Will you stay on Windows Phone 8?

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I been using the 8.1 developer preview since it came out and really like it, it has its charm. But i flashed back to WP8 yesterday and i suddenly realised i like it better, and i feel old now.
I been a user of WP since it first came out and maybe that's the reason why, WP8.1 is to different from the ideas i started using WP.
What i, as a old school user miss the most, is the start screen customization and the ability to select different message tones for your apps. But that's about it.
So this got me thinking, can i live without the built in Facebook features and the hubs. As it is now, no. And i have therefore disabled the search for updates, content on what i have and will maybe stay here.

But what about you? Will you go to WP8.1 (or stay if your on the dev update) or will you try to hang on to WP8 as long as possible?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I will update to OEM 8.1 when the time comes, I love the DP 8.1, and will never go back to 8.0

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520, w/AT&T using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
After using 8.1 for a while, I could not go back to 8, it would almost feel like going back to 7.8 from 8... Too many features that I now depend on, like the notfication center and Cortana....just could not go back...

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Running Dev Preview 8.1 and i absolutely LOVE the updates...I realized how little of important ME Tile and FB/Twitter Integration into the OS were. So far im really happy with WP as an OS over Android/iOS....just gave my wife the iPhone 5S i was using for 7 months and picked up a 1020. Best move I made.

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
When I was doing the research I kept hearing that 8.1 is competitive with other OSs and 8 isn't and there were specific things in 8.1 that I wanted, but all my playing with 8 made me forget what they were. I'll upgrade but I'm expecting many bugs. The developer version is just that - there's not enough time for Microsoft to fix things based on bug reports. It just allows developers to test their apps.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
When I was doing the research I kept hearing that 8.1 is competitive with other OSs and 8 isn't and there were specific things in 8.1 that I wanted, but all my playing with 8 made me forget what they were. I'll upgrade but I'm expecting many bugs. The developer version is just that - there's not enough time for Microsoft to fix things based on bug reports. It just allows developers to test their apps.

As others have said many times, The preview, is pretty much that, this is final code. As some minor bugs have been found, they will adress them but, it's just as solid as WP8 is with all the extra features. With that being said, as long as you dont have a device that has a big issue(some models have problems), for the most part it is solid as a rock and even the minor bugs are nothing compared to what your getting with 8.1...

Worth installing the preview program version....No question..

I'm sporting a Nokia ICON.... awsome with it..

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Interesting to see your thoughts. Nice to hear your enjoying WP8.1. I will follow how the official launch goes and evaluate as it goes if i feel comfortable to go back to 8.1. Cortana isn't available in Sweden and will maybe never be so i am not missing that. A plus for me going back to WP8 was i also got all my Xbox Music i bought back so i can listen to that.

Im also concerned that phones like my Lumia 1020, and the others, 925, 920, HTC 8x and all the older models will have trouble running 8.1 as fluid as the new phones (app loading times etc).

BarryII

May 8, 2014
Visit site
As some minor bugs have been found, they will adress them...

I hope they address these, from the Developer Preview 8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread because I'd consider them more than minor if they affected me:

Bugs requiring Firmware update or OEM system app update - nothing will fix them. Only OEMs can and will in 2-3 months:
Bug: Mobile data isn't stable.
Bug: Unresponsive power button.
Bug: Phone heats up.
Bug: Operator settings like voicemail don't work.

Bugs 8.1 has introduced and have no solution as of now.
Bug: Cannot delete images from favourite folder ? photo hub.
Bug: Cannot access photos that were already on SD card before update.
Bug: After doing a hard reset on the phone, cannot gain access to the camera or open a camera app.

I wonder how the OP of that thread knows what OEMs will fix in 2-3 months.

Michael Kozak

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
A Lumia 925 user here ... And I did run WP 8.1 for the first 3 weeks it was out (DP). But reverted back to 8.0 - main issue for me was battery life.

Went from 25-30 hours on 8.0 ~ to roughly 15 hours TOPS running 8.1. Drove me nuts constantly looking to recharge phone. (And yes .... did ALL the typical stuff ~ resets, closing of apps, syncing of emails, etc.) That everyone talked about on here. Nothing helped battery issues.

But .... Lol .... I'm DEFINITELY going to reinstall 8.1 again, once firmware is added by carrier!!

I've got my 25-30 hours back running 8.0 again .... But man do I miss Notifications, Word Flow keyboard, transparent backgrounds and Cortana - for so many features it had (news, weather, sports, traffic, reminders and more!!)

WP 8.1 ... overall ... really ran smoothly for me on my 925 - not an issue at all. I just could not take the constant battery issues.

Here's hoping ... ✌✌

😎

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of keeping my 920 on 8, but I'm definitely going to update my 925 to 8.1 when it's officially released. Meanwhile, my 810 is running 8.1 via the developer preview and I absolutely love it!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Im also concerned that phones like my Lumia 1020, and the others, 925, 920, HTC 8x and all the older models will have trouble running 8.1 as fluid as the new phones (app loading times etc).

I've got the 8.1 DP running on my 1020 and its more fluid than WP8

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I've got the 8.1 DP running on my 1020 and its more fluid than WP8

Well im happy for you then. But the loading time of apps is more the issue that I mean, raw processing power. Also when using the back button I notice the OS studder when returing to start screen so the OS is not lag free. Fuse is a app like that for instance.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
No I'm not going back to 8.0. Those huge tiles, no thanks. I don't have any problem at all on 8.1 with my 928. Well there is one actually and it eats my battery alot -that's WhatsApp. You know when you open it static sound comes from speaker, that's my main concern. I use WhatsApp alot, sometimes straight few hours))

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I tried 8.1, and while it has a lot of nice touches, there really wasn't any killer features (for me) that compelled me to stay there, so i rolled back to 8.0.

The issues with WhatsApp and the state of Xbox Music didn't help.

I'm happy on 8.0 until 8.1 comes out officially.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
About as many bugs as new features! So I'm on the fence too. 1520 heats up when start screen take a second to load ! Oh yeah and about the start screen...i know when screen is slow to load or loads real choppy.....when my phone feels like the sun! Camera turns on randomly. And yes the battery life sucks and no I'm not using my phone any more than I was before! So hopefully updates fix these issues because although its a preview.....it kills my phone and its smoothness.if it stays the same then yeah I will revert back to wp8 cause now my phone feels like android....lots of features but buuuuuuuggy.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
About as many bugs as new features! So I'm on the fence too. 1520 heats up when start screen take a second to load ! Oh yeah and about the start screen...i know when screen is slow to load or loads real choppy.....when my phone feels like the sun! Camera turns on randomly. And yes the battery life sucks and no I'm not using my phone any more than I was before! So hopefully updates fix these issues because although its a preview.....it kills my phone and its smoothness.if it stays the same then yeah I will revert back to wp8 cause now my phone feels like android....lots of features but buuuuuuuggy.

Have you tried a factory reset?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb