Android to WP8.1 one month later rant

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
You make it sound as if I have a choice when IE just plain does support blogger! What has biase got to do with an internet browser that doesn't work like a browser? I somehow managed to upload two pictures but the blogger interface went screwy on me.

I believe there's a word for being positive when things don't work and its not biase.

Anyone have a solution for blogger and Tangomaster is not half the dictionary Jed on android is.

Akira, every platform has its own pros and cons. If you need to do things from a browser then a PC or Tablet are the best options. As shared by me in the above post, blogger post can done through your email. All you have to do is register the email at your blogger account and send email to go@blogger.com from your registered email.

The subject of the email forms the topic for your post in your blog.
The body of the email forms the details of the post in your blog.
Any photos attached to email, are posted to your blog also.

That way you can easily post without much hassle.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Used a Galaxy S3 before getting a Lumia 1520 and now regretting it. I can put up with the unresponsiveness of IM+ and the barebones gmail but two things are really making me regret the switch.

- Blogger refuses to work on IE and UC browser or is it the other way around. Can't upload pictures and buttons are unresponsive. Wtf. Blogger works on Firefox and Opera but not IE?
- No good Japanese dictionary compared to JED on android which is not perfect. Yes, I tried them all even the paid ones.

Minor annoyances include missing the move the cursor left or right on the keyboard and how there are so many fake reviews in the store.

I should have bought a cheap WP before jumping in the deep end. :(

Hey dude, I see that you got help with posting pictures to Blogger... But I'd also like to recommend that you try to update to WP8.1. There are some minor problems with it at the moment, but IE11 sure works alot better than IE10 did on WP8.

I hope you can work around the few quirks and haggles that this has (which every OS has in different forms) and find yourself happy with your device! It's never fair that a user that buys a $400+ phone ends up unhappy!

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
offtopic....

mobile.pcmag.com

This sites doesn't work on my phone but it works fine on Chrome.
So,
Is it just me or anyone else having same problem?

I am using WP8.1.(Preview)

Last edited:

akiramike

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Pcmag not working for me too and yes Giddora, I am running 8.1.

I downloaded an mp3 pocast and realised that default music player can't select whIch point I want to listen to. Wtf. What's an mp3 player on WP that can do what winamp could 15 years ago?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
offtopic....

mobile.pcmag.com

So,

I just tried it. I have the exact same issue. It works fine on my Nexus 5 using Chrome, but doesn't work on my 920 with 8.1. The page will load, but it seems to be only what you can see. It's locked. I can't scroll down or tap anything. Only the address bar & accompanying menus are available.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
The issue is this:
The mobile site for PC Mag is only optimized for android or iOS.

Try the full website as I have done in the screenshot below.
gyqymy9a.png

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I love how all of the crap that happens in iOS or Android nobody ever mentions, but as soon a someone discovers one little bug or glitch in WP, it's "Why is this OS such a piece of crap!!???"

Anybody that suggests that lagginess/apps crashing/screen freezes are a problem in WP but not in Android or iOS is just high. WP is far more stable across the board then either of those OS.

I agree with this.

However, that's not what the OP complained about here, this is about a few specific things that he can't do in WP. He's not condemning the OS, just saying that because of these things he regrets the switch.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
recommend that you try to update to WP8.1. There are some minor problems with it at the moment, but IE11 sure works alot better than IE10 did on WP8.

Just be careful - some sites I use that worked fine in IE10 do not work AT ALL in IE11. Which will be an issue when everyone is updating... Unless they fix it.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
offtopic....

mobile.pcmag.com

So,

Yep, does not work in IE11. Works fine in IE10. As I said above, this has happened on multiple sites for me. This will be a huge problem, especially since WP, due to lack of apps, has to rely so much on websites, much more than iOS and Android have to.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Akiramike, I have some suggestion for your Japanese translator.
I have been using Bing Translator app for months now. I have whatsapp group where I interact with Indians (speaking Hindi), Japanese, Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese. I just need to speak into the translator and then copy and paste into my whatsapp.

Thought it might help you.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
The mobile.pcmag.com site works in UC Browser. I've found that sites that worked in Mobile IE10 but not Mobile IE11 will generally work with UC Browser. It's a similar situation on the desktop. If a site does not work properly in desktop IE11, I have to use Firefox. It's not a major issue though; at least 99% of the sites I use work fine with IE11 but for the other 1% I just use an alternate browser.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The mobile.pcmag.com site works in UC Browser. I've found that sites that worked in Mobile IE10 but not Mobile IE11 will generally work with UC Browser. It's a similar situation on the desktop. If a site does not work properly in desktop IE11, I have to use Firefox. It's not a major issue though; at least 99% of the sites I use work fine with IE11 but for the other 1% I just use an alternate browser.

I don't want to have to use a browser that runs my Citi login unencrypted through their own servers, such as UC Browser does, and for an OS that relies so much on the web like WP, the built in browser needs to handle 100% of the sites. For me, the number of sites that don't work in IE11 are far more than 1%.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to have to use a browser that runs my Citi login unencrypted through their own servers, such as UC Browser does, and for an OS that relies so much on the web like WP, the built in browser needs to handle 100% of the sites. For me, the number of sites that don't work in IE11 are far more than 1%.

That's a good point, but for me I've only noticed a few sites that don't work out of hundreds that I tried, and none of them are sites I happen to use on a regular basis. My mobile banking site PNC works fine with IE11. Out of curiosity, what problem do you have with the Citi site on IE 11?
I've found Safari to be much worse with compatibility than IE11 is, but fortunately for Apple, most of those sites have iOS apps available.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what problem do you have with the Citi site on IE 11?
It's impossible to log in. It just takes me to the log in screen over and over again when I click on the login button. In IE10 it works fine.

I've found Safari to be much worse with compatibility than IE11 is, but fortunately for Apple, most of those sites have iOS apps available.
Exactly, they have every single app out there. We don't. There is no Citi app, for example, so I can not log in to my bank at all in IE11. That's a pretty annoying problem, since Citi is one of the largest banks in the US.

But I've posted about this here as well as in MSs forum. No reaction though. I guess we'll see.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone updated 8.1 with the update released today, and can see if IE11 works correctly now, for example on mobile.pcmag.com?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone updated 8.1 with the update released today, and can see if IE11 works correctly now, for example on mobile.pcmag.com?

I just updated and can confirm the mobile site doesn't work. However, my default settings have always been the desktop sites, ever since I've used WP7.5 and IE9.
ny4amy7e.png

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I just updated and can confirm the mobile site doesn't work. However, my default settings have always been the desktop sites, ever since I've used WP7.5 and IE9.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/15/ny4amy7e.png

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

This message is received when your IE setting is for Desktop Version and you are opening a mobile site.

Please type www.pcmag.com and see what happens. Thanks

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium