HERE Drive and 8.1

mgerbasio

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a Jeep with UConnect and it has the same problem although otherwise the bluetooth works much better than it did with my Nexus 5. I don't like Here Drive as there isn't the ability to re-route on traffic (a big deal in the NYC area) so I've been trying alternatives. Google Maps may be the tipping point to go back to Android.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
How could this still be an issue? Does Nokia not even user their own app? This makes the app useless and I've since switched to Waze.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't view this as a bug. This is how my IPhone used to act with Waze before my switch. The way this works now I am able to listen to the radio while using HERE drive without having to keep my Ford Sync system on Bluetooth.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't view this as a bug. This is how my IPhone used to act with Waze before my switch. The way this works now I am able to listen to the radio while using HERE drive without having to keep my Ford Sync system on Bluetooth.

Are you kidding me? Did you watch the video above? Apparently, it works in your car but in lots of others it is no longer usable. The instructions are cut off and the car keeps saying phone call completed. Never had this issue before 8.1 and Waze doesn't have this issue.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Are you kidding me? Did you watch the video above? Apparently, it works in your car but in lots of others it is no longer usable. The instructions are cut off and the car keeps saying phone call completed. Never had this issue before 8.1 and Waze doesn't have this issue.

The Ford Sync system does not prematurely end the "phone call" and the "call answer" to switching to the active call works as it should. Before this change I had to keep the Bluetooth active in the car, and it limited my listening choices to what my phone could stream, or what music was on board the phone.

Some of the issue could land with the stereo unit itself in which there may not be a fix. If it the phone call registers with the phone as being answered by the stereo unit, it continues to give the voice direction. There could be some delay the stereo is going through when switching from Bluetooth / radio to phone call. This would not be a problem with Nokia, but with the stereo manufacturer. And with so many manufacturers of car stereos, there could be quite a few out there that have this problem.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
You are luck that it works in your Ford Sync system. With Chrysler Uconnect it does not work. It cuts off the beginning of the instructions. Even if that were fixed it still wouldn't be usable because the car says out loud "Phone Call Completed" every single time it gives you instructions. Lots of people with lots of different vehicles in this thread are having the issue. You seem to be in the minority. Possibly Microsoft only tested it on their own sync system??

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Here's a new video. As you can see, the beginning of the instructions are cut off and it says Call completed after each instruction.

Bugrahan

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am now on 8.1 on my 1520 (real 8.1, through AT&T) and I can confirm that the issue is still here. Before I have stated that I assumed the issue will go after Nokia Cyan with updated drivers, but this is not looking good.
My car is 2013 VW Jetta, by the way and I am pissed.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
just tried Waze: it's not even trying to transmit audio via Bluetooth from what it looks like (audio comes through phone speakers)...

Waze works like any other media on your phone. You first set your car to Bluetooth \ media then it'll go through the car speakers. Here acts like a phone call which doesn't require your car to be set on Bluetooth \ media. Apparently that feature in cars was designed for phone calls not gps... At least that's what seems to be happening to me.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Must be a Nokia or HTC issue because it works fine on my Samsung Ativ S neo through my 2012 Camry's audio system. I tested it this morning while streaming xbox music. Here Drive pauses the music, "calls" the Bluetooth audio in the car and gives the complete voice guidance, nothing cut off. Music then resumes.

The system is also flawless in my 2014 Toyota Corolla. The directions still generally suck and I mostly use it to amuse people but the connectivity is great. In fact, all of the BT quirks with WP8 have been corrected in WP8.1.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
just tried Waze: it's not even trying to transmit audio via Bluetooth from what it looks like (audio comes through phone speakers)...

This happens with mine if I start Waze and set up the route before I get to the car and connect to the Bluetooth. If I start it after Bluetooth is connected then the voice prompts come over Bluetooth.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
This happens with mine if I start Waze and set up the route before I get to the car and connect to the Bluetooth. If I start it after Bluetooth is connected then the voice prompts come over Bluetooth.
Same here. I just exit the app and reopen it once Bluetooth is connected, not a big deal. Just got back from a trip using waze. Wish Nokia would fix their app so I could go back to here drive.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed 2 things using Here Drive+ over Bluetooth to my car stereo (Lumina 920 with 8.1 dev preview)

1. With standard Bluetooth settings my music fades out to allow the directions to play but there's just silence and then the music fades in again
2. If I switch to 'Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for speech' then I get the same issue as the OP, a call starts, half the direction is cut off and the volume changes

I contacted Nokia support about this via Twitter and they were no help. I tried to get confirmation that this would be fixed or that they at least were working on it but they just said they couldn't tell me anything.

Tiaxx

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Waze works like any other media on your phone. You first set your car to Bluetooth \ media then it'll go through the car speakers. Here acts like a phone call which doesn't require your car to be set on Bluetooth \ media. Apparently that feature in cars was designed for phone calls not gps... At least that's what seems to be happening to me.

Yup, looks like that was indeed the problem - apprently the App determines the audio output only once at app start.

Edit: does not seem to lower the music volume like HERE Drive did under 8.0, though --> cannot understand it anyway :D

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel