Help with switching to a new phone and updating to WP 8.1

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello- my daughter currently has a Lumia 521 through T-mobile. It has been a good phone but she told me she wished she had a front camera and a flash. I ended up finding a new Lumia 810 for a good deal which has what she is missing and is similar to my 822 which I really like. I plan on giving it to her for her birthday. I know the 810 is EOL but I figured I would just register it and put WP 8.1 on it through the preview- that way it can get all the updates. She also has all her photos and music on a 32gb sdcard in her 521. I guess I have questions on how to do this whithout messing things up:

1. Can I just log onto her account when I get the 810 and it will transfer all her contacts, apps and text messages even though she is currently using the 521? I didn't know if you can have more than one phone use the same backups.

2. If I can do number one my next step was to just update the phone to the 8.1 preview- I already registred her account to get the preview. Currently is the dev preview still available?

3. Once I get the 8.1 preview installed what would be the best way to install the sd card from the 521. Could I just install the card and all the photos and music will just transfer over and be fine? or should I copy all the info from the scdard on a computer first and then put the card in the 810 and format it and then transfer the files to it form the computer? My concern is the duplicate file issue and I don't want to go through that again as we have a few times already with her 521.

Thanks for all your help

Scott

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Logging in should bring everything that syncs over without too much fuss.

The Dev Preview should still be available, I heard it was pulled for some models, but I haven't seen any official news regarding it.
Worth noting it may not show up just by searching in the Store.

If it were me, I'd just pull the SD from the 521 and throw it into the 810. voila!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea