and similar artists (think Pandora or iHeart radio) or for even more diverse mixes, you can have it do a "computer scan" on your PC, and let it find all your music files/folders and it'll generate mixes (which are downloadable for offline play) based on your entire collection. :D

The only thing I've been worried about really, is the Microsoft/Nokia acquisition, and what happens to Nokia Mix Radio. I really hope we get to keep it... Because with Microsoft and their pushing Xbox music, NMR's days may be numbered... :(

Oh and sorry for the long post (I'm highly caffeinated!) and I don't mean to hijack the op's thread... Just seemed relevant to me.

Long live NMR!!!
No this is wrong you can stream songs from your pc, that you OWN for free, but you can pay the $10 a month to stream any song and also download to your collection to listen w/o streaming and play artist radios and stuff, but idk why they don't just make it free like xbox music on the laptop and tablets. Edit: Forgot to say, in the radio playlists you make, if you choose artist radio it will play songs ONLY by that artist(that is a pretty good feature) and the other radio plays songs similar to what you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss