Do games run smoothly on your SD card on WP8.1 ?

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a Class 10 microSD. After having played couple of games that have been installed on my SD card, I found that the performance is not that good. The games lags at times. Also couple of times when I do a soft reset, I get a message after reboot that there were errors on my SD card...Do you want to scan and fix it. I'm using a Nokia Lumia 1320.

For those of you who have games installed onto your SD please comment below regarding the same.

Last edited:

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I got a class 4 sandisk and all my games are on it but no lag or performance drop in any of them. Ofcse I don't have much of any highly graphic intensive games but I do play Temple run, Tiny death star, Minion Rush and Rabbids big bang to name a few.
And abt the errors I've been getting them too every time I restart the phone but so far I have done nothing abt it since nothings seems wrong as far as data is concerned.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
No performance drop on my 720 having a Kingston class 10 card. However after, an app crashes (favoz), I do notice that, out takes some time to work properly. The phone takes a lot of time to recover from the crash

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Not much performance drop on asphalt... (one game in my phone only). Loading time increased, though idk how much, but no lag in game
. Class ten san disk

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I got a class 4 sandisk and all my games are on it but no lag or performance drop in any of them. Ofcse I don't have much of any highly graphic intensive games but I do play Temple run, Tiny death star, Minion Rush and Rabbids big bang to name a few.
And abt the errors I've been getting them too every time I restart the phone but so far I have done nothing abt it since nothings seems wrong as far as data is concerned.
That's really surprising with a class 4 card your not experiencing lags. I have played subway suffers and when ever I get the rocket launcher, once the time ends for the launcher I start experiencing lag.

My Talking Tom also lags at times. But I guess the latest update screwed it up, however could be the SD card lag not sure.

plasmid_uk

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
You mention Class 10 but you don't mention the read or write speed of the memory card.

Class 10 is 10mb/s or faster. 10mb/s isn't fast enough to load a game. Think of the HDD in your PC which is over 100mb/s read and write. Class 10 comes in many different speeds. Cheaper Class 10 cards will have a slower speed and faster ones will have a higher speed.

Here is an example...My SD card is Class 10 but it has a read and write speed of 95mb/s, cheaper Class 10 SD cards are normally 20mb/s.

My point is that Class 10 can still not be good enough for your needs unless it's "fast" enough...

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Ya games work fine in my class 4 sd card but sometimes start screen goes blank without live tiles.then.after some seconds everything is k.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You mention Class 10 but you don't mention the read or write speed of the memory card.

Class 10 is 10mb/s or faster. 10mb/s isn't fast enough to load a game. Think of the HDD in your PC which is over 100mb/s read and write. Class 10 comes in many different speeds. Cheaper Class 10 cards will have a slower speed and faster ones will have a higher speed.

Here is an example...My SD card is Class 10 but it has a read and write speed of 95mb/s, cheaper Class 10 SD cards are normally 20mb/s.

My point is that Class 10 can still not be good enough for your needs unless it's "fast" enough...

actually class 10 can reach speeds of upto 45mbps (read speeds not write)

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
That's really surprising with a class 4 card your not experiencing lags. I have played subway suffers and when ever I get the rocket launcher, once the time ends for the launcher I start experiencing lag.

My Talking Tom also lags at times. But I guess the latest update screwed it up, however could be the SD card lag not sure.
I am quite surprised myself to be honest, the write speed on my card is 5 mb/s and read speed of 18 mb/s.
May be I am just too lucky ever since I got wp 8.1, no bugs or lags from the get go so didn't even need a hard reset :)

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

I have the following SD card :

SanDisk Ultra microSDHC and microSDXC UHS-I Cards

Performance/speed: Up to 30MB/s read speed, write speed lower

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

As a measuring stick, does anyone know how fast the flash used in certain windows phones is?

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Even if the card supports it, doesn't mean the phone does... Class ten, even the ten mbps one is already overkill. To OP: It may be the 8.1 update problem, or your card may have some problem. So far I restarted my phone 5 times and soft reset 2 times. That check SD card message only appeared once though. I must state that my card is only one week old though. Stuffs gave their life spans 😉

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Class 6 or class 10 doesn't guarantee good performance, for app installs the phone needs good random access speeds which varies a lot amongst different cards of even class 6 and class 10, just same case as windows phone 7 micro sd card thingy. A good card which i remember is Sandisk class 4 16gb with random access speeds better than many class 10 cards.

Yes, for recording and data transfers, the write speed matters but i am talking about general App and games performance which are installed on microSD cards.

xXNishantXx

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a Class 10 microSD. After having played couple of games that have been installed on my SD card, I found that the performance is not that good. The games lags at times. Also couple of times when I do a soft reset, I get a message after reboot that there were errors on my SD card...Do you want to scan and fix it. I'm using a Nokia Lumia 1320.

For those of you who have games installed onto your SD please comment below regarding the same.

I am Lumia 525 user 8.1preview updated.
Nokia launched this phone for a better gaming experience but I didn't find any benefits. It has laggin while playing games like subway surfers, temple run and other games except *Xbox games.
I have my most of the games in my SD card. So, is that a reason for lag?! Coz even when the game was installed in my phone after a few days of purchase it gave the same lag experience.
I appreciate that Windows Phones Never hang and I am fan of Nokia since I have known about it.
But still there are my other problems or needs that wont be helpful to discuss here.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720