How to unlock a Windows Phone to any network?

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, apologies if this has been asked a thousand times.

I've just bought my girlfriend and my mother Lumia 520s (For just 50euros each, new!).

Looking to unlock them to other networks. Where's the best place to do that (ebay etc)? And how much do they generally cost?

Thanks.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
You need to call the network operator that it's locked to and asked for them to be unlocked. It's usually free if the contracts have run out.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You need to call the network operator that it's locked to and asked for them to be unlocked. It's usually free if the contracts have run out.

Nah, just bought them off contract, so it was only a 50 Euro flat fee for each. Here, you need to be with an operator for a certain period of time with a certain amount of credit bought before they will give you an unlock code on pre pay.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Nah, just bought them off contract, so it was only a 50 Euro flat fee for each. Here, you need to be with an operator for a certain period of time with a certain amount of credit bought before they will give you an unlock code on pre pay.

Hate to say it, but it might have been cheaper to pay the higher price for the carrier you wanted them on, then for the price you paid plus the amount and time it'll take (if it even works) getting the unlock code.

I've seen the codes go from $10 (usd) to $50, and the time to get the code from an unlock source has been as long as 3 weeks before a successful code is obtained.

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Try cellunlocker.net. I bought a Lumia 1020 (Rogers in Canada) outright, and unlocked it for $8 through them. Took just under a day to get the code. They're probably the best 3rd party unlock service.

ea2099

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Pipe, I'm thinking of doing the same thing ...

I saw the 1020 for sale at BestBuy (on Rogers). I'd like to buy it outright and set it up on Bell. Where did you get yours? What carrier do you use?

How has it performed?

Thanks!

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Pipe, I'm thinking of doing the same thing ...

I saw the 1020 for sale at BestBuy (on Rogers). I'd like to buy it outright and set it up on Bell. Where did you get yours? What carrier do you use?

How has it performed?

Thanks!

Bought it directly from a Rogers store. Keep in mind they may give you some grief if you don't actually have a Rogers account, they may ask you to activate it with them on prepaid or something (which you can always cancel after a month). My wife has her phone through Rogers so just told them it was going to be used for that, to minimize questions. Got it home, spent the $8 to unlock, now using it on sasktel. Works perfect, all functions work including tethering and mms, just needed to install access point app to configure.

ea2099

May 22, 2014
Visit site
That's good news. I'm going to buy the one at BestBuy and unlock it. Where did you go for $8? Everything else I am seeing is $30-$50 ...

Appreciate the feedback.

pipe7

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked at cellunlocker.net. Didn't show me the price til I entered in the IMEI etc. Price tends to differ depending on phone, carrier it's locked to, etc. I was surprised it was so cheap though. Good luck!

rockers12

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, apologies if this has been asked a thousand times.

I've just bought my girlfriend and my mother Lumia 520s (For just 50euros each, new!).

Looking to unlock them to other networks. Where's the best place to do that (ebay etc)? And how much do they generally cost?

Thanks.

Unlocking cost may differ from one provider to another . To unlcok your Nokia Lumia 520, use unlock code . You can get it from any of the online vendors like TheUnlockSpot.com to unlock it .

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know how much unlocking a 520 is? It's att.
Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

The process is extremely easy. Put the "other" sim card in, it'll ask you for a code. Now is where it gets difficult. You either need to contact the carrier that the phone is from, or pay for an unlocking service. If you read this thread, you'll see that they range from $8 to $40 to get that code.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster