HERE Drive and 8.1

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
So I'm hoping this is just because we don't have the Nokia side of WP 8.1 yet but I used Drive for the first time on Saturday since I loaded the 8.1 preview when it came out and noticed something extremely annoying. I usually connect via bluetooth to my Jeep to stream music off the phone. In the past, when giving voice directions Drive would mute/lower the volume on the music, give the directions, and return the music to the regular volume.

Now, it acts like a phone call on my vehicle's bluetooth system and I miss the first couple seconds of the directions while my vehicle's bluetooth picks it up and connects it like a call. Although it's not exactly like a call since the vehicle is "answering" it on it's own instead of waiting for me to hit the phone button on the steering wheel to answer it. This is definitely a change in Drive and not just 8.1 though because Waze still work, although it still doesn't seem to be able to mute the playing music which is why I don't use it.

I'm really hoping this is not the way Drive is going to be permanently. If it is, I see myself tethering my Android tablet to the 1020 while on the road and using Google's nav app instead. Drive is useless if I'm going to miss the first few seconds of the directions every single time.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Very weird...hopefully it is something they can iron out. But what happens when you tap the screen to have it manually give you the next turn? Does it still take forever to connect even if you do it back to back times?

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happens to me in my car (Chevy cruze) on my Lumia 920. I had to turn Bluetooth sync off for the time being.

Kr1szto

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar problem, but... I cannot hear the end of the driving directions, it simply fades out too quickly. The setup is the same. Nokia 925 connected over Bluetooth, using Music and Here Drive. When a direction is due, the music fades out and the direction comes, but just for a second, then it quickly fades out and the music continues. Any fix for this? Before updating to WP Developer Preview, it worked.

kevntrace

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have an older car, so don't have Bluetooth built in. I do have a Bluetooth speaker however. But this would only work for calls, and not for music (fair enough) or GPS (which would have been nice) on WP 8.

But since installing the 8.1 preview, GPS voice now does come over the Bluetooth speaker - which is great!. It does suffer from missing the first second or so, but so far that has not been an issue for me. So I actually like (sort of) the new behavior!

Bugrahan

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Same issue. AT&T 1520, running the latest 8.1 Preview. The car is 2013 VW Jetta. Music streaming works great as before, but now with Nokia Drive+, the directions cuts after the first 1.5 seconds or so.

In addition, the voice quality for directions (not for music) is really bad.

If I select the option in Bluetooth menu "Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech", Nokia Drive+ works OK, but it opens up a connection as placing a Phone call. That means, it closes the streaming music (A2DP) connection, open up a different connection as voice, then at the end of the navigation, it closes the voice connection and opens up a new A2DP.
With that, voice quality for navigation is even worse and to continue streaming music is around 2 seconds longer compared to before 8.1 Preview.

I really believe, this is a Bluetooth driver issue on Nokia's part and it will be solved when they update their firmware to work with with WP8.1.

peter14f

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have an older car, so don't have Bluetooth built in. I do have a Bluetooth speaker however. But this would only work for calls, and not for music (fair enough) or GPS (which would have been nice) on WP 8.

But since installing the 8.1 preview, GPS voice now does come over the Bluetooth speaker - which is great!. It does suffer from missing the first second or so, but so far that has not been an issue for me. So I actually like (sort of) the new behavior!

Yes, the navigation voice used to go through A2DP in WP8.
Now with WP8.1, it's going through the bluetooth voice profile.

So Microsoft should allow us to choose... I need it to go through A2DP because my stereo thinks everything coming from the voice profile is a voice call, and it will make this annoying beep and then switch to the voice mode. This is happening each time an instruction is about to be announced.

Steve Canton

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Must be a Nokia or HTC issue because it works fine on my Samsung Ativ S neo through my 2012 Camry's audio system. I tested it this morning while streaming xbox music. Here Drive pauses the music, "calls" the Bluetooth audio in the car and gives the complete voice guidance, nothing cut off. Music then resumes.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same exact issue as the OP and in the video above in my Chrysler Town and country 2014. My issue is even worse than in the video because after the voice nav is done speaking the direction, the car says "Call Completed" really loud. I'll try Waze for now until this gets fixed.

Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Similar here with a 1020 on 8.1 in a Mazda CX-5. On mine the music stops, the call interface starts, after a few seconds finally the street announcement starts really softly, and after five seconds or so the volume shoots up, followed by a super loud beep confirming that the 'call' was ended. It makes voice navigation completely unusable. That's what you get for trying dev previews I guess, but I do hope they'll fix it soon!

Tiaxx

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Problem persists with Cyan update (Lumia 630).

• HERE Drive instructions come in via an "auto-accepted voice call", which cuts off several seconds of the instruction, making it pretty useless
  • Cortana (when holding the phone's search button) comes in via the same way as a phone call

Disabling the Bluetooth option "Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech" completely breaks it for my car bluetooth variant (Peugeot 207, 04/2011).

Last edited:

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This is probably meant to be a feature, so that you will still get directions even if you're not using the bluetooth AUX source but instead listening to the radio or a CD or whatever. Hopefully they will either make it work better or let people switch it to the previous behavior.

Tiaxx

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This is probably meant to be a feature, so that you will still get directions even if you're not using the bluetooth AUX source but instead listening to the radio or a CD or whatever. Hopefully they will either make it work better or let people switch it to the previous behavior.
Possibly. Then again, the device should be able to determine if it's currently streaming music via A2DP and only use the fallback when not ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb