Whatsapp spoiling the face of Windows Phone 8(.1)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Those praising that Whatsapp is "functional and very usable" - uninstall it for 48 hours, have a look at your battery improvement over 2 charge cycles and then we can have a dialogue.

I have ditched the app once I realised that even WP8 app is using the ugly audio hack (still!) its just no longer using the volume control bar so it isn't visible.

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Those praising that Whatsapp is "functional and very usable" - uninstall it for 48 hours, have a look at your battery improvement over 2 charge cycles and then we can have a dialogue.

I have ditched the app once I realised that even WP8 app is using the ugly audio hack (still!) its just no longer using the volume control bar so it isn't visible.
Nobody is going to uninstall it now since its not in store anymore. And nobody knows when will it be available again

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Omg , whatsapp still not properly fixed ?

Really , this is astonishing because MS is such a big company and It couldn't get apps properly to platform.

(They have tie up with Facebook because of integration out of the box and yet it took ages for Instagram to come)

Imagine when whatsapp will be fixed..........heck see Skype as well

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
In it too I'd miss messages, and I'd never even know whether a message was to be received or not. Has happened with WhatsApp, hike, viber and nokia chat beta. Is this what you mean by unreliable ? If yes then its the OS's fault.

I use the OS. I have never experienced that. I am not saying the issue you mentioned doesn't exist. I am just saying the majority of us don't have that issue. If people have an issue say this happens on MY phone. Don't say it happens on ALL or even MOST Windows Phones. Because based on the evidence presented in this forum it clearly does not. I think it is important for people with bugs and issues to post about them and make some noise. I just think the tone of this thread set by the OP is needlessly broad and hyperbolic. Microsoft and Whatsapp have brought a very functional and practical app and service to my phone. I have zero issues with sending and receiving messages in a timely manner and I get all manner of notifications instantaneously. That doesn't mean some other people don't have problems.

And apart from minor cosmetic changes, one big thing bothering is the crash on loading old conversations. It certainly makes WhatsApp less good to use for chats i want to keep.

Whatsapp sucks for looking up old conversations. Even my iphone friends complain. It may not crash on the iphone but it is painfully slow to scroll back more than a couple of days. Crash or no crash Whatsapp is just for recent messages. If I need anything to be more archival I use email or regular text message. Old messaging look up may be terrible on Windows Phone but it's not exactly perfect on iOS. Again we need to separate issues here. People aren't leaving WP because the old message lookup facility on iOS is wonderful. That's the premise of this thread. I don't buy it.

Maybe Whatsapp uses an inordinate amount of battery life. I don't know. With my charging and usage habits battery life hasn't been an issue for me. I am not saying Whatsapp and Windows Phone shouldn't be improved, quite to the contrary. But why is it you guys insist we should agree Whatsapp is totally broken when it in fact works pretty well for the vast majority of us? I am not going to go back to paying an extra $15 a month for text messaging because you don't like whatever Whatsapp kludged together.

Omg , whatsapp still not properly fixed ?

Whatsapp works perfectly on my Lumia 1520 under WP8 and WP8.1. A minority of people seem to have problems though. Just like wifi doesn't work on some iphones. That doesn't mean every iphone lacks wifi.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I use the OS. I have never experienced that. I am not saying the issue you mentioned doesn't exist. I am just saying the majority of us don't have that issue. If people have an issue say this happens on MY phone. Don't say it happens on ALL or even MOST Windows Phones. Because based on the evidence presented in this forum it clearly does not. I think it is important for people with bugs and issues to post about them and make some noise. I just think the tone of this thread set by the OP is needlessly broad and hyperbolic. Microsoft and Whatsapp have brought a very functional and practical app and service to my phone. I have zero issues with sending and receiving messages in a timely manner and I get all manner of notifications instantaneously. That doesn't mean some other people don't have problems.

Whatsapp sucks for looking up old conversations. Even my iphone friends complain. It may not crash on the iphone but it is painfully slow to scroll back more than a couple of days. Crash or no crash Whatsapp is just for recent messages. If I need anything to be more archival I use email or regular text message. Old messaging look up may be terrible on Windows Phone but it's not exactly perfect on iOS. Again we need to separate issues here. People aren't leaving WP because the old message lookup facility on iOS is wonderful. That's the premise of this thread. I don't buy it.

Maybe Whatsapp uses an inordinate amount of battery life. I don't know. With my charging and usage habits battery life hasn't been an issue for me. I am not saying Whatsapp and Windows Phone shouldn't be improved, quite to the contrary. But why is it you guys insist we should agree Whatsapp is totally broken when it in fact works pretty well for the vast majority of us? I am not going to go back to paying an extra $15 a month for text messaging because you don't like whatever Whatsapp kludged together.

Whatsapp works perfectly on my Lumia 1520 under WP8 and WP8.1. A minority of people seem to have problems though. Just like wifi doesn't work on some iphones. That doesn't mean every iphone lacks wifi.

Just look at the app ratings in the 3 stores. 4.4 stars on Android. 4.5 stars on Apple. Now I don't recall the reading in the store, but believe me, it was nothing close. There's obviously an issue with the app on WP.

Last edited:

Naren Parker

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I am using WhatsApp on my 920 right now. Even with the recent update to the developer preview, the battery discharge rate is just too much. Good luck with a H+ connection and WhatsApp running. The battery drains fast and the phone starts to overheat. But I don't have much options. Not many friends are on hike, viber and even Skype is pretty unreliable on WP. They need to up their ante and give us a stable app which plays well with the new multitasking features of WP8.1. A friend of mine was genuinely interested in getting the 520 to replace his ageing entry level Android and the first thing he enquired about was how good WhatsApp is. I assured him that updates are definitely inbound and its only a matter of time. But yes, such lapses can cause apprehension for new users and they can steer away from the platform. Sad state of affairs but highly true.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Just look at the app ratings in the 3 stores. 4.4 stars on Android. 4.5 stars on Apple. Now I don't recall the reading in the store, but believe me, it was nothing close. There's obviously an issue with the app on WP.

That's HUGE difference considering :

Playstore ~13 million ratings - around 4.5 stars

WP store ~43000 ratings - around 3 stars

AppStore ~150000 ratings - around 4.5 stars

(India and US store combined for WP and AppStore)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Let me recall for you. It was a three something. So even with you guys skewing the poll downwards it wasn't a one or two. Look man just because you had a one experience does that mean I should totally ignore my four star experience and delete the app and go back to paying my carrier $15 a month? Why can't you guys acknowledge that the app works fine for most people? Please guys stop with the over the top MSFT and Whatsapp bashing. Something is wrong for some people but for most of us it is fine. Go to the wpcentral article talking about this matter and the vast majority of people say the app works for them. Just accept reality. I have a Lumia 1520 running 8.1. My notifications with Whatsapp are instant. I'm sorry. I don't know what to tell you.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Everyone doesn't have the same phone as you mate. You may be lucky. If you see the Official Whatsapp thread, there are several users there reporting bugs that they are facing.

Just the regular 925, and my wife has the 720, whatsapp works fine. It had it's issues about a month ago, messages wouldn't get delivered but it only lasted for a day. I know it doesn't have nice backgrounds and nifty features that android and iOS versions do (I think they do at least, it's been over 6 months since I last used whatsapp on android, and I've never had an iPhone), but it delivers texts more reliably than messenger (which is nowhere to be found in 8.1 anyway). I guess I'm lucky, but it's WP, hardware is more or less the same, it's strange that an app wouldn't work on some devices.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Let me recall for you. It was a three something. So even with you guys skewing the poll downwards it wasn't a one or two. Look man just because you had a one experience does that mean I should totally ignore my four star experience and delete the app and go back to paying my carrier $15 a month? Why can't you guys acknowledge that the app works fine for most people? Please guys stop with the over the top MSFT and Whatsapp bashing. Something is wrong for some people but for most of us it is fine. Go to the wpcentral article talking about this matter and the vast majority of people say the app works for them. Just accept reality. I have a Lumia 1520 running 8.1. My notifications with Whatsapp are instant. I'm sorry. I don't know what to tell you.

What makes you assume that 3 something is acceptable rating?
Also, what makes you assume that WhatsApp removed the app because of people complaining about its quality?
And what makes you think that people who have issues with WhatsApp have to shut up about it because others aren't having an issue with it?

The official WhatsApp thread for WP has over 3,000 messages in it. I don't think they're all sharing how great the app is. Over at AndroidCentral, the largest WhatsApp thread has 16 messages... WhatsApp for Android - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I had to contact WhatsApp through email.
This is my msg: "Hi WhatsApp.
These are the issues which I'm facing in the app:
1) When the phone is a bit hot the app force closes.
2) When I switch to any other app for multitasking and when I come back to WhatsApp the app force closes.
3) When I want to see my chat history and keep scrolling up the app force closes after loading some messages.
4) The app force closes when I'm sending several pictures (or even one picture sometimes) and when I view them inside the app.
5) It takes a long time for the app to open and load messages, whereas I saw even in low end Android phones the app loads within a blink of an eye. Please increases the performance.
I hope you guys will take these issues seriously and fix them asap. Waiting for an update soon, and please also update for WP 8.1!".
And after a long time this is what they replied: "Hi,
Thanks for your message. Sorry for the delay! We have received many emails recently, and we do our best to answer them all. Thank you for your patience.
We appreciate your feedback, but we do not have an update yet available for Windows Phone. However, our developers are working hard on providing you with a high quality update soon. Unfortunately, we cannot comment on specifics or give timelines, but do know that we are working on a Windows Phone update."

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I had to contact WhatsApp through email.
This is my msg: "Hi WhatsApp.
These are the issues which I'm facing in the app:
1) When the phone is a bit hot the app force closes.
2) When I switch to any other app for multitasking and when I come back to WhatsApp the app force closes.
3) When I want to see my chat history and keep scrolling up the app force closes after loading some messages.
4) The app force closes when I'm sending several pictures (or even one picture sometimes) and when I view them inside the app.
5) It takes a long time for the app to open and load messages, whereas I saw even in low end Android phones the app loads within a blink of an eye. Please increases the performance.
I hope you guys will take these issues seriously and fix them asap. Waiting for an update soon, and please also update for WP 8.1!".
And after a long time this is what they replied: "Hi,
Thanks for your message. Sorry for the delay! We have received many emails recently, and we do our best to answer them all. Thank you for your patience.
We appreciate your feedback, but we do not have an update yet available for Windows Phone. However, our developers are working hard on providing you with a high quality update soon. Unfortunately, we cannot comment on specifics or give timelines, but do know that we are working on a Windows Phone update."
3&4
Let me guess the "person" that replied you is Jami T. isn't it? )) they send same msg to everybody

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Before wpcentral updated article on WhatsApp I asked them why they removed it today I got reply stating that wp8.1 dev preview has some issue .
This is the reply.

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback on Windows Phone OS 8.1.

Currently, WhatsApp doesn?t support the developer preview version of Windows Phone. Some features won't work properly.

Our OS 8.1 version is in the works, but we cannot speak for future timelines or features.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We would be happy to help!

manvuk

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I cant say that whatsapp is fully broken too, BUT its perfomance is very poor. I dont care for backgrounds, but when receive a toast and i hit it i expect an app to open itself on dedicated person's chat window, not anybody else's! The same thing as for notifications in action center, if i hit John's notification, why the hell whatsapp opens itself on Taylor's window and i have to wait for that about 10 seconds to load up?! Then have to click back for chats window and look for new messages. Insane! Everyone else with the same issue? Its very frustrating....

Sent from my Lumia 720 using Tapatalk

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
What makes you assume that 3 something is acceptable rating?

Are they having a sale on stawmen today? Quote for us where I said that. All I recall doing was pointing out that after a cursory look at the data set it did not appear to have a normal distribution. I didn't go to the same university as you so maybe they did things differently at your school. How can you analyze an average if you don't know what the distribution looks like?

Also, what makes you assume that WhatsApp removed the app because of people complaining about its quality?

Another strawman?! Really can't people make their point without just making stuff up about people?

And what makes you think that people who have issues with WhatsApp have to shut up about it because others aren't having an issue with it?

Here is the proof you are lying about me....

If people have an issue say this happens on MY phone.

The official WhatsApp thread for WP has over 3,000 messages in it. I don't think they're all sharing how great the app is. Over at AndroidCentral, the largest WhatsApp thread has 16 messages... WhatsApp for Android - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I've never been to the "official" thread of any of the apps I've owned. It's normal for people who are having issues to complain on the internet and for those who are not to often be the silent majority. What I can say is when wpcentral posts a front page story about Whatsapp the vast majority of people who do comment say it works on their phone. I've already stated this earlier in this thread and as with all evidence that doesn't support the OP's thesis you guys ignored it. I don't go looking for Whatsapp threads because it works on my phone and I wasn't aware people were having issues. But you guys have started so many hair on fire threads about it that I've finally felt compelled to say something.

Honestly, I have an issue on my phone where it spontaneously reboots if I watch a 4k video on youtube. I think it is good to voice your experience in a reasonable balanced fashion on the internet but the first thing I did was download the MSFT bug reporting app and recreate the error. I then sent a report in to MSFT with a short explanation. Now what I would like to know is how many people screaming bloody murder in this thread have done the same with Whatsapp. My guess is probably the minority... if any. Now which course of action do you think is more useful for informing MSFT and actually getting the bug fixed?

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Whatsapp has pulled out their app from the Windows Phone store because it has critical bugs. For all those who were ranting that Whatsapp has no issues can take back their statement.

Just imagine the number of people buying WP and when they get to know for the time being there is no Whatspp..Their first impression would be wtf? No whatsapp ? What a pathetic phone and waste of money....The sales of the new Nokia Lumia 630 and other WP models will definitely suffer with the current state of affairs. I made this thread before Whatsapp could remove the app from the store and now the title perfectly suits it. :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb