Contacts using lot of mobile data, please help!

gurabli

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 520, and I have updated it to WP 8.1. Now I have Data Sense (I did not have it until now, since my carrier Vodafone disabled it and forced me to use their own online app for checking data plan) and I can now see which application or part of the phone is using data and the type of it, is it wifi or mobile data.

I was shocked to see that Contacts was using around 70MB last month, and this is only from mobile data! But why? What is in Contacts using so much data at all and how can I limit, change or disable this, at least for the mobile data, it is not a problem when I'm on wifi.

I do not have FB, so it is not linked with FB. I have gmail set up for emails (but it is listed separately under Data Sense) and Hotlmail for contacts. That is all.

Please help me, I just need it for WhatsApp and Skype text messages while on mobile data, and I have 150MB/month, not much, but would be more then enough for the above two apps.

Pawlee

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Possibly it's backup / restoring backup from Onedrive for text messages / contact info in the first place. That seems a bit much, but then I've looked at mine and "People" (I'm back on 8.0) has 79 MB wifi data and 10 MB mobile data which I assume is from loading the backup. If it's the same next month be worried, otherwise I think that'll be the first and last you see of it… possibly worth keeping an eye on it though, and turn backups off if it's a concern.

gurabli

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your tip!
i have checked now, and I already have 4MB since yesterday evening. Wifi is less then 1MB. Should I try to disable text message/contacts backup? And I can do the backup manually once or twice a week?

Pawlee

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd give it a go… that's the only reason apart from facebook/twitter that I could see people/contacts using data.

gurabli

May 7, 2014
Visit site
It's still using quite a lot of data, both mobile and wifi. It is so strange that nobody knows what kind of data is this and what is the purpose of the communication? Especially if you look at the quantity of data transferred.

What do you have in your phone, what values for this?

The screenshot is in Hungarian, but is should be evident...

16697_wp_ss_20140508_0001.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster