Hard reset to fix issues

chuckd1991

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Like so many others, I started experiencing some bugs, mainly battery problems, after installing 8.1. A couple days after installation I did a hard reset, but the problems still exist. Has anyone done a second reset? I thought about it, but I don't know if it's futile.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Is it my imagination or is there seemingly more issues showing up on other Lumias? To be specific the 1520 and 929(icon) while there are issues being reported it seems most are on other Lumia models other than these two.

Also, I don't agree one hard reset is all you should try and its fruitless to do a second or third even. There have been reports on this forum of people doing three before it fixed the issues.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I point out to all of "US", we made the decision to do this upgrade. I did my ICON a few weeks ago but reflashed to 8.0 today. I was having battery life problems and more seriously, I was having freezes that only a soft reset would clear.

I did a total reset and then flashed back to 8.0 and then did a hard reset again. I did not load any backups, just decided which apps that I really needed and reinstalled them. I'll wait for the real upgrade when it comes.

The first few weeks, the 8.1 upgrade was great and the features are to die for but as time went on, it became more problematic so I flashed back.

One more point; I did not do a hard reset the first time I did the upgrade. Don't know if that would have made things better. I may decide to do the upgrade again based on firm rumors of when the real upgrade would be available through Verizon. Based on their past history, it might be late 2014 or early 2015 before they issue it. :eck:

Last edited:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Everyone should hard reset after 8.1 and NOT restore anything from backup. I'm not saying you won't have problems with 8.1 if you do but it will reduce the chances greatly if you do.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Everyone should hard reset after 8.1 and NOT restore anything from backup. I'm not saying you won't have problems with 8.1 if you do but it will reduce the chances greatly if you do.

Why the hell would anyone NOT restore from backup? That's why its there. We need our stuff. :p

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Bother to share?

Many people have said that a hard reset without restore is the right thing to do. Many others have said that after a hard reset and no restore their problems have stopped.

If you install 8.1 on top of your 8.0 settings then it can make the apps/phones go a little mad as they get confused by both OS

I have put 8.1 on all my phones listed in my signature and none of them has had a problem except for the first 2-3 days of the battery being bad, WiFi sense and on my 1520 Cortana got stuck but only once and hasn't happened after I removed Cortana's live tile.

Last week I used Nokia software updater for retail to get one of my 925's back to 8.0 and after I restored my backup made before I got 8.1 the day it was released and after leaving it to settle for a few days my phone went mad with reboots, battery only lasting 4-5 hours, freezing and getting extremely hot (I mean really really hot)

Then I did a hard reset and I restored my apps from a backup and again waited and the problems were still there 3 days later except for the rebooting but it had a new problem of when I hit the lock button it sometimes (3 out of 4 times) would take up to 5 seconds to unlock the phone. Locking it wasn't a problem.

I then hard reset it again and installed all the apps again but not by restoring from a backup. That was Saturday morning and already my battery is almost back. I have had no problems and I left it at home this morning with 28% from full charge last Saturday.

I am not sure if MS should have known this but they should have advised people to do a hard reset after installing 8.1 and to not restore from a backup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12