Whatsapp spoiling the face of Windows Phone 8(.1)

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
yes buddy. i was and still planning a hard reset of my phone, and just now stopped. though with bugs, at least i am having it. and it is really one of the important socially connection for me, which i use not on daily but on hourly basis. and not just for fun, but some serious connectivity with frnds and family.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Whatsapp has pulled out their app from the Windows Phone store because it has critical bugs. For all those who were ranting that Whatsapp has no issues can take back their statement.

The only person that has said Whatsapp has no issues is the strawman people keep making up in their heads.

Just imagine the number of people buying WP and when they get to know for the time being there is no Whatspp..Their first impression would be wtf? No whatsapp ? What a pathetic phone and waste of money....

Most people are rational and have lives. They will understand if Whatsapp is taken out of the app store for a few weeks for a tune up. That type of thing happens with multiple apps across all platforms. Don't get me wrong there will be some irrational hair on fire types but most people will take it in stride. It's a temporarily MIA app... not a miscarriage.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't know whether it's worth answering your thread or not. You're pretty aggressive and judgmental, but I'll give it a shot cause I don't think the topic is worth this much hostility nor it seems a matter of life and death for such harsh disagreement.
Are they having a sale on stawmen today? Quote for us where I said that. All I recall doing was pointing out that after a cursory look at the data set it did not appear to have a normal distribution. I didn't go to the same university as you so maybe they did things differently at your school. How can you analyze an average if you don't know what the distribution looks like?
So you would like to me to run a Hypothesis T-test on 2 population mean to see if the difference between a 3.1 average and a 4.5 average is significant? You expect it to be not significant because of the higher standard deviation in the Windows Phone reviews? Come on CitizenX! This is not market research we?re running here and others went to school as well. You replied to my statement that the rating difference signifies a major lack in the WhatsApp version of WP, and hence my answer.
[QUOTE/]Look man just because you had a one experience does that mean I should totally ignore my four star experience and delete the app and go back to paying my carrier $15 a month? [/QUOTE]
The above is why this is why I assumed you meant the app was removed because of its ratings. If no, my mistake.
And to your disagreement with me asking you ?And what makes you think that people who have issues with WhatsApp have to shut up about it because others aren't having an issue with it?? The reason is your quote below.
[QUOTE/]Why can't you guys acknowledge that the app works fine for most people? [/QUOTE]

What would you have done if you were experiencing the issues others are experiencing? You would have complained about it! That's what people do! They give low ratings for apps that don't work for them and go to forums to complain and try and find solutions for their issues and make a buzz around things that don't work.

I conclude... There are obviously enough people dissatisfied with WhatsApp driving them to lower ratings and complaining about the app. Until it's fixed you don't have to uninstall WhatsApp and pay $15 per month. I certainly I'm not uninstalling the app either. Just chill, enjoy the app working for you, and allow the rest of us to vent with peace :)

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
What would you have done if you were experiencing the issues others are experiencing? You would have complained about it!

There is a difference between saying there is an issue with an app on MY phone and the delusional rant that kicked this thread off. And you know exactly what I would do. I put it in writing in this thread. I'll give you a hint. It involved downloading the bug reporting tool from MSFT and doing something constructive with my life.

So you would like to me to run a Hypothesis T-test on 2 population mean to see if...

If you need to. But if you understand how statistics work and you took a cursory look at the data set you would see with the number of one star ratings from people like you there must be a high number of four and five star ratings as well for you to end up with an average in the 3s. I mean you can go through a bunch of arcane calculations or you can use common sense. Like I said. Look at the wpcentral front page news feed. Read the comments. The positive comments on each Whatsapp story outweigh the negatives. There are obviously problems with Whatsapp but most people are in my camp. It works for us and it does what it needs to do. Time to tone down the hysteria and get some perspective. The app will be back and hopefully the major bugs that affect the minority of users will be fixed.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
There is a difference between saying there is an issue with an app on MY phone and the delusional rant that kicked this thread off. And you know exactly what I would do. I put it in writing in this thread. I'll give you a hint. It involved downloading the bug reporting tool from MSFT and doing something constructive with my life.

To date, I've submitted 4 diagnostics to MS using the app.

If you need to. But if you understand how statistics work and you took a cursory look at the data set you would see with the number of one star ratings from people like you there must be a high number of four and five star ratings as well for you to end up with an average in the 3s. I mean you can go through a bunch of arcane calculations or you can use common sense. Like I said. Look at the wpcentral front page news feed. Read the comments. The positive comments on each Whatsapp story outweigh the negatives. There are obviously problems with Whatsapp but most people are in my camp. It works for us and it does what it needs to do. Time to tone down the hysteria and get some perspective. The app will be back and hopefully the major bugs that affect the minority of users will be fixed.

It is indeed time to tone down the hysteria (on both ends). Hopefully it will be fixed and republished. I won't go down the road of most vs. minority. To each his own. And I do understand Statistics enough to know what the average and distribution around it mean for the 3.1 rating of WhatsApp. I actually do analytics for a living.

Have a great week.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
To date, I've submitted 4 diagnostics to MS using the app.

I applaud you. That is exactly what you are supposed to do when encountering a bug.

I won't go down the road of most vs. minority. To each his own.

Actually no. People are entitled to their opinions but they are not entitled to their own set of facts. Prior to even being aware of this thread I analyzed the Whatsapp ratings in the marketplace and the comments following multiple wpcentral homepage articles and I came to the conclusion the number of people who were generally happy with the app out numbered those who were not. No one in this thread or any other has refuted that assessment. That is critical.

How widespread a problem is is indeed crucial to know. The content of the OP in that regard is completely irresponsible and a slanderous distortion. If you have a multiple bugs that render an app worthless to 25% of paying users but the majority of users are happy with the app that is a problem... it is a major problem. But it is not fraud. What the OP was insinuating is fraud and criminality. If you take money from consumers for a product that is 100% useless for the vast majority of consumers that is fraud. That is NOT what is happening here.

And to Whatsapp's credit even though there were plenty of 4 and 5 star ratings they pulled the app. I'm still waiting for Apple to pull multiple generations of iphones because of the well documented wifi bug which renders the phone crippled to useless. No word yet from the geniuses.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Actually no. People are entitled to their opinions but they are not entitled to their own set of facts.

You're right. Your approach is valid. But this is the nature of statistics. You can take the same set of numbers and come to any conclusion you want. I guess you could say to each his interpretation of facts. Not each his opinion. Even scientist, base research on the same data set and conclude opposing interpretation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon