How to solve the WP circle of DOOM?

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
So it seems to me that the number one problem WP is facing and has faced is Apps according to the view of the general populace. And the circle of doom is that in order for WP to gain marketshare it needs more apps from more of the main developers and yet said developers choose not to make a WP app because of lack of market share.

So you need marketshare to get the apps make which won't get made because you don't have a profitable enough marketshare.

Ideas?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So it seems to me that the number one problem WP is facing and has faced is Apps according to the view of the general populace. And the circle of doom is that in order for WP to gain marketshare it needs more apps from more of the main developers and yet said developers choose not to make a WP app because of lack of market share.

So you need marketshare to get the apps make which won't get made because you don't have a profitable enough marketshare.

Ideas?

Well, I think it's looking optimistic. We have a larger percentage of big apps as compared to marketshare. Right, like marketshare worldwide for WP is probably around 5%? But Windows Phone has a lot more than 5% of the apps available on Android or iOS. It's something 30%. And if you count big name apps, it's maybe larger than 80%. So I don't think the number of apps is really that big of an issue anymore. Quality of apps? Maybe that's another story haha

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
With a BFG9000 to obliterate the competition?

Real, none DOOM related answer: I guess if a 3rd party app is good enough then a big-name dev might be more interested - example being 6tinder by WP's hero Rudy Huyn. No official Tinder app so he decided to write one which was very well received, so much so the official guys told him to pull it from the store. Now they are on-side with him in brining Tinder to the WP system officially.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Money; that's it. Lots and lots of money. $Billions. Microsoft needs to pour untold millions into marketing and co-promotion with wireless partners (i.e. directly subsidize carriers and their salespeople to encourage them to promote WP). Millions more into marketing to consumers. Millions more directly to developers to encourage them to port apps to WP (and to hire Microsoft dev's to partner with 3rd parties to help port apps). They should also be spending millions to create new developers. Identify kids who have an interest in programming; give them free tools and free training. Let them grow up as Windows/Phone enthusiasts and proselytizers.

More immediately, I think they need to simplify their device portfolio. No more 5/6/7/8/9/10 series; no more carrier variants. Make three or four phones to target the most important consumer segments. Cut deals with AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc. to ensure carriage. Reduced assortment makes it easier to meet demand and have bigger, faster launches; to make production more efficient over time; to simplify and concentrate marketing and R&D. It also makes it easier for 3rd party accessory makers to develop an ecosystem around the platform. So when a consumer walks into a wireless carrier or an electronics store they're more likely to see a larger selection of accessories for their device. This is not possible when you have to support 10 devices.

SammUL

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I think MS do fairly well penetrating the market, surely it takes time but they are big enough to do it. Years ago there were 2 console makers, Nintendo and Sony, MS decided they want in on the console world and made "XBOX".. years later it is just as popular as the other two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium