Newbie Thoughts on WP 8.1/lumia 1520

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, so I've had my Nokia Lumia 1520 for a couple days now and for the most part I like it but I'm not completely sold on the WP experience. I've always been an iPhone user but I haven't updated because I feel Apple hasn't made a phone to give the features I want in years.

Upgrading from an iPhone 4s to a Lumia 1520 is a world of a difference. My 4s wasn't even close to being as powerful. And the screen size and SD card capability is awesome. I do wish I could open the SD card without a pin though. I also hate that my headphone options are now very limited. From my understanding Apple doesn't use the standard but with so many manufacturers working on iPhone the standard should just change. The playback controls don't even seem to respond with my car's Bluetooth! Live tiles kick regular icons ****. I wish I could choose which ones are transparent without a third party app but that's a small gripe.

I did a lot of online research and Windows phone seemed like the OS for me. I produce music with a partner and we both feel that OneDrive is the best cloud service for us. Having it integrated seemed like a great idea but it doesn't work like I expected. IOS does not have a file manager so I'm forced to use crappy third party apps for the duty that often crash. I understand Windows phone 8.1 doesn't have a file manager yet but I was very surprised to see no option to open files in other apps like ios has.

My vices is the lack of polish on WP. It's so powerful and completely non intuitive at the same time. There are times when I have to click the ellipsis to bring up more options even though the bar had plenty space for those options to display. The settings are great with plenty options but I'm baffled as to why they're not in alphabetical order and why not merge subcategories eg. display, lock screen and theme. IE 11 is terrible. There are dozens of faults I've found with it. The search bar acts more like an address bar and less like a search bar which is annoying. No scrubbing for video playback. And it loads Google's mobile site without all of the options. The bar that displays battery, time, Wi-Fi etc... Hides in apps and some screens. It would be nice to know the status of my phone at all times. When the phone proximity sensor is covered during a phone call it goes bad to the phone app. Which is annoying as I may still want to do things in another app. Things like these are just a few examples of what make the user experience less enjoyable. Is there a place I can go to give Microsoft feedback? Do you think the official WP 8.1 will fix these things? Am i just too noob and doing it wrong? Should I just return my Lumia and wait until more kinks are worked out with the OS? Maybe its just not ready just yet for me.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
There are some things you did slightly wrong. To see the status (battery, date, what connectivity are on) you can slide down from the top to bring down the action center where you can see your notifs, quick action buttons, date, battery.
And scrubbing works fine for me on most sites. Some don't have the option.
When proximity sensor is covered during a call, the phone turns off the display and you can still use your phone for anything once you uncover the sensor.

As for the file manager, MS is working on it. May release next month.
Settings are arranged in the order in which most people would them with frequent settings at the top. Joe Belfiore discussed about it in his AMA on Reddit and was also thinking about a good solution which makes it easy for all (noobs and the acquainted people).
As for IE, it's bar is like google chrome's omnibar. It searches when you don't enter a suffix like .com etc and opens a web page if you enter an address.
And as for OneDrive, what were you expecting? I will see if it's possible.

MiKeii MyGang

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I've some problem with Some HTML5 In-line Video playback can't to open with full-screen on IE 11 windows phone 8.1
how to take it to full-screen
wp_ss_20140509_0001.png
wp_ss_20140509_0002.png

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I understand that I can pull that information up with action center. It just seem like that type of information shouldn't disappear at all. Why even hide the current status of the phone?

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
My problem is on my 1520 once the proximity sensor is covered and uncovered it defaults back to the phone app and closes out what ever app I had open causing me to have to switch back to what ever it is I was doing.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Using safari as an example, in safari if I decide to type in a search for lets say "Windows phone" it would then Google or Bing (depending on how I have it set up) for the results. The problem comes when I don't like the search results. So i decide I need to search specifically for "Windows phone 8.1". In IE I have to type out "Windows phone 8.1" the second time because the bar had defaulted to displaying the address of the search results when I touched it again to make that adjustment. The difference is in safari if I had touched the search bar it would default to my last search and I would only have to type in 8.1 to make the adjustment. IE bar seems to want to be address bar more than it wants to be a search bar.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
About the proximity sensor problem, I have no idea. Never ran into it. Will try to check for it though. And what you are telling me about Safari sounds lucrative, IMHO, it should have also been put in IE.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. I understand that I can pull that information up with action center. It just seem like that type of information shouldn't disappear at all. Why even hide the current status of the phone?

Why, even on Android, the current status of battery is hidden to users. And to show it, you'll need to apply a third-party tweak. Anyway, the type of data connection is never hidden.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Windowlino

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
About the proximity sensor problem, I have no idea. Never ran into it. Will try to check for it though. And what you are telling me about Safari sounds lucrative, IMHO, it should have also been put in IE.

I was wondering about the same issue quite some times. I always ended asking myself, if it's a big or intended. I often use my phone during a call and accidentally cover the proximity sensor and voila: I'm back at the calling window and have to search for my ago again...

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm just used to always seeing this information because of ios.

THat's fair and really good read on your OP. With a little more time, things will get better for you. It is so hard for me to go back to IOS... Even when I troubleshoot it, I am like wtf?! The more options, the more complex that is with any os... I am just not an android fan... Messy... Sold my last nexus and all IOS products.

I am WP and windows tablets. WP is nice, but like you said lacks polish... Good thing is that 8.1 shows that they are full speed ahead in the right direction. The updates are also going to come a lot faster ans feature packed. OneDrive is great among other services, but yeah I ran into some got yous too. In the past WP couldn't even open wave files... More and more apps are being allowed access to files now. I make and share music and things are getting there :)

Well, I am really tired. Welcome to WP, we/I am happy to see you are rational and thorough in your post. The community is really good and one of the best. Very little bashing and lots of informative.posts. You ask a question, it will be answered.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm just used to always seeing this information because of ios.

Oh yeah... I remember the things when i still had an iPhone 5 before... It made me very OC of battery life so I usually don't show the battery percentage in numbers..

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Well twice this week my phone shut off on me due to the battery and I can't help but think I wish I had this information shown to me without searching for it specifically.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss