Communication regarding updates

Prasun Banerjee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
There are already a lot of threads on issues regarding 8.1 including (but not limited to) Music , Games , Hub , Viewing Contact info so wont go there. But basically this thread is about a more fundamental problem regarding the same.

The changes that were made in the structure of the OS ... removing Music , Games Hubs were done by the OS owner i.e MSFT ... why is there no formal communication regarding the same including detailed changelogs ? When we can have indie developers give detailed changelogs for applications that are used by a subset of users , why shouldnt MSFT publish a changelog for fundamental changes to the OS ?

Along with the changelog , how difficult is to even publish a 3 month view into planned feature upgrades ? There are user voices on multiple online forums but nothing that officially shows a target for features MSFT will be bringing to the OS ? Yes there are confidentiality issues regarding the same and i wouldnt want a planned original feature for MSFT to be stolen by indie developers or on other platforms like iOS or Android but lets accept one fact that when it comes to features , Windows Phone is still playing catch up and hence chances of this happening are pretty slim if any.

The bigger reason why this becomes important going forward is the merger ... All these days you had one organisation owning OS and another owning the firmwares. Now those two need to be far more streamlined and hence changelogs and planned feature upgrades are a must.

One more point regarding the importance of changelogs is because of the issues that have cropped up with 8.1. I am sure there would have been an underlying logic to decoupling of the Games, Music, Video hubs ... but those apps were working fine ... if they had to be changed it would have been based on a planned roadmap for those ... Where is the communication regarding the same ??? We all have assumed based on online posts that it was done to allow quicker updates to be pushed on those hubs without the need to update the entire OS. Is that it ???

We are the 3rd OS platform ... way behind the other two ... Windows Phone is the underdog and its different. Maybe this sort of open communication regarding the OS would add to our reputation of being an OS with a difference. iOS doesnt need it and Android is way too fragmented and developer driven to have meaningful OS related changelogs. I believe Windows phone needs it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't discuss their future plans for commercial reasons. If they were to announce that they were going to introduce a cool new feature, competitors may use that information to undermine or negate the new feature - resulting in loss of potential earnings.

And yes, it would be nice to have release notes with every update of apps, but WPCentral do a pretty good job of letting me know of any features that have been added.

Prasun Banerjee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that WPCentral is not Microsoft's voice ... And secondly I am not even talking of Microsoft announcing that they will release Cortana ... I am saying that the Games Hub will be decoupled from OS and x , y , z would be the advantages and new features we will be bringing on the same.
Joe Belfiore announcing a File Manager is a one off incident ... Is that too hard to follow as a process ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon