Hard reset dev. 8.1 worked for me!

mofoliar

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I was having little tiff's, with dev. 8.1, like everyone else.. I did a hard reset and the bigger issues i was having were fixed!

-Bluetooth connecting to my uconnect 5.0 Ram Truck
-When i turn on my BT from my phone it would automatically connect to speaker and i could not hear anyone on my end..

how is everyone else, did a hard reset fix ur issues?

Lumia ICON

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I was having little tiff's, with dev. 8.1, like everyone else.. I did a hard reset and the bigger issues i was having were fixed!

I'm curious too as to your thoughts on the reboot process. Did the recover work smoothly? Notice any apps setup for backup already?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious too as to your thoughts on the reboot process. Did the recover work smoothly? Notice any apps setup for backup already?

You should NOT restore your phone after a hard reset. Download everything one by one, start fresh.

If your not prepared to lose your stuff and set it up as a new phone I would stay with 8.0 because you are going to run into trouble if you restore your phone from your old 8.0 setting.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Will6371. Question? Doesn't 8.1 have its own backup settings that as long as you have enabled should provide no problem restoring as it is using the wp8.1 backup system?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I was thinking on the lines of James. I agree, you shouldn't restore an WP8.0 save point onto your phone with WP8.1...but is there harm in restoring a WP8.1 data point also?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I was having some minor issues here and there when I first upgraded to 8.1 on my 1520. I made sure everything was backed up in 8.1 and performed a hard reset and restored from backup. I didn't have any major issues. A few apps had to manually reinstalled and I had to login again to all the apps that required login. At first I still had the unresponsive power button issue. However, after updating all the system apps like Glance and all and charging the phone a few times, the problem went away. I haven't had any problems with my phone in over a week now.
Starting fresh is always going to be most reliable solution. However, if you don't want to lose your stuff, I don't see any harm in trying to restore from backup first. In the worst case scenario, you can do another hard reset without restoring.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Will6371. Question? Doesn't 8.1 have its own backup settings that as long as you have enabled should provide no problem restoring as it is using the wp8.1 backup system?

Yes you shouldn't have any trouble restoring from a backup that was done after you installed 8.1

The way I done the 8.1 update was as follows.

Hard reset my phones while they were on 8.0

Downloaded the "Preview for Developers"

Installed 8.1

Another hard reset

Then I set up my phone as new, going to the store and downloading all the apps I previously had and at no point did I restore my phones.

To prepared for it I made a note of all my apps.

Also I found that WiFi sense was a battery killer so turn it off.

mikey2toes

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi 🙋 I did a hard reset last night and the phone seems more responsive and the battery seems better from the start but ill give it a few days. I gained back a lot of space that was being taken by system and the reset was from fresh and only took about an hour.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I've heard anecdotal evidence that doing a hard reset vastly improves battery life. A couple more anecdotes along those lines would start to resemble "data," so any more (or any evidence to the contrary) would be welcome. (Hard resetting & rebuilding from scratch will be a hassle, but worth it if it makes my battery last through the day.)

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I've heard anecdotal evidence that doing a hard reset vastly improves battery life. A couple more anecdotes along those lines would start to resemble "data," so any more (or any evidence to the contrary) would be welcome. (Hard resetting & rebuilding from scratch will be a hassle, but worth it if it makes my battery last through the day.)

Add me to the list of those getting better battery life after a hard reset. I have an Icon and I had the power button lag issue (WiFi only) start immediately after the 8.1 upgrade. After a week, I started seeing rapid, unexplained battery drain, i.e., 50%+ drain in a little over an hour while idle and no app reporting much usage. I was also experiencing frequent frozen start screens when it displays "loading...." for 30+ seconds or locked up all together. Reboots and soft resets didn't help. I did a hard reset with a fresh start last Fri and everything's been mostly good. On Monday I got a frozen screen and I had one instance of rapid battery drain. I did another soft reset and yesterday after reading a post in another thread, I turned off the brightness auto adjust setting and kept the level at low. I haven't seen any start screen issues or rapid battery drain since. It's only been 1+ day with light usage but my battery is currently sitting at 41% after 32 hours.

UPDATE: Probably jinxed myself. Later in the day I started getting the start screen lag/unresponsiveness issue again and the next day the rapid battery drain returned. I downgraded to 8 yesterday and I'm happy I can rely on my phone again.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Add me to the list as well. My 822 was running okay, but I had minor issues here and there. Just finished the hard reset and the phone seems quicker and smoother.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I think that most of the troubles that people have are from them either not doing a hard reset or doing a hard reset and the restoring from a backup.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I think that most of the troubles that people have are from them either not doing a hard reset or doing a hard reset and the restoring from a backup.
Yeah I agree about the backup. I've had good luck by not restoring a backup. All my texts, emails and contacts get restored once I sign in to my Outlook account. Then it's just reinstall my apps.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

-Bluetooth connecting to my uconnect 5.0 Ram Truck
-When i turn on my BT from my phone it would automatically connect to speaker and i could not hear anyone on my end..

how is everyone else, did a hard reset fix ur issues?

Lumia ICON

to be honest I always do a clean install and start from fresh not a back up after major update , I didn't get any major issues after doinga clean install , but after a few days it became apparent that my battery had taken a fair wack

I guess its because of the apps , some are ready for 8.1 , some aren't and I bet there are afew conflicts with apps not shutting down or running in the background etc and this is without the fact that its a dev edition and some things wont be tuned for specific devices yet

I did try all the battery saving tips but drain was still really bad on my 1020 , I went back to 8.0 and look forwards to the real deal with the cyan overlay and appreciate the opportunity from Microsoft to test the dev preview ;-)

mikey2toes

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
It looks like a clean reset is the way to go as my battery has improved by 50%. I was getting less then a day out of my battery but now I'm getting the full day with normal use also any bugs I had are gone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarianKlux