nokia not allowed to make smartphones but what about smart cameras??

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
so news has filtered through saying that nokia will now be concentrating on in car tech and communication and sees itself as a big player in that market which is fair enough although they will again come into direct competition with apple and their in car soloutions they are working on at the minute

however I was thinking a better option for nokia would be to make smart cameras , think what they have done with limited space in the mobile phone market with great handsets like the 808 and 1020 , now imagine what they could do with a bigger space dedicated to imaging

just the thought of a nokia type rx100 device running a smartphone o/s with apps like creative studio , wifi , gps , maps fully downloadable and useable on the camera , great nokia colours and build quality , huge sensor and clever oversampling , maybe changeable lenses from carl zeis

do you think nokia could re-invent their selves in this market easier then in car tech , do you think it would make sense with nokia having phones like the 1020 , what about the market reaction would consumers trust a nokia camera or head straight to trusted makers lke canon and Nikon etc

we have Samsung apparently doing quite well in the smart camera market and we all know nokia could make a better quality camera then them if they wanted to

would it interfere with the Microsoft deal? after all its not a smartphone is it?

finally if you think it wouldn't be such a bad idea or thought the same thing once , what sort of camera would you like from them , high quality point and shoot , a bigger more complex model with interchangeable lenses , what would be your key features and selling points , any particular design youd like?

just something that's crossed my mind so thought id throw it out there ;-)

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that you have read my mind. Now that Nokia have given up on mobile phones why shouldn't they produce some good quality and high end digital cameras? Consider the fact that Nokia have proven themselves to be exemplary in the mobile/camera/imaging field they could easily produce a world class stand alone digital camera based on what they have already achieved with mobile devices.
They would actually be allowed to use proper full sized lenses instead of the tiny ones used in mobile devices.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
But isn't Nokias "camera team" under MS hand now. And the other guy, Mr. X, have moved to Apple now. So who is going to make cameras?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
so news has filtered through saying that nokia will now be concentrating on in car tech and communication and sees itself as a big player in that market which is fair enough although they will again come into direct competition with apple and their in car soloutions they are working on at the minute

however I was thinking a better option for nokia would be to make smart cameras , think what they have done with limited space in the mobile phone market with great handsets like the 808 and 1020 , now imagine what they could do with a bigger space dedicated to imaging

just the thought of a nokia type rx100 device running a smartphone o/s with apps like creative studio , wifi , gps , maps fully downloadable and useable on the camera , great nokia colours and build quality , huge sensor and clever oversampling , maybe changeable lenses from carl zeis

do you think nokia could re-invent their selves in this market easier then in car tech , do you think it would make sense with nokia having phones like the 1020 , what about the market reaction would consumers trust a nokia camera or head straight to trusted makers lke canon and Nikon etc

we have Samsung apparently doing quite well in the smart camera market and we all know nokia could make a better quality camera then them if they wanted to

would it interfere with the Microsoft deal? after all its not a smartphone is it?

finally if you think it wouldn't be such a bad idea or thought the same thing once , what sort of camera would you like from them , high quality point and shoot , a bigger more complex model with interchangeable lenses , what would be your key features and selling points , any particular design youd like?

just something that's crossed my mind so thought id throw it out there ;-)

I haven't heard anyone raving about their new point and shoot in years. People sure do like their smart phones though.

The tablet+ navigation market night be all the is left for them.... But man do they have competition in tablets and nav... What with Apple already getting in the dash of cars right now.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Been reading and re-reading the original post.
@buxz777 found your thinking interesting...

Samsung and maybe Sony's thinking is using optics to enhance the sensor when Nokia's approach was to use software to guide the hardware.
Nokia may do well with pointed post processing software since they evidently had a breakthrough with the 1020.
Digital camera makers know software is the road to success.
I know that Canon, Nikon, Samsung, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus have constantly battled with in camera firmware issues.
Most of these camera makers had inherently larger sensors in point and shoot non-dslr and mirrorless models.

Imagine what Nokia/Microsoft (whomever) could do with even a slightly larger CMOS in a phone.

Apologies for deflecting a bit...

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I think Nokia wants to start away from the expenses associated with making hardware.

they never made the hardware it was Toshiba sensor and carl zeis lens that made them specialy for nokia and the devices that needed them ;-) do you mean the production of say a smartcamera? I can understand that , maybe out sourcing the build like apple do would work in that case

the only problem I can see is if all the camera goodness was sold with the hardware division which I believe it was :-/ on the flipside we should still get great cameras in our phones ;-)

I was just thinking out loud really and thought it was quite an interesting thought so I started a topic , I thought I cant be the only one thinking about this and with the white paper on oversampling popping up it made me think what could nokia do with more space ;-)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
they never made the hardware it was Toshiba sensor and carl zeis lens that made them specialy for nokia and the devices that needed them ;-) do you mean the production of say a smartcamera? I can understand that , maybe out sourcing the build like apple do would work in that case

the only problem I can see is if all the camera goodness was sold with the hardware division which I believe it was :-/ on the flipside we should still get great cameras in our phones ;-)

I was just thinking out loud really and thought it was quite an interesting thought so I started a topic , I thought I cant be the only one thinking about this and with the white paper on oversampling popping up it made me think what could nokia do with more space ;-)
Yes, I mean production. It's a large expenses and there margins are slim in a lot of electronics.

I are moving on the direction of offering platform services that can be accessed by others. So I believe that any future products will follow this template.

Though iI do expect them to continue to research hardware so that they can patent new technologies that may make it easier for OEMs to integrate Nokia services.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers