08-23-2014 10:55 PM
87 1234
tools
    Can't live without the action center and three medium tiles on screen :D
    05-14-2014 04:11 AM
    I couldn't switch back to WP8. I love three columns and I would never want to use WP ever again without notification center.

Most of all because I don't care about the Music or Games app.
    05-14-2014 04:12 AM
    I intend on sticking with WP8. It's simple enough for me and does what I need from my phone. I like the interface too.
    05-14-2014 04:13 AM
    I do get your point, for a couple of things:
    - they ruined the OS integration of social networks so bad, we had an advantage there and the phone saved you from opening the app itself.. But for some reason i still have hope that when the apps get updated we will have more functionality or at least some of the things we lost.
    - The other thing is Music, i don't know why they keep making it get worse with every update, first they remove zune, next they put some laggy app with zero sync functionality, not everyone love that cloud thing.. And we don't like you.
    05-14-2014 05:05 AM
    I honestly think this whole tradeoff thing shouldn't be happening. Trading off integration for extra features is dumb. They should have stuck with both. They invested the time into integration and having a fluid, unique OS, and now its getting tossed out the window.
    Do both. If you're not going to do things right, then don't do them at all.
    8.1 doesn't even feel as responsive. My buddy has the same phone as me but still on 8.0 GDR3 because he's waiting on final rollout, and every time I used his phone I'm quite surprised at how much more responsive it feels right off the bat. Even just scrubbing up and down the Start screen. Its crazy. I hope when the official rollout comes we at least get the responsive bit back. That was so signature to WP for me.
    7.8 on my Focus Flash was already more responsive than 8 but I let that slide. Now its nearing Android levels. And that's pretty low in comparison to 7.x

Theres my two cents.
    Michael Kozak likes this.
    05-14-2014 05:11 AM
    No, it isn't. There's no problem at all with performing a hard reset on 8.1, you'll get the vast majority of your stuff back, even if the backup fails at 96%.
    maybe...but there's another thread here were 1520 having having same issues loading start screen and the device getting real hot when this happens.....they have all done hard resets and still have same issue so I'm sure my 1520 will not be the exception so it seems like firmware issues .only reason I have not done hard resets.
    05-14-2014 08:01 AM
    Hate the new music and video apps, nuff said.
    05-14-2014 10:34 AM
    My wife and I have a 820, 925 and two 520's as backup. When they release the final 8.1 I will put it on one of the 520's to experiment with before I download it to my 820 or her 925. I know my wife will take awhile to move to it; but I doubt I will have much trouble with the crossover. I am very happy with 8.0 but I also know the future is 8.1 so we need to move as soon as possible. I have three android tablets with 2.3, 4.0 and 4.2 on them. I almost never run across a problem on the older tablet with 2.3 on it. In fact it is the more stable of the bunch. But if you don't upgrade in mobile devices sooner or later it is going to bite you on the ****. Damn I hate that. lol
    05-14-2014 10:40 AM
    Staying with 8.1 as I use notifications and Cortana much more than I thought I would.

As for the hubs and integration I'm hoping these come right with updates and up roar from the fans here :-)
    05-14-2014 11:03 AM
    Personally for me, I'm fine with both 8.1 and 8. I'm currently running 8.1 Developers preview on my L920, and I have to say, this is so much better than 8. Especially the new swype wordflow keyboard. I love typing messages on my phone now. Also, the wallpaper behind the tiles are simply gorgeous. Other than that, the notification centre is not much of a bummer for me (although the toggles help me to free up some space on my start screen that is meant for connectivity tiles, but, oh well). However, using the developers preview also means that there WILL be bugs. Stuff like screen glitching, battery draining fast, crappy reception, so-so integration of social apps are some of the stuff that annoy me, but as I said, its a developers preview. So there WILL be bugs. I am currently planning to get a L1020 (waited a long time for that, and I am seriously going to get that), which will mean that I will be downgraded to 8.0 again. Sure, I will miss some features of 8.1, but hey, June is not that far away, and I just have to wait a little more before Nokia pushes out their Cyan update. I would rather get the full support from Nokia, with all my drivers updated properly and whatnot, together with the full WP8.1 update, so that I can have a pleasant experience on my phone.

In conclusion, I'm totally fine with both 8.0 and 8.1. Both have their pros and cons, and I love both equally. So I wouldn't mind if I used either. Yeahhhhh
    05-14-2014 11:20 AM
    Going back to 2 rows of tiles and no action center would make my phone feel old. Lol. Not to mention finally getting Data Sense, no thanks to AT&T.
    05-14-2014 02:56 PM
    I am back on WP8 and I hate it...lol

For starters, please tell me that the DP is still available to install...I thought I read a few weeks back that the preview had been halted or something.

Anyway....I got myself a New windows Phone(the same phone I had...just a different color) today so it of course reset my back to WP8. I had sort of considered going back to 8 because the biggest issue and annoyance was my signal with my 1520. I was constantly dropping calls and what not and it was just annoying to always see the "no signal" icon

So I go through the activation of my phone and already within a month I am hardwired with Wp 8.1

1. I tried "Action Center" to see how long my battery was lasting....LOL then I remembered, all this does is just show the Icons at the top.

2. IE only opens up like 6 tabs.....

3. I was trying to tell Cortana to remind me of something only to be greeted by the boring old WP and bing lol.

And while the signal issues have gotten slightly better, it is nothing that i'd say is way better. I still have lack of signal sometimes and drop a call here and there. Which means. while it happens less with the official WP8,. it's likely more so AT&T than anything to do with my phone & software.

After spending the last 6 hours back on 8, I realize that the small stuff add into 8.1 really do make one bad a** update and I can't wait to get off 8 and back on wp 8.1
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-14-2014 09:29 PM
    Hi Micah! If you were registered for the preview before, you just need to reinstall Preview for Developers on your new phone and follow the prompts. I'm sure you know we had an update today, lol.

Btw, what is the new color? I believe you had a red one before, right? Hope it works great for you!
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    05-14-2014 09:48 PM
    Hi Micah! If you were registered for the preview before, you just need to reinstall Preview for Developers on your new phone and follow the prompts. I'm sure you know we had an update today, lol.

Btw, what is the new color? I believe you had a red one before, right? Hope it works great for you!
    Yep I had red :) and I now have yellow...I was waiting for Green but ehh they took too long lol
    05-15-2014 01:49 AM
    Yep I had red :) and I now have yellow...I was waiting for Green but ehh they took too long lol
    Yeah, I originally wanted yellow, but it was virtually nonexistent at launch time. Being the impatient "kid at Christmas time" that I am, I got the red, too. I have to say, I'm very happy with it.

Have you installed 8.1 on your yellow beast yet? I installed it on mine last night. The jury is still out as far as battery life; I'll have to wait and see, since it was great before the update. 😊
    05-15-2014 07:02 AM
    It's the toughest for me to stay on 8.1 and if you're a fellow Lumia Icon user you know why...

...but I'm trying to stick it out because I know how rewarding it'll be the day we turn on our phone and have the full features of 8.1 without the overheating/battery issues and the WiFi/wake-delay issues.
    05-15-2014 07:08 AM
    Conflicted - totally conflicted. Lol!

Why?

Cause running 8.0 on my NL925 originally was sooooo smooth. Like butter smooth, in every application.

Then I install DP 8.1 and battery life suffered from 25-30 hours with moderate usage to 15 tops!! (On first install of 8.1). So ... Reverted back to 8.0 TILL I see yesterdays blog about "fixes" to 8.1 battery life and bugs. Jumped on having Notifications, Transparent tiles/background, and Cortana again.

And after one day?

No significant battery increase that my phone is experiencing (same usage).

But what I am seeing?

I now have a laggy Android phone ... Scrolling that sticks, flashes of white screen when I open or close my 2 email accounts (consistently!), doubling sometimes of top icons for Wi-Fi, battery, etc at top of screen ... and not the unique Windows Phone I had enjoyed and even bragged about to people!!

Totally conflicted ~ lol!!

WP of old .... or copy cat Android??
    05-15-2014 02:51 PM
    sucks for the people who updated to 8.1 with tons of issues, mines running almost flawless.
    Michael Kozak likes this.
    05-15-2014 04:18 PM
    Going old school - 😁

Yep ... Finally decided to go back to 8.0 and enjoy my phone again. After trying DP 8.1 twice now, and experiencing how laggy, buggy, battery draining and Android like my phone had become under 8.1.

I just personally decided, for me, I wanted some sanity, smoothness, good battery life back on my phone.

HAPPY to say I got that again now with 8.0. Kinda reminds me again what originally attracted me to WP in the first place. How smooth and simple the OS was!

I don't really miss Cortana because I can get "her" features using other apps (news, weather, sports, reminders, etc).

But being totally honest - I DEFINITELY will miss the Word Flow typing and Notification Center.

If I could JUST get those two features, coupled with the silky smooth way my NL925 is running again (on 8.0) ... I'd be one happy camper!!
    Last edited by Michael Kozak; 05-16-2014 at 10:57 AM.
    chezm likes this.
    05-16-2014 09:56 AM
    I thought the idea of having notifications on the tiles were the way instead of the drop down notifications center.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    05-18-2014 03:14 PM
    Considering there is a update now for WP8.1 and you guys being so positive I have given WP8.1 another shot. I miss being able to stream my music (my purchased music won't show on 8.1) but darn the start screen is nice in WP8.1. Still miss my social hub sorely, but will see if I can keep my self on this update. I'm 50/50 currently.
    05-18-2014 04:17 PM
    Let us know if your Preview update worked on your new phone. This was my only reason why I have not gotten the new Icon/929 on Verizon because I did not want to have to revert back to 8.0. I am just to used to 8.1 now to go back.
    05-18-2014 04:22 PM
    Finally back on WP8 again. I missed my Xbox Music and social feat to much. I will stay here until i see some huge changes to those two in WP8.1 that gives a pleasant user experience on my L1020. I hope others is still optimistic.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    06-01-2014 03:57 PM
    Will WP8.1 be officially released??
    06-02-2014 01:24 PM
    Will WP8.1 be officially released??
    Of cause it will, don't you read the very excellent news on WPC? There is but weeks left for current headsets.
    gobi2510 likes this.
    06-03-2014 04:39 AM
87 1234