The debate on: Removable battery vs non-removable battery

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the issue of removable vs. non-removable battery is a total waste of time because it does not represent a clear advantage over the other. This is by far a matter of choice a preference and I often see reviewers put a score against a device because it has non-removable battery. Its a joke to put it simply.

Removable battery
Pros
- Can replace battery by yourselves

Cons
- You still have to carry a separate battery if you want to have extra juice
- Your phone breaks apart when you accidentally drop it.
- Extra battery is expensive
- Frequent opening of back cover to replace a battery or to take it out temporarily specially if the phone hangs may cause battery contacts to loosen.

Non-removable battery
Pros
- Phone build is solid. Your phone wont explode to pieces when you accidentally drop it although it may suffer some dents just like any other device.
- No worries about battery contacts getting loose over time

Cons
- Cannot replace battery by yourselves so you have to bring it to a service center. Ah, but there is an alternative - powerbank. Buy a cheap powerbank to have that extra juice.

So these are my list so what's your preference?

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
My preference is removable battery ypu can get extra battery from e bay nd use it as spare.iam doing it for my lumia 820.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I think the removable battery thing was more important 5 or so years ago, even at that time i considered it a selling point. Nowadays, its not so much an issue anymore as ive used MANY phones, many old and used, and they still keep their charge well enough to not need to replace it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the removable battery thing was more important 5 or so years ago, even at that time i considered it a selling point. Nowadays, its not so much an issue anymore as ive used MANY phones, many old and used, and they still keep their charge well enough to not need to replace it.

My opinion, written by you! My first couple smartphones were not too stable (WM & early Androids) and it was nice to be able to pull the battery. At that time I couldn't imagine not having a removable battery. Now I use WP8 & Nexus devices, and I don't see an advantage to removable batteries.

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I see only advantages in having a removable battery:
  • Your phone suffers less from dropping; the battery is the heavy part and if the construction is right it will fall out when your phone hits the floor, so the rest of the Phone suffers less (tested several times with my Ativ S, no dents at all...).
  • With intensive Phone usage you have extra energy; you can buy a very cheap battery and keep it in your pocket, much cheaper and smaller than a powerbank.
  • It's always nice to have an extra reset possiblility by pulling the battery.
  • The battery is the part that wears out first, so you can prolong your phone's life easily.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the issue of removable vs. non-removable battery is a total waste of time because it does not represent a clear advantage over the other. This is by far a matter of choice a preference and I often see reviewers put a score against a device because it has non-removable battery. Its a joke to put it simply.

Removable battery
Pros
- Can replace battery by yourselves a big one, extends useful life.
- Can upgrade battery if one is available

Cons
- You still have to carry a separate battery if you want to have extra juice options my dear, in these devices, at least there is the possibility of upgrading to a higher-capacity replacement. Extra juice without bulk or addons like a powerbank.
- Your phone breaks apart when you accidentally drop it. see below
- Extra battery is expensive varies greatly. I picked up a Palm Pre 2 a couple years ago and the batteries were el cheapo online. OEM, and great condition too.
- Frequent opening of back cover to replace a battery or to take it out temporarily specially if the phone hangs may cause battery contacts to loosen. Who said people would replace it frequently? Some will, but its an option, whereas in a sealed phone you have no choice. Also, you can reset a hanged 820 the same way as with a hanged 920 with buttons. This can even be a pro

Non-removable battery
Pros
- Phone build is solid. Your phone wont explode to pieces when you accidentally drop it although it may suffer some dents just like any other device. But on the flip side, breaking apart means the force from the fall is dissipated somewhat.
- No worries about battery contacts getting loose over time ehhh, I feel this is unwarranted since Ive had old devices where the battery contacts have no issues.
- Space can be saved since the designers don't have to worry about contacts, extra shielding, protection for battery, and other stuff. The space can be put towards bells and whistles, higher capacity, and/or a slimmer device.

Cons
- Cannot replace battery by yourselves so you have to bring it to a service center. this is a big con, expensive too. DIY is possible, but less than great. Ah, but there is an alternative - powerbank. Buy a cheap powerbank to have that extra juice. As you said, this isn't great too because you still have to carry a separate battery if you want to have extra juice. and what if you keep it plugged in all the time in your pocket and such? Extra bulk attached to the phone, and unless its a case, it risks breaking the USB port. good ones often aren't cheap too. It varies just like spare batteries.

- Defective batteries mean you are more screwed.

My counterpoints are in bold. I would be more pro-removable, but I use a 920, soooo

SammyD_L625

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I really prefer a non-removable battery. The whole swapping batteries thing always seemed like an unnecessary hassle to me. Dropping my phone and having things go in a hundred different directions is another thing. Don't miss removable at all.

jj2me

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Removable battery
Pros

Cons
- Frequent opening of back cover to replace a battery or to take it out temporarily specially if the phone hangs may cause battery contacts to loosen.

Non-removable battery
Pros
- Phone build is solid. Your phone wont explode to pieces when you accidentally drop it although it may suffer some dents just like any other device.

Cons
- Cannot replace battery by yourselves so you have to bring it to a service center. Ah, but there is an alternative - powerbank. Buy a cheap powerbank to have that extra juice.

My gosh, that is tortured reasoning.

You could use a phone with a removable battery exactly like a phone with a non-removable battery.

As to your cons:

?? You don't *have to*. You could equally carry the same powerbank you'd carry with your non-removable-battery phone. This should be a pro: "Gives you the option to carry a smaller item (spare battery) for extra juice."

I've had nine phones with removable batteries and never had a phone crash apart. But more importantly I don't understand why that would even be a con until it can be shown that a solid structure would protect the phone's innards better than a collapsible structure. So not necessarily a con.

??

1. You don't have to buy an extra battery until you want or need one.
2. I bought 10 used Nokia 520 batteries on eBay for $22 shipped.
3. In the past four years, I've never paid more than $20 for a new battery.

1. You don't have to open the back cover until you need or want to.
2. More modern phones are having the power button work to reset the phone.
3. Not all battery contacts are like Nokia's pins. LG's, for example, are flat and recessed, which are nearly impossible for a user to damage without striking or picking at them with a metal tool of some sort.
4. These things are made to be user replaceable. *If you can't install the battery properly, then don't install it yourself!*

Here are my removable battery pros:
1. Much smaller spare power than carrying a battery booster.
2. Can carry days of power in the size of a deck of card (e.g., overnight hiking).
3. Can un-retire and reuse off-carrier phones for years after first battery dies. (Also saves battery on your *real* cell phone). Examples:
---- Media Player (real example for me), music, podcasts, audiobooks, and video offloaded from TiVo via V-Mate.
---- Dashcam, e.g., DailyRoads Voyager Android app (real example for me).
---- Auto diagnostics (OBD II) scanner, e.g., Torque Pro Android app (real example for me)
---- GPS with Nokia offline maps (future real example for me)
4. On some phones (real examples for me):
---- optional wireless charging back,
---- extended battery back.

And my removable battery cons:
1. The phone is probably slightly thicker than if the designer had the option to not provide a removable battery.
2. Some phones might squeak (my only such experience was with a Palm Centro, which is less likely to be applicable to modern phone design). Fixed with tape on the inside of the back.

If those pros give you no advantages, great.

I completely agree with this statement in your post:

This is by far a matter of choice a preference

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I use to think removable battery was better because I can change batter but since this 2081279308_1383185403.jpg I dont have a need for replacing battery.

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Con: Charging removable batteries. The whole swapping batteries at night to charge on the phone and keeping track of which one is charged and which one is not gets old. Can you imagine if you have three spare batteries?? I looked into a dedicated battery charger but then I would have extra stuff to carry around.

Now I have an external battery that I can charge at the same time as the phone (using the same charger) and even has a nifty LED charge indicator. On top of that, I can use this battery to charge other devices.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've owned 820s and 920s; I truly don't care one way or the other. Both approaches have pros, and both have cons.
I'm Switzerland. Heh.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
When I had my Samsung Focus, my battery began to crap out and would no longer hold through the day. I found a cheap battery to replace mine for like $5 on ebay and it got me through until my phone was up for replacement. Now, I have a 920 without a replaceable battery, but so far it's held out for me. And I have had that phone apart before, so replacing the battery isn't too difficult.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Removable battery
Pros
This is quite crucial with old phones or if your battery leaks. I bought old, used HTC desire to use as IP camera and the battery was blown, off to ebay and I got it working again.

Cons
It's still smaller than external batteries, and more efficient
Not if its built well :D joke aside, if your smarphone drops to the point of battery flying out, the screen is probably shattered as well
They're much cheaper then they used to be 10 years ago. You can even get them for 5? on ebay, and they work just as well
Thats true, I've had some piece of paper holding battery in place in all my phones with removable batteries

Non-removable battery
Pros
true that but as stated earlier, your screen will probably break anyway.
mhm

Cons
Already have a powerbank, but powerbank doesn't help once the battery is dead. The life of the battery is usually greater then how long we use our phones for though. I've had my last 3 for 1y6m (phone and battery still work), 1y11m (still works (phone and battery), and the current one I've had for 6m, but I'm not changing anytime soon

Honestly I don't really care, I kinda got used to built-in batteries, I've only got a new phone battery once so far, and that was because I got a faulty one when I got the (used) phone. About thickness, check out xperia arc s, super slim phone with removable battery, so it is doable. I find the 625 really weird, it has removable back cover, but not the battery. My nexus 7 battery is still the same as when it was new, and I've had it since November 2012. Once the battery will break, I'll try changing the battery myself using unofficial parts and guides and hope for the best, it's not like there's anything to lose with a dead device.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Removable battery advantage disappeared with those micro-USB portable chargers. They do the same thing, except you have this dongle hanging off your phone.

In both cases you have to carry it around everywhere. I think the USB charger would be more flexible as any of them work with any phone, as opposed to only a specific battery works with a specific phone.

The only advantage it holds now is that if you need to reset /reboot the phone you KNOW it'll be disabled and restarted once you pull the battery out.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for the very interesting and informative posts. So reading thru all the comments its really should not be a deal breaker anymore. Its a matter of preference or choice. So having removable or non-removable battery should not be considered as a minus or plus for a device. So reviewers should not give a plus or minus because a device has removable or non-removable battery.

Jairo Taylor

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I think manufacturers that issued non-removable batteries with phoned designed for ordinary users like us are simply mentally unstable. Should anything at all happen to those batteries e.g. running too hot or not charging as it should or simply not lasting as long as it should then then you will need to pay like ?30 or so to their technicians just to open it - mind you not to replace the battery, but to open and get access. Then more charges depending on replacement. This is minus the time it cost you to send the phone away and being without a phone. Incidentally since they started this non-removable madness I have simply restricted myself to Samsung phones and others that still leave their battery compartments open to users to do as they wish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire