Trust IE11 to Remember Website Passwords?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you allow IE11 to remember website passwords (on the phone or pc)? I'm tempted to enable this once or twice a week but just can't get over the feeling it is a bad idea. I use LastPass on all my devices (Lumia 920, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Windows 7 laptop) and it's usually not an issue, but sometimes I think it would be nice to not have to open LastPass, enter a very long password, find the right entry, copy/paste, copy/paste. I'm most tempted on the DV8Pro because the whole process can be clunky at times- selecting the entry fields can be hit or miss, the LP app is not as fluid, text entry in general is less efficient than on the phone, etc.

What do you think? Have you used this feature? How does it compare to using a password management app? Has Microsoft documented the security protocols in place to protect passwords?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes , I use this feature. Its a nice handy feature. For instance in windows phone 8.1 ,I have to type in passwords and username every time which was a big pain but now it syncs with my desktop PC and notebook (along with bookmarks and history ) .I never used 3rd party apps to remember my password.

fzkpfw

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I use this feature so i don't need to reenter my password on my windows 8.1 devices :)

Sent from my RM-821 using Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And no concerns about security?

I see nothing wrong with allowing IE to store your passwords on the desktop. Assuming your family members aren't plotting to invade your digital domain, I'd say that is absolutely safe. However, doing so is questionable on a mobile device that is easily lost or stolen.

If you allow IE to remember your passwords, then you should at least also password-protect your lock-screen. Doing neither gives anyone that "finds" your phone the ability to pretend to be you while accessing websites you normally visit. Particularly if you allow IE to maintain browsing history. How bad that is depends largely on what websites you visit from your smartphone.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I use keeper. It generates random passwords and is accessible across windows, WP8.x, ios, etc. I have to enter the master password to get to all my passwords, but can then copy and paste. You have to pay to get the cross-platform feature, but it is worth it to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte