8.1 official release

chuckd1991

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Nokia's 1520 Facebook page said this morning that Microsoft has officially announced that 8.1 will be released in June. Of course, we don't know if that means the beginning, middle or end of the month. Since I have AT&T, who knows how long it will be. As much as I love the preview, it would be nice to get the bugs fixed, especially the battery issues.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia's 1520 Facebook page said this morning that Microsoft has officially announced that 8.1 will be released in June. Of course, we don't know if that means the beginning, middle or end of the month. Since I have AT&T, who knows how long it will be. As much as I love the preview, it would be nice to get the bugs fixed, especially the battery issues.

have at&t myself. would like it if they would ota 8.1 as soon as it was released to them. they seem to take forever in testing.

NikCR7

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Will the official release have something new? Any difference between the Preview for Developers and the official release?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No. The support lifecycles overlap. WP7.8 lifecycle doesn't end until 9/9/2014, for example.
In case anyone is wondering this doesn't mean MS will actually update WP 7.8 before then as it would mean prolonging the support cycle for a technically dead O/S.

Atish Abhang

May 13, 2014
Visit site
My phone is LUMIA 620 , i bought it last year, so my question is will i get Official WP 8.1 update in future?? and What exactly the LIFE-CYCLE is and
what role does it play......

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My phone is LUMIA 620 , i bought it last year, so my question is will i get Official WP 8.1 update in future?? and What exactly the LIFE-CYCLE is and
what role does it play......

Yes, you will get the official WP8.1 update in the future.

The life cycle is 36 months. The life cycle is basically the time period in which Microsoft will support it. So 36 months from this June, WP8.1 will stop receiving updates, patches, customer support, and new features. It's inconsequential for most users.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Wat dose life cycle means?

Lifecycle dates just mean the date beyond which MS won't issue service pack updates. If they were to issue an update to 7.8 to fix heartbleed (it's not vulnerable, this is just an example) then the lifecycle end date for 7.8 would not need to change. However, if they were to release an update that e.g. included Cortana and called it WP7.9 then that version would get its own lifecycle end date.

There are separate lifecycle dates for phones. IIRC the Lumia 920 has a 24 month lifecycle support period; beyond that a L920 won't necessarily get OS updates, even if the OS version it's running at that point is still within its lifecycle support period.

I'm not sure how much all of this means in the real world where carriers are free to delay updates indefinitely anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre