05-14-2014 10:12 PM
40 12
tools
  1. tgp's Avatar
    offtopic....

    mobile.pcmag.com

    This sites doesn't work on my phone but it works fine on Chrome.
    So,
    Is it just me or anyone else having same problem?


    I am using WP8.1.(Preview)
    I just tried it. I have the exact same issue. It works fine on my Nexus 5 using Chrome, but doesn't work on my 920 with 8.1. The page will load, but it seems to be only what you can see. It's locked. I can't scroll down or tap anything. Only the address bar & accompanying menus are available.
    Dantekai14 likes this.
    05-14-2014 07:52 AM
  2. ajayden's Avatar
    The issue is this:
    The mobile site for PC Mag is only optimized for android or iOS.

    Try the full website as I have done in the screenshot below.




    Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    05-14-2014 09:18 AM
  3. MikeSo's Avatar
    I love how all of the crap that happens in iOS or Android nobody ever mentions, but as soon a someone discovers one little bug or glitch in WP, it's "Why is this OS such a piece of crap!!???"

    Anybody that suggests that lagginess/apps crashing/screen freezes are a problem in WP but not in Android or iOS is just high. WP is far more stable across the board then either of those OS.
    I agree with this.

    However, that's not what the OP complained about here, this is about a few specific things that he can't do in WP. He's not condemning the OS, just saying that because of these things he regrets the switch.
    05-14-2014 09:24 AM
  4. MikeSo's Avatar
    recommend that you try to update to WP8.1. There are some minor problems with it at the moment, but IE11 sure works alot better than IE10 did on WP8.
    Just be careful - some sites I use that worked fine in IE10 do not work AT ALL in IE11. Which will be an issue when everyone is updating... Unless they fix it.
    05-14-2014 09:27 AM
  5. MikeSo's Avatar
    offtopic....

    mobile.pcmag.com

    This sites doesn't work on my phone but it works fine on Chrome.
    So,
    Is it just me or anyone else having same problem?


    I am using WP8.1.(Preview)
    Yep, does not work in IE11. Works fine in IE10. As I said above, this has happened on multiple sites for me. This will be a huge problem, especially since WP, due to lack of apps, has to rely so much on websites, much more than iOS and Android have to.
    Dantekai14 likes this.
    05-14-2014 09:30 AM
  6. MikeSo's Avatar
    The issue is this:
    The mobile site for PC Mag is only optimized for android or iOS.
    Not true. It works fine in 8.0 IE10.
    05-14-2014 09:31 AM
  7. ajayden's Avatar
    Akiramike, I have some suggestion for your Japanese translator.
    I have been using Bing Translator app for months now. I have whatsapp group where I interact with Indians (speaking Hindi), Japanese, Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese. I just need to speak into the translator and then copy and paste into my whatsapp.

    Thought it might help you.
    05-14-2014 09:35 AM
  8. Maaz Mansori's Avatar
    The mobile.pcmag.com site works in UC Browser. I've found that sites that worked in Mobile IE10 but not Mobile IE11 will generally work with UC Browser. It's a similar situation on the desktop. If a site does not work properly in desktop IE11, I have to use Firefox. It's not a major issue though; at least 99% of the sites I use work fine with IE11 but for the other 1% I just use an alternate browser.
    05-14-2014 09:38 AM
  9. MikeSo's Avatar
    The mobile.pcmag.com site works in UC Browser. I've found that sites that worked in Mobile IE10 but not Mobile IE11 will generally work with UC Browser. It's a similar situation on the desktop. If a site does not work properly in desktop IE11, I have to use Firefox. It's not a major issue though; at least 99% of the sites I use work fine with IE11 but for the other 1% I just use an alternate browser.
    I don't want to have to use a browser that runs my Citi login unencrypted through their own servers, such as UC Browser does, and for an OS that relies so much on the web like WP, the built in browser needs to handle 100% of the sites. For me, the number of sites that don't work in IE11 are far more than 1%.
    Dantekai14 likes this.
    05-14-2014 09:46 AM
  10. Maaz Mansori's Avatar
    I don't want to have to use a browser that runs my Citi login unencrypted through their own servers, such as UC Browser does, and for an OS that relies so much on the web like WP, the built in browser needs to handle 100% of the sites. For me, the number of sites that don't work in IE11 are far more than 1%.
    That's a good point, but for me I've only noticed a few sites that don't work out of hundreds that I tried, and none of them are sites I happen to use on a regular basis. My mobile banking site PNC works fine with IE11. Out of curiosity, what problem do you have with the Citi site on IE 11?
    I've found Safari to be much worse with compatibility than IE11 is, but fortunately for Apple, most of those sites have iOS apps available.
    05-14-2014 10:34 AM
  11. MikeSo's Avatar
    Out of curiosity, what problem do you have with the Citi site on IE 11?
    It's impossible to log in. It just takes me to the log in screen over and over again when I click on the login button. In IE10 it works fine.

    I've found Safari to be much worse with compatibility than IE11 is, but fortunately for Apple, most of those sites have iOS apps available.
    Exactly, they have every single app out there. We don't. There is no Citi app, for example, so I can not log in to my bank at all in IE11. That's a pretty annoying problem, since Citi is one of the largest banks in the US.

    But I've posted about this here as well as in MSs forum. No reaction though. I guess we'll see.
    05-14-2014 11:11 AM
  12. MikeSo's Avatar
    Anyone updated 8.1 with the update released today, and can see if IE11 works correctly now, for example on mobile.pcmag.com?
    05-14-2014 04:31 PM
  13. Laura Knotek's Avatar
    Anyone updated 8.1 with the update released today, and can see if IE11 works correctly now, for example on mobile.pcmag.com?



    I just updated and can confirm the mobile site doesn't work. However, my default settings have always been the desktop sites, ever since I've used WP7.5 and IE9.






    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    05-14-2014 04:49 PM
  14. ajayden's Avatar
    I just updated and can confirm the mobile site doesn't work. However, my default settings have always been the desktop sites, ever since I've used WP7.5 and IE9.

    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/15/ny4amy7e.png








    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

    This message is received when your IE setting is for Desktop Version and you are opening a mobile site.

    Please type www.pcmag.com and see what happens. Thanks



    Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    05-14-2014 09:54 PM
  15. MikeSo's Avatar
    This message is received when your IE setting is for Desktop Version and you are opening a mobile site.

    Please type www.pcmag.com and see what happens. Thanks



    Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    That is correct. If you set it to desktop and go to www.pcmag.com you can view the desktop site in IE11. There is no way to view the mobile site, however.
    05-14-2014 10:12 PM
40 12

Similar Threads

  1. Should I update my 925 to 8.1?
    By J4rrod in forum Windows Phones
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-07-2014, 08:58 AM
  2. Microsoft should expand video capabilities in WP8.1.x
    By Cryio in forum Other Operating Systems
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-15-2014, 12:42 PM
  3. What language is used in WP8 developing?
    By ToonU in forum Developers Corner
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 10:54 AM
  4. Unlocked and wont connect to Verizon
    By Drayton Mcnew in forum Windows Central Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 12:06 PM
  5. Congratulations to Fhotoroom on 4 million downloads and counting!
    By WindowsCentral.com in forum Windows Central News Discussion & Contests
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2014, 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD